PDA

View Full Version : Blinking o/d light and battery light

SID210SA
07-13-2006, 08:05 AM
:help: Please.....Ok here is the situation: I get off of work at 3 P.M. and usually remote start the car to cool it down (we hit 100 yesterday), So it sits in idle for about 10 minutes and then it timed out and turned off, then I started it as I was walking to the car and forgot to put the key in and stepped on the break so it turned off, this time I started it with the key. No problems yet.
I go to pick up some boxes here from work and the car sits idling for about another 10 minutes. So I load up 7 empty boxes an head for home which is a three mile trip. I have a total of 3 turns, one to leave work to the main street, one to turn onto my street and the last to turn in to home. I stop at 2 traffic lights on the way only about 30 seconds each.
I use the o/d button once as I go down a hill to slow and rev as I go down the hill from about 55 mph, then I click it again to go to normal opperation. Maybe about 10-15 seconds use of the button. Well another mile and a half down the road the problem starts...I feel a little rough shift as I am slowing down from about 35 to about 10-15 mph and I look down and see the o/d light blinking and the battery light came on. I look and all my other gauges and all seem to be in the norm. Oil pressure ok, Volts about 12, water temp in the middle. The only other problem was that the car seemed as if was about to stall out but as soon as I stepped on the gas to go thru traffic it went.

As I turned in to my apt complex it seemed a little juttery...then the lights went off and then nothing else happened....I backed in to my parking spot as I normally do....nothing unsual happing....shifted fine. I then let the car Idle as I made a quick call the the dealership and left a message for my service writer. I checked battery connections, oil level, trans level, the tensioner pully was moving side to side abit but no noises or anything else unusual was noted.

I then turned off the car and did not drive it till this morning. The service writer called back that evening and asked me about it I told him the story above and said if I had anymore problems with it to bring it in after work. When I drove it this morning I had no problems with it. I made my usual stop at the local stop and rob and restared it and made my way to work and no problems.

I tried to be as thorough as I could with all the info I had so I hope some one could tell me something...I do have about 5100 miles left in my 3yr/36k warranty. I have had the car since new, and I currently have no mods on it.....did have JLT on it before 30k check up. No other mods have been on this car performance wise.

Thanks, Mike

SergntMac
07-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Sound to me like you were running a tad warm.

Our engines have to reach about 240 degrees before the dash needle moves, and then, it moves fast. The tranny will misbeave from high temps before 240, you may have gotten an early warning sign. BTW, flashing OD light is an indicator in code.

SID210SA
07-13-2006, 09:29 AM
so will the code stay so that I can take it to the dealership and they can read it.

SergntMac
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Maybe. Codes don't stick until the problem is chronic.

STLR FN
07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Maybe. Codes don't stick until the problem is chronic.True true, there are, as told to me, hard codes and soft codes. I had the same thing happen in my F-150. OD light blinked for a little bit but went out. At the time of the blinking the trans shifted funny and would not engage OD. Let it rest and problem went away and OD didn't come on but i wanted it checked anyhow. Though the light wasn't on, the code was stored in the PCM. Found out it was the VSS gear on the pumpkin. Changed it and everything was back to normal.

SID210SA
07-13-2006, 10:00 AM
well I guess what happens

grampaws
07-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Voltage dropped to low and set a code in the trans/controller.
There are low voltage codes.
probably from so much idling..probably just a querk..just keep an eye
on the alt voltage--the alt may be showing signs of a problem!
Monitor it!

magindat
07-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I second the notion of low voltage. Check static battery voltage after a highway drive. It should hold no less than 12.6 without the engine running. 13.5 at about 1.5K RPM. Don't trust the stock autometer guage. Mine is wrong. Our alts don't put out the 13.5 at idle. Excessive idling could be the issue.
Hope that's all it is.....

RF Overlord
07-13-2006, 11:13 AM
...I can take it to the dealership and they can read it.Yes, the dealer will be happy to read it for you and give you a whopping bill for "diagnostic time" as well, even if they find zilch. Take it to any AutoZone...they will read the codes (if any) for free. Then report back here and we'll tell you what's indicated...

STLR FN
07-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Yes, the dealer will be happy to read it for you and give you a whopping bill for "diagnostic time" as well, even if they find zilch. Take it to any AutoZone...they will read the codes (if any) for free.From my understanding the code readers that Autozone has will not read trans codes. Try a trans shop. They can read them. That's where I had my trans code read. They usually have the big Startech(sp?) code readers that the dealers and the factories carry.

grampaws
07-13-2006, 11:27 AM
From my understanding the code readers that Autozone has will not read trans codes. Try a trans shop. They can read them. That's where I had my trans code read. They usually have the big Startech(sp?) code readers that the dealers and the factories carry.

This is true...

SID210SA
07-13-2006, 12:35 PM
well wish me luck and I will report back when I have more news....

RF Overlord
07-13-2006, 01:10 PM
From my understanding the code readers that Autozone has will not read trans codes. I think you're right...disregard my advice above...

sailsmen
07-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Sound to me like you were running a tad warm.

