PDA

View Full Version : Relocating my intercooler

HwyCruiser
06-22-2006, 09:22 PM
I decided that I wanted to relocate my intercooler from the chin (or horizontal) mount it was originally installed in and tuck it up out of sight and out of harms way. Easy enough, just get the other pipes for the grill mount and move it right?

Well, not wanting the intercooler visible at all, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to still tuck the intercooler just far enough up in front of the radiator so that it got its air from the front lower air dams instead of the grill. I also wanted to minimize additional tubing so it wouldn't take a big hit on additional pressure drop. So I had it in my mind that I was going to fabricate a ram air scoop to collect the air across all four air dams and funnel it across the intercooler. Heck, might as well throw in a lower grill mod while I was at it.

Now that I'm done, I figured I'd share the initial results to show that there is a 3rd viable location for the 2-core Procharger air-to-air intercooler. Since pics are worth a 1000 words, I'll just show you what I did...

Pic of the intercooler scoop on the bench (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/icscoop2.JPG)
Side view of intercooler and scoop installed (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/icinstalledside.JPG)
Front view of air dams with lower grill mod done (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/complete.JPG)
Pic of the final result (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/park.JPG)

The scoop was the most labor intensive because I had to do a lot of measuring, mock up, fitting, and learning how to use aluminum brazing rod to put it together. Using brazing rod to mechanically join sheet aluminum is a whole other topic, but I'll tell you it works very well.

I haven't noticed a any significant drop in boost, reduced performance, or increased engine temperatures while driving around for the past few weeks. In fact, I've noticed a slightly lower cruising IAT from what I saw with the chin mount. Time will tell how the relocation impacts performance at the track, but so far I am happy with the effort... if for no other reason than I don't have to look at the intercooler anymore or worry about it hitting anything.

MENINBLK
06-22-2006, 09:27 PM
That looks like an excellent job !!!

snowbird
06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
JD,

Look very efficient. The air have nowhere to go but through the intercooler. Congrats !

As i started myself fooling around with aluminum, i do know pictures don't tell all the story about the time it takes to fit those panels !! :)

Marauderjack
06-23-2006, 03:28 AM
JD.....

I really didn't like the bright aluminum behind my grill and asked Mike Kromer about a dusting of black paint??:confused: He said many have done it with no I'll effects and so far it has worked for me and you cannot see the intercooler unless you really try!!:banana:

I admire your creativeness and fabrication ability!!:bows:

I also remember asking Greg about the "Chin Mount" and knocking it off in a parking lot?? That location was not for me and I didn't buy the PC for a long time because of that mounting arrangement!!:mad: Glad someone came up with the high mount and now your configuration!!:beer:

Good Luck!

Marauderjack:burnout:

Brutus
06-23-2006, 05:01 AM
I was lucky enough to get a preview of this a few weeks ago. Great job JD! What did you use to braze the aluminum? I came across a product at a truck show that would seem perfect for this. You just use a propane torch. Sounds like what you did.

SergntMac
06-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Excellent work, congrats!

magindat
06-23-2006, 05:42 AM
We mounted Marc's IC similarly without the extra ductwork. His was a 3-core, though. Worked well.

Nice job, dude.

Zack
06-23-2006, 05:42 AM
Looks great JD. Much better than before.

ckadiddle
06-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Nice work, Excellent photos.

merc
06-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Now that's the ticket I have been looking for. Very nice indeed :banana: Now if you could add a NX Spray bar http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400229+313856&autoview=sku

Rider90
06-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Looks awesome, all the diamond plate work on your car is amazing.

HwyCruiser
06-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the complements, it was a lot of work to cook up the scoop but now I have a pattern if anyone would like to duplicate this for their FIT kit. I'd even entertain making another one if any of my FIT brothers are interested.

