PDA

View Full Version : Headers

Bob Mathis
07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Ok I need some input on what headers to put on. I want the complete system. I do all so know the price is high no matter what.:help: :banana2:

fastblackmerc
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm going with the Mustang shorty headers (JetHot coated), Mustang X pipe w/ cats (modified), Magnaflows mufflers and either a local shop will do it or I'll be taking it to the muffler-man down Atlanta way.

mpearce
07-07-2006, 04:12 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28335&highlight=stainless+works

www.stainlessworks.net (http://www.stainlessworks.net)

They also have a complete 3" system for the MM.

-Mat

KillJoy
07-07-2006, 05:28 AM
I think Dennis Reinhart was offering his Cobra Kit on a special for $1000. Might want to drop him a line: 904-276-5003

I know Stainless Works offers Headers, but I do not know if they include the Crossover Pipe and Cats.

Kooks offers Headers + Crossover Pipe w/ Cats, offered here by Vendors, but yes....it is not cheap.

Best of luck on whichever you decide on.

KillJoy

Big D's Merc
07-07-2006, 05:37 AM
I can find headers but where do you find a company that makes a catback system or is there anyone?

FordNut
07-07-2006, 05:41 AM
I can find headers but where do you find a company that makes a catback system or is there anyone?
The only thing out there that doesn't require replacement of manifolds/headers along with the cats/H-pipe/X-pipe is the Borla system (if it is still available). It attaches to the flanges after the cats and goes all the way back. It was actually a CV system but the flanges are in the same place so it fits. It is pretty and sounds good, but it's expensive.

fastblackmerc
07-07-2006, 05:44 AM
To my knowledge there is no company that makes a cat-back system for the MM. Your options are DR's exhaust kit, Kook's, StainlessSteel Works or what I'm doing, see my post in this thread.

Big D's Merc
07-07-2006, 05:46 AM
The only thing out there that doesn't require replacement of manifolds/headers along with the cats/H-pipe/X-pipe is the Borla system (if it is still available). It attaches to the flanges after the cats and goes all the way back. It was actually a CV system but the flanges are in the same place so it fits. It is pretty and sounds good, but it's expensive.

I have looked for Borla and have come up empty handed. I just don't want flowmasters. I have one chambers that I was going to put on but don't know how it will sound.

Smokie
07-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Ok I need some input on what headers to put on. I want the complete system. I do all so know the price is high no matter what.:help: :banana2:

Bob, if the maximum amount of power is what you are seeking and a very agressive sound will NOT bother you; Kooks is the way to go.

The Cobra manifolds kit that DR offers is a little less power but the sound is not as agressive; it's a good compromise of power and manners.

What I have are the SVO Shorty headers kit that DR originally sold, power is about the same as the Cobra manifolds and they are not as agressive sounding as the Kooks.

My preference of shorty headers over Cobra manifolds is simply aesthetic; I don't believe there is a power difference. Good luck, Javier.

FordNut
07-07-2006, 05:56 AM
I have looked for Borla and have come up empty handed. I just don't want flowmasters. I have one chambers that I was going to put on but don't know how it will sound.
Check with Todd (TAF) at Grand Mufflers and he can hook you up with Magnaflows. They sound good, are Stainless Steel, and Todd's shop will do a fine installation for you. He can setup a 2-1/2" stainless system with x-pipe or h-pipe which connects to the flanges behind the factory cats.

Big D's Merc
07-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Check with Todd (TAF) at Grand Mufflers and he can hook you up with Magnaflows. They sound good, are Stainless Steel, and Todd's shop will do a fine installation for you. He can setup a 2-1/2" stainless system with x-pipe or h-pipe which connects to the flanges behind the factory cats.

Thanks for the info.

Bigdough
07-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Since our engine is the same engine as in the Mach 1, can we not use the same headers? Is there some other issue that would hold us back from doing this (i.e - clearance??)

FordNut
07-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Since our engine is the same engine as in the Mach 1, can we not use the same headers? Is there some other issue that would hold us back from doing this (i.e - clearance??)
Shorties will probably work, but the pipes to connect them up to the exhaust system have to be made differently because of the tranny cross-member location. Long tubes/mid-length headers from Mustangs won't work due to steering and frame interference. We have a frame, 'stangs don't.

mpearce
07-10-2006, 04:46 AM
I know Stainless Works offers Headers, but I do not know if they include the Crossover Pipe and Cats.

Yep, Stainless Works has everything you need for a full system. After the headers, their system is 3", and you can also get off road piping if you wish depending on your preference.

-Mat