PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Brakes Upgrade

FordNut
07-10-2006, 11:16 AM
I finally got around to installing these upgrades. History lesson first...

I got the KVR 14" brake upgrade. After awhile the rotors warped and I had them turned, smoothed out the shakes ok. Didn't take too long and they warped again. This time when I had them turned I was told that they were below spec and couldn't be turned again. It smoothed out the shakes but I knew it wouldn't be long and they would be shaking again, so I started searching for solutions.

KVR replacements were the logical choice, but they didn't last very long the first time so I would really like to explore all my options. Besides, I could never get a quote on the KVR replacements anyway.

Baer rotors sounded like another possibility but many members have reported similar problems with the Baer rotors too. I checked prices and they're expensive. Plus the hats are different, Baer uses 12 bolts and KVR uses 10 bolts, which means I would need the hats too.

Another possible option I had seen at a Mustang show was an Australian company called DBA. I researched and found a rotor which would fit, but it required the 12 bolt hat. So I ordered the rotors from them (long, long lead time, claimed 5 weeks at time of order but turned out to be more like 8-10 weeks) and ordered hats from Baer. Had to round up some bolts and nuts from the hardware store, should have ordered them from Baer but we live and learn.

I also wasn't really happy with the pads and have always liked metallic pads, so I ordered Metal Master pads.

By the time everything was ready, I had the shakes again.

Swapped brakes this weekend and I'm quite happy. These rotors are much more beefy and the pads stop very well. A little different from the old pads, as they were more of a street pad and these are more of a race pad. Street pads grab hard immediately while race pads need some heat to really work good.

FordNut
07-10-2006, 11:29 AM
New Rotor:

The slot design and drilling pattern is unique to DBA.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01285.JPG

See how thick the side sections are, and the cooling fins. Also note the heat sensitive paint. It can tell you how hot your brakes are running, useful if you're into road racing.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01286.JPG

Here's a Baer hat sitting on a rotor.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01287.JPG

And a comparison of old vs new pads.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01301.JPG

With part number shown on box.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01302.JPG

Compare the rotors...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01303.JPG

From the back you can really see how much more metal is in the new ones.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01304.JPG

And look how much thicker...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01305.JPG

Disassembly... Always use jack stands!
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01306.JPG

Parts for re-assembly. I had to add a washer to the bracket mounting bolts because the bolts protruded a little and rubbed the rotor.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01308.JPG

FordNut
07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Rotor boxes showing part numbers...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01309.JPG

RF Overlord
07-10-2006, 12:10 PM
'Nut, I'm very glad to see your review.

Back when I was first looking at upgrading The Blackbird's brakes, I contacted DBA and they said they didn't know anything about the Marauder, but to check back with them later. When the time came to actually do it, I settled on the Wilwoods from TCE, mostly because one of the techs who installed my Trilogy (Marauder8) had them on his MM and was happy with them and already familiar with their installation. I would still consider the DBA setup if I ever have any negative issues with the Wilwoods (none so far, just keeping options open). The Australians are even bigger gearheads than we are and build some impressive aftermarket stuff...

SergntMac
07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Excellent contribution, thank you. Always good to see variety in the marketplace.

Zack
07-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Nice find!

FordNut
07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
'Nut, I'm very glad to see your review.

Back when I was first looking at upgrading The Blackbird's brakes, I contacted DBA and they said they didn't know anything about the Marauder, but to check back with them later. When the time came to actually do it, I settled on the Wilwoods from TCE, mostly because one of the techs who installed my Trilogy (Marauder8) had them on his MM and was happy with them and already familiar with their installation. I would still consider the DBA setup if I ever have any negative issues with the Wilwoods (none so far, just keeping options open). The Australians are even bigger gearheads than we are and build some impressive aftermarket stuff...
It's unfortunate that they don't offer a complete kit. But their rotors are nice if anybody has a Baer of KVR 14" system and needs new rotors.

snowbird
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Congrats on this. They look like they will need real abuse to warp !

MarauderMark
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Good find:up:

Marauderman
07-10-2006, 03:41 PM
It's unfortunate that they don't offer a complete kit. But their rotors are nice if anybody has a Baer of KVR 14" system and needs new rotors.
As you know Brian--I have the Baer's 14" and I have not had any problems--all is well....but I will keep your info handy for future parts reference---good find my friend...

stryker
07-11-2006, 09:40 AM
:cool: Hmmmm, Very interesting info I will remember that in case in future replace the stock ones in my new Interceptor. !He he he heee!

STRYKER.

pantheroc
07-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Is there a match for the rear?

DEFYANT
07-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Nice! Do they require the bedding and seating like the Baer kit?

FordNut
07-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Is there a match for the rear?
I haven't tried to find a match, my rears are the KVR set and haven't been a problem. Now the drilling doesn't match from front to rear, but it'll be ok for now. I guess I could get a set of prints made from measurements on the OEM rears and send them to try for a matchup, just hasn't been a high priority for me..

