PDA

View Full Version : Recertification of Widened Rims

Master
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Has anyone had trouble getting a shop to install tires on the widened rims? Should I assume none of the widened rims are street driven? Are the rims recertified after the widening? I figure if anyone is up on what is and isn't legal or what would leave us open to a law suit, its you guys. Hope you can help.

Master
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey, neat! I just realized that my memberships status has been promoted to "Senior". Wahoo!

Cheeseheadbob
06-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I drive with my widened wheels and Nitto 305 DR's everyday.
Should I assume none of the widened rims are street driven?

LVMarauder
06-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Martyo? I know theres another attourney here too.

Master
06-23-2006, 01:13 PM
What we do vs what is legal and what would get us sued in the event of an accident can be quite different things. I drive at 95 every day, too, but am pretty sure the law suite would be ugly if I hit someone.

FiveO
06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
My Marauder is driven all the time on the streets with the widened rims.

What would be illegal about it? If mods were illegal then almost everyone here would need to spend some time in the pokey... :)

Another legitimate question would be....who would sue you for widening your rims?

SergntMac
06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I do not believe the widened wheels are recertified. Can't really say the OEM wheels are certified to begin with, but I apprreciate your point.

I've had a set for 3 years now, and never a problem getting tire service from the larger companies, i.e. Discount Tires and Just Tires. Both have worked with my wheels, without such questions. Strikes me as something to stand behind when they do not want to touch custom stuff.

martyo
06-23-2006, 02:19 PM
I do not believe the widened wheels are recertified. Can't really say the OEM wheels are certified to begin with, but I apprreciate your point.

I've had a set for 3 years now, and never a problem getting tire service from the larger companies, i.e. Discount Tires and Just Tires. Both have worked with my wheels, without such questions. Strikes me as something to stand behind when they do not want to touch custom stuff.

What Mac said.

martyo
06-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Another legitimate question would be....who would sue you for widening your rims?

The point would be if you have a wreck someone could try to find liability. As an attorney, I will tell you that there is some merit to the idea, but I have never heard of a case where someone had an issue like that come up. I will ask around among my fellow attorneys who practice in the personal injury arena.

Master
06-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Very much appreciated. I don't see a problem if the mod is done by a reputable shop that is selling these items as a finished product (ie some of our vendors).
What brought this to the fore was my local tire shop - a large one at that - that said they wouldn't mount tires on any rim that had in any way been modified. They stated that it violated provincial laws. Never heard of such a law, but what do I know, right? The point for me would be that I'd have two thousand dollar rims that couldn't be used for lack of a shop that would mount the tires. I guess I could have our Vendor mount and balance the tires before shipment. That would work the first time. After that, though, it would be a trip to the States to have tires changed :(

John F. Russo
06-26-2006, 05:58 AM
What Mac said.

Why do your tires stick out beyond the car body?

STLR FN
06-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Why do your tires stick out beyond the car body?They are slicks.

Master
06-26-2006, 07:32 AM
The cops or inspection station would pull you over if it was about tires beyond the body of the car (or for running slicks on the street). In this case, its all about having a rim that was cut and welded. Picture a rear blowout that causes an accident because of a modified rim. Lawyers would have a field day with everone from the shop that cut and sold them, to the person who bought them, to the people who mounted them. No offence to the lawyers in the group, but chasing stuff like that is how you get paid, so I can only imagine you'd have a hoot sueing people.

FordNut
06-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the info, it would be better for those of us who like them to not beat on this subject until the shop where we get it done stops the practice.

John F. Russo
06-26-2006, 07:55 AM
They are slicks.

Thank you.

sailsmen
06-26-2006, 08:02 AM
You can carry this on to infiniteum.

Louder amp prevented you from hearing, tinted windows prevented you from seeing, CAI gave you more HP, briter headlites blinded the other driver.

There are so many members that increase their HP by 100+ and do not upgrade there brakes. I would be more concerned about that then wider rims.

FiveO
06-26-2006, 09:34 PM
The point would be if you have a wreck someone could try to find liability. As an attorney, I will tell you that there is some merit to the idea, but I have never heard of a case where someone had an issue like that come up. I will ask around among my fellow attorneys who practice in the personal injury arena.

Well if thats the argument then every aftermarket rim or even different tires (not specified by the manufacturer) would be subject to liability.