I did have to add an additional 3 close 90 degree elbows to drop the intercooler outlet and transition it around the driver's side of the radiator (you can see the blue silicon elbows on the side view pic). The intercooler is rotated 180 degrees from the typical installation to put the inlet at the same level as the blower discharge tubing. The existing intercooler side mounting tabs worked nicely to secure it to the cross support in front of the radiator. All the low tubing is nicely hidden up in the fascia side pockets now. Also, what the pics don't show are two arms that extend the sides of the scoop to grab air from the two outside air dams. Yeah, I'd say this sucker is getting air.

As far as a 3-core working in this position, it's almost 3 feet wide inlet to outlet without tubing so I I'm pretty sure it won't fit in the front radiator compartment without getting really creative. I'm pretty sure MarauderMarc had a 2-core since that was what TMF had on his kit IIRC.

I was lucky enough to get a preview of this a few weeks ago. Great job JD! What did you use to braze the aluminum? I came across a product at a truck show that would seem perfect for this. You just use a propane torch. Sounds like what you did.

I used HTS 2000 brazing rod:
http://www.newtechnologyproducts.com/faqs.asp

Watch the video, it's pretty neat stuff. About $2 a rod if you just order their starter kit. I only used 2 rods on this project so it goes a long way. When they say it is stronger than the aluminum you're repairing / joining, they aren't kidding. It takes some grinding to knock it down once it solidifies. I also used a MAP gas torch bought from Home Depot, which worked much better and faster with this stuff than a regular propane torch.

HwyCruiser
06-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Now that's the ticket I have been looking for. Very nice indeed :banana: Now if you could add a NX Spray bar http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400229+313856&autoview=sku

;) 7654321

shakes_26
06-23-2006, 10:24 AM
JD,

Thats nice fabrication work, thanks for the info on the brazing rods.

I thought I'd seen something like those before and it just seemed gimmicky, but appears to work.

Brutus
06-23-2006, 12:22 PM
I used HTS 2000 brazing rod:
http://www.newtechnologyproducts.com/faqs.asp

Watch the video, it's pretty neat stuff. About $2 a rod if you just order their starter kit. I only used 2 rods on this project so it goes a long way. When they say it is stronger than the aluminum you're repairing / joining, they aren't kidding. It takes some grinding to knock it down once it solidifies. I also used a MAP gas torch bought from Home Depot, which worked much better and faster with this stuff than a regular propane torch.

I think thats the same one. I got some literature somewhere. The guy in the booth was demonstrating on aluminum cans. Real neat stuff. As far as adding the extra elbows, do you see a drop in boost?

Brutus
06-23-2006, 12:26 PM

Do I smell another FIT kit? By the way, send me your number and I will call you.

HwyCruiser
06-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I think thats the same one. I got some literature somewhere. The guy in the booth was demonstrating on aluminum cans. Real neat stuff. As far as adding the extra elbows, do you see a drop in boost?

Since I have a mechanical boost gauge mounted on the pod in place of the cig lighter, it's hard to get a very precise reading, but it seems to pull hard right up to 8-1/2 to 9 psi like before. I'm still running the 380 pulley and don't see any reason to go back to the 370 now, but that was my contingency if I did notice a big hit to the boost.

Looks awesome, all the diamond plate work on your car is amazing.

Thanks, but I think I may be developing an unhealthy fetish for diamond plate. :D

Seriously, the 2' x 4' x 1/16" diamond plate aluminum sheet is readily available at the local Tractor Supply store fairly reasonably, so I just roll with it.

merc
06-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Do I smell another FIT kit? By the way, send me your number and I will call you.

I have been tossing around several ideas. The first was to change the bottom end and turbo charge the beast. After considering the cost and fabrication time, that idea dropped to the bottom of the list. The FIT kit looks to serve several of my requirements, but I don’t want to change anything until the end of the race season. Having a N/A car in bracket racing makes better sense to me at this time. Gaining a full second will not buy me much on the track for what I do.

