PDA

View Full Version : SimiChrome - where to get

Eric91Z
07-01-2006, 08:15 PM
OK, I am finally getting around to wanting to pick up some SimiChrome to use to polish up the tips per some recommendations from others on the site. I have used the stuff before when I was in the military for buckle and other shinny stuff. But now I can't seem to find any around. Checked K-Mart, Target, and Wal-Mart. Couldn't find at any of those three unless I am looking in the wrong area. I was looking around the other polishing and cleaning products. Found Brass, polish, go-gone, etc, but no SimiChrome. I thought I remember hearing something awhile back that they were actually getting rid of the stuff altogether. Any ideas where I could pick some up at or what kind of stores to check? Not many Army Surplus stores around these parts any more to check. Any ideas would be appreciated since the car is parked for the rest of the weekend for some detailing work.

Got her washed tonight. Plan to dust her off, do a little Zaino Z6, then a couple coats of Z2, then hit the interior with some Zaino Leather conditioner, some Meguiars leather conditioner/cleaner wipes on the seats, vacuum, windows, tires, and clean up the tips. Also need to get a couple coats of that Z2 on the wheels, too.

So, any input on the SimiChrome would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SergntMac
07-02-2006, 06:30 AM
The last time I bought a tube, it was from a motorcycle shop. It's great for small parts, but I'm going to suggest that there are better products out today. Head over to an auto parts store detail section, and look for a jar of "Blue Magic". It's everything Simichrome, and cheaper. Also, find a 6 to 8" cotton buffing wheel and attach that to a simple 3/8 electric drill. Cuts your prep time in half, and leaves a great shine.

Have a good weekend.

Bootlegger
07-02-2006, 06:34 AM
You might try Flitz, its the same stuff. I've used both, works just as good..

Eric91Z
07-02-2006, 07:27 AM
And we are talking about use on the stock exhaust tips, right? I want something to get the small pits out of there and clean the top side of the tips off from what accumulates up there, but don't want them to get scratched up. Want them to shine real nice with the rest of the car.

SergntMac
07-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Hit them with the polish of your choice, buff until all the black muck goes away, rinse with vinegar. You'll love the look.

TheDealer
07-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Eastwood Company carries it!!!

Second Wind
07-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Try your local gun shop..

ckadiddle
07-03-2006, 01:34 PM
I keep mine shiny by running over them with Windex wipes after running through the car wash. Never have had to do a deep cleaning.

jgc61sr2002
07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
What the sarge said. I also bought it at a motorcycle shop. Works great.:D

FiveO
07-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Try your local gun shop..

Thats exactly where I get mine. I polish my badges with it.

Great, great stuff Simichrome.

jimlam56
07-04-2006, 03:54 AM
Nevr-Dull works very nicely on the tips, and a whole lot less work than simichrome in this application. IMHO.

Eric91Z
10-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Has anyone ever tried this or would it be too abrasive for the exhaust tips:

http://www.autogeek.net/wen2030t.html

I know what a lot of you have said, but before I do just a polish and rinse with vinegar, I have some Iowa road "stuff" to get off from a year of daily driver duties for this car.

There are some "hard spots" on the tips that could be "baked" on dirt or mud. Luckily no rusting really, but some exhaust soot on the underside near the end. Just want to get them looking as close to new again. They look good now, but I know whats on there and what I want to get off.

I just don't want to end up putting scrathes in there that won't come out. Thinking of the Wenol or Simichrome for some of the underhood hard line polishing too (AC lines, etc, not the chrome fuel rails). I have used that before with good results, but can't find my old tube of Simichrome and still no luck finding locally.

magindat
10-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Nevr-Dull works very nicely on the tips, and a whole lot less work than simichrome in this application. IMHO.

+100 on the Nevr-dull.....

Larry Staunton
10-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I've used Blue Magic and found it to be every bit as good, if not better, than Simichrome.

ckadiddle
10-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I googled this for ya:
http://www.competitionchemicals.com/

There also appears to be plenty of it available through ebay vendors. I also located it on amazon.

SamF
10-06-2006, 02:00 PM
+100 on the Nevr-dull.....

That is what I use also, Simichrome is great for the smaller stuff on the bikes but Nevr-dull rocks on those tips (more agressive cleaning ability IMO)

Eric91Z
10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
That is what I use also, Simichrome is great for the smaller stuff on the bikes but Nevr-dull rocks on those tips (more agressive cleaning ability IMO)

Is the Nevr-Dull available at your locals FLAPS?

SamF
10-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Is the Nevr-Dull available at your locals FLAPS?

Favorite Local Auto Parts Store? Good guess? If so then yes I have seen it at Pep Boys and many Hardware stores also.

ctrlraven
10-06-2006, 08:25 PM
I just wipe down my tips, wheels and badges every few days and then hit them with some Mothers Chrome polish and Mag & Alumnum polish and they look good as ever.

Drock96Marquis
10-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Luckily no rusting really, but some exhaust soot on the underside near the end. Just want to get them looking as close to new again. They look good now, but I know whats on there and what I want to get off.
Your tips are t304 stainless steel, they shouldn't rust for mannnnny years.

BTW, why no z-5 before that z-2?

I just wipe down my tips, wheels and badges every few days and then hit them with some Mothers Chrome polish and Mag & Alumnum polish and they look good as ever.

DON'T use aluminum polish on your wheels. They are clearcoated, by using a metal polish you are slowly eating away at your wheels protective clear coat. Eventually it will all be gone and regular polishing with aluminum polish will be manditory or they will oxidize (think of an aluminum tool box on a truck)

Treat your wheel like you would your paint, mild cleaners, wax/polish to protect and keep cleaner.

Eric91Z
10-07-2006, 05:15 AM
Your tips are t304 stainless steel, they shouldn't rust for mannnnny years.

BTW, why no z-5 before that z-2?

Treat your wheel like you would your paint, mild cleaners, wax/polish to protect and keep cleaner.

No Z-5 before Z-2 because everything I have read is that the Z-5 qualities are not as apparent on a light color car as a dark color car. I have used the Z-2/Z-5 combo on the wife's car and need to again soon, but haven't on my silver car and am still happy with the results.

I might try some Z-5 on it at some point, but not in a big hurry.

I always treat the wheels like the paint on the car. They get a coat of polish any time the paint does. And I will do a complete inside and out wash on them with about 3 coats of polish when I pull them off to store for the winter.