PDA

View Full Version : May be relocating to Portland, need advice

HwyCruiser
07-01-2006, 08:06 AM
I have an opportunity at work to permanently relocate from Kansas City to the Portland area. I've lived in KC for 13 years because that's where the job is at but I've always wanted to live in the Great Northwest. I'm going out to Portland in mid-August for a corporate training class and to interview with local management for the position. I'd also like to scope out the neighborhoods while I'm there.

Anybody here from the Portland area that can offer advice on housing, automobile inspection / emission laws, general state of the economy, schools, etc? Since Portland is a boarder city with Vancouver, are there any good or bad reasons to live in Vancouver WA and work in Portland OR?

TooManyFords
07-01-2006, 08:29 AM
If this plan comes together for you, let me be the first to congratulate you. I don't know anyone more deserving of moving up (besides myself) and wish you and your family all the best!

It will give me just one more reason to make a trek to the Great Northwest that much sooner. I've always known that I will retire either in the Northwest (Washington) or Northeast (Maine) in some quiet community so I can become the "official pot stirrer" (sorry Killjoy!)

Good luck!

John

whoskal
07-01-2006, 02:12 PM
All that I know is that Portland has more strip clubs per capita than any other place in the world (I'm serious). It depends on what you want.... do you want city life? then move to Portland...If you want something a little more country(quiet) then I would move just outside of Portland...Portland my favorite city to hang out in...look forward to another MM owner moving to the pac west..

jabird56
07-01-2006, 05:56 PM
JD,

If you get the job out there, it will be sorry to see you go from the heartland; however, I like the Oregon/Washington state area also. It definitely beats tornado alley. Good luck. Jay

teamrope
07-01-2006, 06:45 PM
I have an opportunity at work to permanently relocate from Kansas City to the Portland area. I've lived in KC for 13 years because that's where the job is at but I've always wanted to live in the Great Northwest. I'm going out to Portland in mid-August for a corporate training class and to interview with local management for the position. I'd also like to scope out the neighborhoods while I'm there.

Anybody here from the Portland area that can offer advice on housing, automobile inspection / emission laws, general state of the economy, schools, etc? Since Portland is a boarder city with Vancouver, are there any good or bad reasons to live in Vancouver WA and work in Portland OR?

Portland is only 2 hours from ME. :) My old boss has a house down in that area. I'll ask him. I do know a lot of people work in Portland and live in Vancouver.

HwyCruiser
07-01-2006, 06:58 PM
I was reading a bunch of stuff on Oregon's Dept of Evironmental Quality website about ODBII emissions testing and alterations to emission systems.

Oregon law prohibits disconnecting, altering or modifying required pollution control equipment. DEQ will check for specific pollution control equipment. If this equipment has been removed or modified, it won't pass the vehicle inspection test. The equipment must be reinstalled or repaired. It is also illegal to undo modifications made to your vehicle that were performed specifically to make your vehicle meet current emission standards.
What does this mean for my supercharger system? I have DR's Cobra exhaust with aftermarket high flowing converters. The tune has the rear 02 sensors turned off, so I don't know how the ODBII test reports this. Will my mods fail the inspection? I don't want to have to give up the goods to move to another state because it would probably mean bye-bye Marauder.

BJ, what are WA emission laws?

glassman99
07-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Live in Vancover, but drive to Portland. Unfortunately, there is only one bridge across the4 Columbia so that will be a bottleneck.

Redster
07-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Great Luck! Find me a job there. :-)

whoskal
07-01-2006, 08:13 PM
What does this mean for my supercharger system? I have DR's Cobra exhaust with aftermarket high flowing converters. The tune has the rear 02 sensors turned off, so I don't know how the ODBII test reports this. Will my mods fail the inspection? I don't want to have to give up the goods to move to another state because it would probably mean bye-bye Marauder.

It depends on what county you live in....Im not sure how it varies from county to county but......the county I live in (Thurston) has no emissions!!!!! :D

I know a lot of people who live in surrounding counties, and have thier cars registered to an address in Thurston;)
<!-- / message -->

Mrsteamrope
07-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I was reading a bunch of stuff on Oregon's Dept of Evironmental Quality website about ODBII emissions testing and alterations to emission systems.

It varies by county. Emissions wise you may be better off in WA. We also live in Thurston county. You can always list our address with the DOL/DMV. A lot of WA resedence used to register their cars in OR before we passed the $30 car tabs.