Our engines have to reach about 240 degrees before the dash needle moves, and then, it moves fast. The tranny will misbeave from high temps before 240, you may have gotten an early warning sign. BTW, flashing OD light is an indicator in code.

Dito w/ SergntMac.

SID210SA
07-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Update: Currently at the dealership using their computer. Well, they tested it and as it turns out it is either a short in the wire harness or a bad soloniod (sp?) So basically something electrical in the trans wiring. So the car has to stay in the dealership overnight at least. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Mike

sailsmen
07-13-2006, 03:52 PM
There is a casting boss near the firewall that can chafe the wiring harness.

Try a search wiring harness chafe.

glassman99
07-13-2006, 06:52 PM
My o/d light started blinking at the track a couple of weeks ago. Tranny failed shortly after that.

MENINBLK
07-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Update: Currently at the dealership using their computer. Well, they tested it and as it turns out it is either a short in the wire harness or a bad soloniod (sp?) So basically something electrical in the trans wiring. So the car has to stay in the dealership overnight at least. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Mike

Make sure all your keys work when you pick up the Marauder...
If one of them doesn't, have them all recoded to the car again ASAP.

SID210SA
07-14-2006, 05:27 AM

I am ahead of you on that one....I brought all my keys with me to work this morning.

SID210SA
07-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Good News!!!! The Silver Ghost Marauder is ready for the road once again.....It was some bad soloniods in the Transmission....I will get back to yall on the technical jargon when I pick her up.

jstevens
07-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Can you tell me how much the bad solenoids in the trans cost?

My light blinked tonight and shifted funny. I pulled in a parking lot, shut it off and restarted it. Seemed to act okay. Will know more tomorrow.

SID210SA
07-27-2006, 08:24 AM
I dont know but I will try to find out for you....mine was covered under warranty.

SID210SA
07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Sorry it took so long, but I am in the middle of moving out of my apt into a house and kept forgetting to get my invoice.

To answer question of price of solenoid: $47.53 Part # F8AZ-7G136-AA
connector: $27.13 Pt. # F8AZ-7G276-BA

And from the technician:
CUST. STATES O.D LIGHT KEEPS FLASHING
ROAD TESTED AND VERIFIED CONCERN. PERFORMED TRANS DIAG
EEC TEST CODES P0740-P0743. PINPOINT TEST. PRESSURE CONTROL
TEST. FOUND INTERMITTENT TCC SOLENOID HIGH RESISTANCE
REMOVED TRANS PAN AND REPLACED SHORTED SOLENOID AND
CONNECTOR. CLEANED PAN. GASKET AND ADDED NEW FLUID. ROAD
TESTED CLEARED CODES AND OK AFTER REPAIRS.:)

jstevens
07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks a million for that information. I appreciate it.

jerrykoziol
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I Had The Same Symptons With The Misshifting And O/d Light Blinking. It Happened Three Times On And Off Before I Actually Brought It In To The Dealer. The Are Currenly Putting In Remaned Trans.

Yr And Mileage---03', 32,500 Miles
Cost Without Warrenty 3,ooo$.

Extend Your Warrenty If Possible As Soon As You Can To Avoind Cost.

SID210SA
11-16-2006, 11:54 AM
I did not extend my warranty because I have mechanical breakdown insurance thur my "Little Green Lizard " friend.....They cover any thing mechanical or electrical that breaks...

murphypeople
03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
What are we talking about here regarding the car and car key's being in "sync?" I am at a loss regarding the intended meaning of this comment. Thanks

SID210SA
03-05-2007, 06:42 AM
The keys are coded to the car. Its call the PATS....or Passive anti theft system...each key, 2 regular keys and 1 valet, has a chip in them and need to be programmed to the system....so you just cant get a key cut and try to start the car cause it wont work. Hope this help a little cause thats all I think I know about it

Canadasvt
11-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Sorry it took so long, but I am in the middle of moving out of my apt into a house and kept forgetting to get my invoice.

To answer question of price of solenoid: $47.53 Part # F8AZ-7G136-AA
connector: $27.13 Pt. # F8AZ-7G276-BA

And from the technician:
CUST. STATES O.D LIGHT KEEPS FLASHING
ROAD TESTED AND VERIFIED CONCERN. PERFORMED TRANS DIAG
EEC TEST CODES P0740-P0743. PINPOINT TEST. PRESSURE CONTROL
TEST. FOUND INTERMITTENT TCC SOLENOID HIGH RESISTANCE
REMOVED TRANS PAN AND REPLACED SHORTED SOLENOID AND
CONNECTOR. CLEANED PAN. GASKET AND ADDED NEW FLUID. ROAD
TESTED CLEARED CODES AND OK AFTER REPAIRS.:)

Thanks for the info.

Just took mine to the dealership today. Blinking o/d light and engine light on. O/D not working (bad on freeway). They checked it out and said it could be one of two things and ordered parts. Said the pan would need to be dropped. Everything is covered under my basic powertrain warranty 5year/100K.

SID210SA
11-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Any time....Hope this info helps get you back on the road soon!!

Canadasvt
11-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Here what they did and it's been okay since:

SID210SA
11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds like mine....just different language....glad yours worked out for you...I have been trouble free since my fix...