PDA

View Full Version : Headers/Exhaust options

jstevens
06-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Before you say it, I know this has been discussed for the last 3 years, but I would appreciate all of your collective wisdom.

My main concern is to keep my vehicle as the sleeper it is, therefore I have ruled out the Kooks set up as it being loud and sometimes I have to use my car for business travel.
(Of course, I plan on going for some rides in the near future)

That leaves me with the FRC Cobra shorty headers and X-pipe or DR Cobra manifold system.

I know that I can expect a 30hp/30tq gain out of either of these choices.
Is that measurable by the time slip and seat of the pants meter?

What exactly is the difference between the FRC Cobra Shorty headers and DR Cobra manifold? Are the headers more free flowing?

mpearce
06-24-2006, 08:20 PM
John,

I wouldn't completely rule out the long tubes all together. How about a set of Kooks, or Stainless Works (headers only) then have Lidio's guy go custom the rest of the way? This may eliminate some of the unwanted extra noise with the rest of the system, while still gaining the performance benefit of the long tubes. I'm sure Lidio's guy can help you remain a bit more on the quiet side. See what he says...you may be surprised. Good luck with your choice.

-Mat

Marauder_Santa
06-24-2006, 09:40 PM
I have the Shorty headers with X pipe and Magnaflow 18" with stock tips. Quiet inside and nice sound outside. I had the Flowmaster 40's and tried the 50's and did not like the sound. The 40's sounded great with the stock exaust though.

The shorty headers are a lot cheaper to install - not as labor intensive as the Kooks. I have been told that the shorty's and kooks come close as far as performance gain

As far as I know the DR system and shorty header system is one in the same.

Bigdough
06-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Can we use long tubes made for the 03 Cobras/Mach 1's??

fastblackmerc
06-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Can we use long tubes made for the 03 Cobras/Mach 1's??
I believe if you use long tube headers you'll lose low-end torque.

LVMarauder
06-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Kooks gives mad power on the top end. slight loss of low end i hear. But if your worried about being too loud why not keep the stock mufflers on.

jstevens
06-25-2006, 12:23 PM
I want just a tad more authority while maintaining the luxury ride the MM is. That said, I just don't want to increase the noise level with no more power gained.

If I'm going to go a little louder, I want some more ooompf. While at the same time, if I have to take people out for business I don't want them to think they're in a dedicated drag car.

I know its a fine line.

sailsmen
06-25-2006, 01:15 PM
I have the DR Cobra system with 2+ years and 40K+ miles and no problems.

I am happy with the system.:D

Smokie
06-25-2006, 01:30 PM
The Kooks are not stealthy at all, they make a statement that anyone can hear, my personal opinion is the Shorty headers look better than the Cobra manifolds, as far as performance the shorties took my 60' from an average of 2.28 to 2.15 so I don't feel my low end suffered when I was N/A.

My car with a complete exhaust from the shorties to the 18" Magnaflows sound about the same as stock, when I get on it is when you can tell they are louder and the tone is a little deeper.

After S/C'ing with base T-kit I have a little over 400 rwhp, research will tell you this is about 25 ponies better than average...that's my story and I'm sticking to it....;)

SergntMac
06-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Shorty headers and Cobra manifolds are two different approaches to exhaust mods, though equal in performance gains, IMHO.

Just recently, I installed Kook's headers, with 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, high flow cats and X-pipe, with newer Maganflow 18 mufflers on the KB #1x. Resonator delete tips were in place. Loudness increased 2x over my previous exhaust system, the DR Cobra manifolds, with the same high flow cats, X-pipe and mufflers. Though there is a mild gain in upper RPMs detectable, IMHO, all I really accomplished was more noise. If I do go WOT on the street, it's prolly not much deeper than the exciting 1>2 shift, and I am disliking the volume.

I rescued my DR Cobra exhaust kit by instaling it on my #3 Marauder, leaving the resonator tips in place. Much better sound over OEM, and seat-of-the-pants power improvement is very nice, but a change in my low end torque is likewise noticable. This system is not as loud as it was on my #1x car, and I think it's the resonator delete tips doing their thing. Maybe try them first?

Marauder_Santa
06-25-2006, 03:40 PM
If you are looking for a bit more noise, try installing the Flowmaster 40's to the stock exaust. I had this set up for over a year with great sound and increases gas milage by 2mpg. This upgrade may cost $200 to $300 - depending on Muffler shop.

Hotrauder
06-25-2006, 04:15 PM
I was very happy with that set up while N/A. Good luck :beer: Dennis