PDA

View Full Version : Tire Sidewall split...

Architect
06-28-2006, 06:58 AM
I'm going to try and attach a couple of photos to show this failure...
Had nail in tire... took it in to very reputable tire dealer and they found a sidewall failure on the inside of the tire...
20,000 miles on tire...note tread photo...
Any one else had this problem...?
Thanks, Architect

94_302
06-28-2006, 07:01 AM
I can't click the attachment to get a larger version, can you post a larger picture?

chasrein01
06-28-2006, 09:20 AM
I had one do the same thing on the rear drivers side. It was on the inside - side of the car, but you could actually hear the air hisssssing out of the tire. I only had about 2400 miles on the car at the time! I replaced it and got about another 11,000 miles before needing to replace because of wear on both tires...... darn traction problems!!!!

duhtroll
06-28-2006, 11:09 AM
It doesn't help that the stock tires have weak sidewalls to begin with. It's what allows the center wear at highway speeds.

Go Mifuni
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm going to try and attach a couple of photos to show this failure...
Had nail in tire... took it in to very reputable tire dealer and they found a sidewall failure on the inside of the tire...
20,000 miles on tire...note tread photo...
Any one else had this problem...?
Thanks, Architect
Was it your front or rear? How's the other tire look?
Late last fall I lost the driver's side front tire in the hammer lane due to the inner sidewall blowing out. I checked the inside of the passenger side and it was close to doing the same thing.
You can be sure I'm keeping a close eye on them now.

sailsmen
06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
I had a tread separation on a spare that was 7 years old. It damaged my rear rocker panel.

The MFG made good on it. They also insp. the tire and told me they were defective.

Architect
06-29-2006, 10:11 AM
I can't click the attachment to get a larger version, can you post a larger picture?
Lets see if I can attach a larger picture...
architect
Well...sorry I guess I don't know how...?
I'll work on it....
Ok I think this one will enlarge to shaow the split....architect

ctrlraven
06-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Man that sucks, the other month ago I had one of my rear tires go flat, come to find out it had 3 roofing nails in it. It did ok for a while I guess cause I would add 5 or lbs of air to it each week but I guess when I picked up the 3rd nail it hissed at my like a jaded king cobra and also come to find out my other rear tire had 2 nails in it and held air pefrect fine. I had to replace both with 235/50 but hopefully in the next month or so I'll get some 255/55 kdw2 to correct the traction control system.

94_302
06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
The pic is still tiny could you send it to my e-mail 94j302@gmail.com Is this a defect in the tire that BFG would replace?

FlyinMerc
06-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Yes,
Had the same problem. Front passenger tire split at seam where tread blocks meet the sidewall, just slightly higher up the sidewall than the split in your tire. BFG prorated me a new tire based on treadwear. They also covered shipping cost but not installation cost. BFG asked if I used tire shine and I said "Yes". BFG claims that tire shine dries out the rubber and causes cracking. Anyway, it was a good excuse to get new front tires and an alignment. Previous front tires had edge wear from high toe angle. Of course, high toe angles do not place any stress on tire casings and/or sidewalls to create cracks, right?
-Kam

94_302
06-29-2006, 11:54 AM
My rear passenger side tire has it as well. I'm going to go to Costco and see what they say. The tire only has 7-8k miles on it so it looks new.

Architect
06-30-2006, 07:47 AM
The pic is still tiny could you send it to my e-mail 94j302@gmail.com Is this a defect in the tire that BFG would replace?
Big Fat email coming to you with two pics....
Architect

69marquis conv
07-02-2006, 06:06 AM
Interesting to see this on someone else's tire. I noticed the same type of split on my LF tire about couple of weeks ago. The split in mine covers nearly 1/3 of the circumference of the tire!
It seems that this could be a serious safety issue if it went unchecked, but I'm glad I found mine. Now to get it aligned and put on those Tirerack specials I've been sitting on for 9 months.

Architect
07-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Yes,
Had the same problem. Front passenger tire split at seam where tread blocks meet the sidewall, just slightly higher up the sidewall than the split in your tire. BFG prorated me a new tire based on treadwear. They also covered shipping cost but not installation cost. BFG asked if I used tire shine and I said "Yes". BFG claims that tire shine dries out the rubber and causes cracking. Anyway, it was a good excuse to get new front tires and an alignment. Previous front tires had edge wear from high toe angle. Of course, high toe angles do not place any stress on tire casings and/or sidewalls to create cracks, right?
-Kam
Just wanted to add that my tire split was on the inside of the tire...no tire shine etc. used on the inside of the tire...
Architect

grampaws
09-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Replaced two front OEM tires for vibration and split in
passenger inner sidewall..

Glenn
09-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I have the exact same split in the inside of the Driver's side front tire. I have never seen this type of sidewall split before. Seems like this is common to our BFG tires.

Glenn

Mad4Macs
09-02-2006, 03:21 AM
I had the right, front blow out on me. After I got a good look at the inner edges of both front tires, I took her in for an aligment using specs posted here.