FordNut
07-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Nice! Do they require the bedding and seating like the Baer kit?
I just drove easy for the first 50 miles or so.

FordNut
07-18-2006, 08:12 AM
OK, It has been about 1,000 miles, so here is a quick update.

Performance is pretty much the same as it was in the beginning. No shakes, good stopping power. One thing I have noticed after being in several storms is that these rotors don't seem to rust like the old ones did. The old ones would develop surface rust even from rain splashing up on them. Even after driving in heavy downpours these rotors don't seem to get rusty. I don't know why, maybe the steel alloy has a little nickel which gives them anti-rust properties like stainless steel?

FordNut
10-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Just got a PM asking about these rotors so I'm bringing this thread to the top. I've put several thousand miles on these rotors now. They have been turned once due to the shake & shimmy. Re-used the same pads as they were still ok. Next time I'll have them cryo-treated before I put them on, but the DBA rotors will for sure be what I use. They're at least as good (I feel that they're much better) than the Baer and KVR rotors, but they cost less!

FordNut
10-22-2007, 09:41 PM
I reckon this would help: contact Mark Joseph mark@dba.com.au for pricing and delivery info. The part numbers are in one of the photos in this thread.

ctrlraven
10-22-2007, 10:10 PM
You go through rotors like I go through a tank of gas lol.

Why are you having to keep turn your rotors so often? I have about 10-11k miles on my EBC dimpled/slotted rotors since spring time this year and they have been just fine even with high speed slow downs and panic stops thanks to Zack's tip on the Napa pads to replace the EBC green stuff pads that were too hard/rough for the rotors.

I know whichever kit or upgrade I do if their not cryo-treated before hand they will be before they go on the car. I've read too many good things about cryo-treated rotors to not do it.

FordNut
10-22-2007, 10:13 PM
110k on my car so far. I don't slow down 'til I'm ready to stop.

John F. Russo
10-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Excellent contribution, thank you. Always good to see variety in the marketplace.

You're back! But I know you never left. Good to hear from you again.

RR|Suki
10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
110k on my car so far. I don't slow down 'til I'm ready to stop.

I hear that one :banana2::burnout::eek:

You're back! But I know you never left. Good to hear from you again.

That reply was from back in 2006 man

MarauderSM
10-27-2007, 01:58 AM
Cryo treated rotors. Only thing I would use on my car.
Just buy it.

MarauderSM
10-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Is there a match for the rear yet?

Yamaha
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Did the full all around upgrade recently: 14" KVR upfront non-metallic pads with the modified Corvette calipers and SS lines. Rear EBC rotors and green pads, SS lines. Bled the heck out of the system. Not happy. With 255 GSD3''s upfront QA1 double adjustables and 550# springs the baby should stand on the bumper. Went to EBC yellow pads, rebled, noticebly better but not up to my lowly Contour with red EBC pads. Feel is not there and overall power and bite are lacking. What am I missing ? Master cylinder upgrade ? This has been the least bang for the buck upgrade. Love the KOOKS, 410's, Lidio chip, sway bar, 9.5 rims, control arms.
home e-mail motoguzzi@live.com
Thanks for any feedback.

FordNut
01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Mine work great. I'm using metal master pads.

Todd TCE
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
I remember seeing those parts years ago. A nice casting. The TCE parts and the KVR rotors are both Coleman Racing Products parts and do remain lighter in nature. Not that it's a totally bad thing one way or the other.

The beefier rotor will be a bit better for their thermal capacity but one will in no way 'brake better' than the other. Only provide a bit more heat capacity. The down side to the beefier part is that it remains questionable as to how much value the is lost from the narrower air gap thus providing a lower air flow.

Finding the magic balance here is key. In any case for the normal enthusiast use there won't be any gains one way or the other. But the lower cost (if so) may be appealing certainly.

FordNut
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Here's the part numbers:

DBA-52102.1XSR, DBA-52102.1XSL rotors
Baer 6140040 hats
PBR-XBG Semi-Met 7599-D731M pads

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/1/8/DSC01305.JPG

The new rotors are center split castings whereas the old ones look to be side split. Center split castings are supposed to give you more even heat transfer from both braking surfaces. Side split castings are usually what you see on budget brake parts. It gives you a much thicker base to the cooling fin only on one side

Cool

FordNut
01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Zack has found a distributor who can supply the rotors. They're on the way to him now, so once he gets them and checks them out I'll post up the contact info for the supplier.

RR|Suki
01-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Zack has found a distributor who can supply the rotors. They're on the way to him now, so once he gets them and checks them out I'll post up the contact info for the supplier.

supplier for the DBA rotors, or other replacements for the bear hat pattern? Either way sounds good to me.

FordNut
01-28-2010, 08:21 AM
DBA rotors.

RF Overlord
01-31-2010, 08:58 AM
This is good news, Brian. Please keep us informed.

ImpalaSlayer
01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
This is good news, Brian. Please keep us informed.

what he said

FordNut
01-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Zack says he got 'em, I haven't heard if he got them installed yet. Quick turnaround. From www.knsbrakes.com