MarauderTJA
06-23-2006, 06:43 PM
I have been tossing around several ideas. The first was to change the bottom end and turbo charge the beast. After considering the cost and fabrication time, that idea dropped to the bottom of the list. The FIT kit looks to serve several of my requirements, but I don’t want to change anything until the end of the race season. Having a N/A car in bracket racing makes better sense to me at this time. Gaining a full second will not buy me much on the track for what I do.

Oh go ahead Merc and just Procharge your car. You will be extremely happy with the power. All you have to do is change your bracket time after a few runs to determine you average time. That's the great part on bracket racing. I think you will gain serious respect at the track IMO.:D

MarauderTJA
06-23-2006, 06:45 PM
I decided that I wanted to relocate my intercooler from the chin (or horizontal) mount it was originally installed in and tuck it up out of sight and out of harms way. Easy enough, just get the other pipes for the grill mount and move it right?

Well, not wanting the intercooler visible at all, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to still tuck the intercooler just far enough up in front of the radiator so that it got its air from the front lower air dams instead of the grill. I also wanted to minimize additional tubing so it wouldn't take a big hit on additional pressure drop. So I had it in my mind that I was going to fabricate a ram air scoop to collect the air across all four air dams and funnel it across the intercooler. Heck, might as well throw in a lower grill mod while I was at it.

Now that I'm done, I figured I'd share the initial results to show that there is a 3rd viable location for the 2-core Procharger air-to-air intercooler. Since pics are worth a 1000 words, I'll just show you what I did...

Pic of the intercooler scoop on the bench (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/icscoop2.JPG)
Side view of intercooler and scoop installed (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/icinstalledside.JPG)
Front view of air dams with lower grill mod done (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/complete.JPG)
Pic of the final result (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/park.JPG)

The scoop was the most labor intensive because I had to do a lot of measuring, mock up, fitting, and learning how to use aluminum brazing rod to put it together. Using brazing rod to mechanically join sheet aluminum is a whole other topic, but I'll tell you it works very well.

I haven't noticed a any significant drop in boost, reduced performance, or increased engine temperatures while driving around for the past few weeks. In fact, I've noticed a slightly lower cruising IAT from what I saw with the chin mount. Time will tell how the relocation impacts performance at the track, but so far I am happy with the effort... if for no other reason than I don't have to look at the intercooler anymore or worry about it hitting anything.

JD awesome job! I however still like my scoop and location of the intercooler under the front air dam. But then again I have a habit of backing in with the car, not worrying on hitting anything. But to each his own.:D

HwyCruiser
06-23-2006, 07:06 PM
JD awesome job! I however still like my scoop and location of the intercooler under the front air dam. But then again I have a habit of backing in with the car, not worrying on hitting anything. But to each his own.:D

No issues with me brother, I ran with the horizontal scoop for a year with only a couple of incidents - none bad enough to cause anything more than a couple of cosmetic scratches to the powercoating. You just have remain aware of it and love the aggressive look that it brings. Having alternatives to the "race position" is a good thing for other customers that want to run stealth and/or maximum clearance.

Funny story about the horizontal scoop though: I was riding around Cedar Falls with TMF right after his install and I noticed an empty milk jug in the middle of the road. It was dark and John must not have seen it because he nailed it dead center and dragged it under the scoop for a half city block. He finally had to back up to chuck it.

You could play some pretty good field hockey with a team of FIT cars, lol.

merc
06-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Not to hijack a great thread, but HwyCruiser has taken on a new look. It's that freshly out of jail look. Now back to your regularly scheduled pro charger programming. Oh, I love the new hair style.

HwyCruiser
06-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Not to hijack a great thread, but HwyCruiser has taken on a new look. It's that freshly out of jail look. Now back to your regularly scheduled pro charger programming. Oh, I love the new hair style.

Shoot. Ah hell, I'll put it back up for a little while and see how it feels. Yours was the inspiration.

EDIT: Nope, I wasn't feeling it. :D