Or so I'd think... :)

younga1
06-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Been doing battle for over 10+ years with the Personal Injury or "Bottom half of the law school class" as another attorney so eloquently put it and have never had one of them argue liability based on any modification to the vehicle. I have heard them argue some crazy things but nothing this reaching. (yet)

teamrope
06-26-2006, 10:58 PM
A lot of us are missing the fact that Master is in Nova Scotia. Different countries have different laws. I know for a fact that a German MM owner (If there was such a thing) would run into the same problem, only they would ask if it had passed TUV. In Germany every almost every automotive product sold must be TUV certified.

Marauderjack
06-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Several tire chains WILL NOT INSTALL anything but OEM tires....They claim liability fears??:argue:

I would not be very happy if I was forced to go back to "Dem Crappy" BFG's!!:mad2:

Has anyone asked Weldcraft about this??:confused:

Marauderjack:burnout:

GreekGod
06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
It is my understanding the USDOT "certifies" wheels for use and sale in the USA. I imagine they are tested by the DOT for meeting minimum standards, just as tires are.

SergntMac
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Y'all give too much credit to the tag "D.O.T. certified" approval. No actual product is handed over to the D.O.T. for testing prior to approval, they are not UL, or, Consumer Reports, K? No labs, no long term road tests...Sorry to disappoint y'all.

The D.O.T (like the FDA and OSHA) only sets specifications for specific products, which are posted as a requirement. The manufacturer/importer seeking US. sales approval submits sworn documentation that their product meets these specifications. These specs (and at the very best, blueprints and design sketches, and only for spot-checks) maybe get a peek every once in a while. However, once the paperwork is submitted, a D.O.T. number is assigned to the product, which is approval to distribute in American markets. No actual product, or, real world testing of product ever passes through US. Government hands, labs, testing, or, inspection. It's all paperwork, K?

When the US. Government sets a standard for performance, it's a minimum standard. Look at USDA certifications of meats, poultry and eggs. The standards for "grade A" are at the top of the list, yes, but who would buy the very top of the "grade B" meats, even though they may be superior to the minimum "grade A" standards. Likewise eggs, a "jumbo" egg is a government standard for size, not quality, or, freshness. "Extra-Large", "large" and "medium" eggs are likewise size rated, and have nothing to do with quality. The "freshness" approval comes from local agencies, what we call our "health departments", but not the US. Government.

Back on topic...To my humble knowledge at this time, there is no D.O.T. certification for wheels. Yes, there are standards set in stone for size in all dimensions, what a wheel will fit. But, this means to serve uniformity in applications, not durability in a specific application.

While I appreciate Master's query, it's not a problem we encounter in the US., unless the tire store franchise we visit has a "company policy".

IMHO, since these same franchises are also very willing to sell us aftermarket wheels and "plus one" upgrades in tires, it all seems a moot point, yes? Their corporate "canned reply" i.e. "we cannot do this" must have at least one "unless you buy that stuff us" bargaining chip in there, somewhere...

Sad to think Master lives in a country where it's "OEM" or, nothing...Talk about restraint of trade...Whew!

BTW, not one "US. D.O.T. approved" tire has ever actually passed through US. Government physical testing, or, inspection prior to it's release for public consumption. Lab examinations and testing have been done, but only after a complaint has been lodged. Google the Firestone/Ford Explorer stuff for more details?

DEFYANT
06-27-2006, 07:15 PM
It's all about contributing circumstances. Meaning, if the rim split or failed because of the widening, then yes you could be liable for the crash.

To my knowlege, there is no certification for rims in Maryland traffic law.

GreekGod
06-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks, Sgt. Mac for your detailed explanation of the DOT's duties. In short, the US Govt. requires manufacturers or labs to "certify" their product meets minimum standards. Got it!

Master
07-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Well, this has certainly been an interesting discussion. I thank you all very much for your contributions. My plan, as a Nova Scotian, is to take the bare, widened rims to a shop to have the new tires mounted - For Race Only. not on the car - no foul. What I do with them afterward will be up to me.
Now - What is my best tire for the street that I could use for occassional autocrosses or drags, that won't pose any interference or "supply and demand" issues?
Thanks again, all,
David

FordNut
07-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Either Nitto 555 or Goodyear Eagle F1, both available in 295/45-18

Master
07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
THanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out.

Marauderjack
07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
FWIW.....I spoke with a company that widens rims and they said that there is no "Certification" of OEM's just a BIG company to back them up!!:bows:

This company's widened rims of all types go on HIGH PERFORMANCE vehicles all the time and get more abuse than any OEM's do....and guess what.....NO FAILURES!!:banana:

Lawyers that are groping for straws in a flimsy case may go after the wheels but it would be a long hard road based on all of the HI-PO success stories.....but it could happen??:confused:

My $0.02 FWIW??;)

Marauderjack