PDA

View Full Version : Falken Ziex S/TZ-04, 255/55/18 tires

prchrman
06-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Had been looking for a different tire that had high treadwear and year round driveability and a good price. Found these Falkens at discount tire direct for $113 per w/shipping included, $226 total for 2 tires. Got them about 7 days and had them mounted a week ago. Get in MM and head out for Asheville and first sweeping curve the car nearly jumps into the oncoming lane. I thought, holy cow was that me turning the wheel abruptly or what. Kept noticing the thing just did not feel right and thought the guys at the local Ford place had left loose lugs. Pulled over and got wrench and checked, no issue. Looked at tires and they looked "puffy". Got out the old digital air gage and found both tires had 53 lbs. in them, 53 lbs. in tires not to be inflated above 40 lbs. Dropped the pressure to 34 lbs. and continued on my way with no further issues. Called manager monday and he said they must have a gage bad, and apologized for nearly getting me killed. Any who, the tires look real aggressive because of the raised lettering and 'graphics' on the side wall, a little busy for me but my son (24) loved them. They are quiet and ride better than the KDWs but have noticably more side wall flex. Not the handling tire the BFGs are but do ok to me. Will be watching tread wear and will be purchasing 2 more for front if they perform and wear well.
Willie, your friendly neighborhood prchrman

duhtroll
06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Pics?

What's the treadlife warranty (if any)?

Thanks

Had been looking for a different tire that had high treadwear and year round driveability and a good price. Found these Falkens at discount tire direct for $113 per w/shipping included, $226 total for 2 tires. Got them about 7 days and had them mounted a week ago. Get in MM and head out for Asheville and first sweeping curve the car nearly jumps into the oncoming lane. I thought, holy cow was that me turning the wheel abruptly or what. Kept noticing the thing just did not feel right and thought the guys at the local Ford place had left loose lugs. Pulled over and got wrench and checked, no issue. Looked at tires and they looked "puffy". Got out the old digital air gage and found both tires had 53 lbs. in them, 53 lbs. in tires not to be inflated above 40 lbs. Dropped the pressure to 34 lbs. and continued on my way with no further issues. Called manager monday and he said they must have a gage bad, and apologized for nearly getting me killed. Any who, the tires look real aggressive because of the raised lettering and 'graphics' on the side wall, a little busy for me but my son (24) loved them. They are quiet and ride better than the KDWs but have noticably more side wall flex. Not the handling tire the BFGs are but do ok to me. Will be watching tread wear and will be purchasing 2 more for front if they perform and wear well.
Willie, your friendly neighborhood prchrman

magindat
06-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Had those on some custom rims on an accord. They took 50K on a lowered ricer.

wchain
06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Falkens are good tires. I use the ZE-512s on a lot of passenger cars (Consumer REports rated #1 touring tire)

Thats what I'm replacing the rears with next time.(the ST/Z 04s)
http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/Falken/falken-stz04-lg.jpg

prchrman
06-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Pics?

What's the treadlife warranty (if any)?

Thanks

50,000 miles/460 treadwear

rocknrod
06-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Yep I had my Corvette tires replaced and the Tire Pressure warning was going goofy. Stopped and found they had 90 pounds in em. Hello!

SergntMac
06-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Good for you, Willie! Happy Motoring!

MENINBLK
06-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Do they make correct sizes for front and rear ???

The S/TZ-04 is a SUV Street tire !

I think I may have found a suitable match for the Marauder !!!

Falken S/TZ-01
50,000 mile tread warranty
11/32" tread depth compared to 9.5/32"

235/50R18 compared to BFG 235/50-18
Overall Diameter 27.3 to 27.2
761 RPM to 759 RPM
Section Width 9.8 to 9.6
Tread width 8.2 to ??
Load rating 101W to 97W

255/55R18 compared to BFG 245/55-18
Overall Diameter 28.9 compared to BFG 28.5
718 RPM compared to BFG 724 RPM
Section Width 10.4 compared to 9.9
Load Rating 109W to 103W
Tread width 10.4 to ??

These tires seem to be very close.
Gotta find some prices and reviews...

prchrman
06-29-2006, 03:39 AM
Do they make correct sizes for front and rear ???

The S/TZ-04 is a SUV Street tire !

No they do not have a front to match up in the ST 04s...I will be ordering 255/55/18 for the fronts...IF the tire performs well...and YES it is a SUV tire but read several reviews from corvette and mustang owners who liked them or similiar tires of other brands that were for SUVs...our cars are as heavy or heavier than a lot of SUVs so I thought it might work out...time will tell....willie