PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for a set of wheels for a 97 MGM GS!!!!

smokycuda17
07-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey folks, I'm back with another request. I want a set of wheels for my 97 MGM GS but I dont have the cash to blow on them. I am lookin for a set of 17" or 18" wheels that will fit. I am thinkin that I will just throw on a set of LX wheels or some other set of wheels from Ford/Lincolin/Mercury that has 5 wide spokes on them.

Just to make sure everyone understands, I am tryin to figure out what wheels will fit my car from other Ford/Lincolin/Mercury vehicles and how much they are going to cost me. Currently, I am not in a position to purchase anytime soon (Gotta save money up over time) I just want to know what fits and how much they are going to cost me.

Thanks,

Chinny

2003DOHC
07-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Not sure about 18 inch wheels but for 17 inch the CV LX Sport 5 spoke wheels 2002 and older will fit.

Drock96Marquis
07-14-2006, 11:54 PM
-02 panther 16" (and 17") wheels are a direct fit, size 225/60/16 (or 235-55-17 with LXS wheels) are closest to the diameter of your original 15" wheels.

94-04 sn95/5x4.5" FACTORY mustang wheels can be used on -02 panthers, provided a wheel adapter/spacer measuring at ~5/16"+ is used to compensate for increased offset. Larger spacers will further bring wheels out to fenderwell lips, 5/16" is minimum for balljoint clearance. Hubcentric adapters recommended. Increased rim width will effect offset and minimum spacer size calculation.

s197 Mustang / 03+ panther / 2002-2005 Explorer wheels will fit -02 panthers with the use wheel adapters, measuring ~30mm/1"+. Hubcentric adapters recommended. 1.5" preffered

Other notes:

-The use of a wheel spacer or adapter puts more stress on the vehicle's lug nuts and wheel bearings
-Eibach, H&R make high-quality wheel adapters
-Aero panthers have a narrower track width (most noticably the rear) than 98+. If wheel adapters/spacers are to be purchased an aero owner may want to go slightly larger than 98+ for more fender fill-out
-Our cars use a 1/2"-20 lug nut when you go to purchase chrome lugs for your spiffy new wheels
-Many Ford factory wheels share the same size hub cover, thus Ford oval logo covers can be used in place of Cobra snakes, galloping 'stangs, Gods-heads and other designs not suiting for your vehicle.
-No 18" wheel was offered for any -02 panther

smokycuda17
07-17-2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks for tha info Drock about the wheels.

I have a question for you about your floor shifter install. When everything was said and done, what did you do about the column shifter??? Did you take it off and then put on a custom column cover to cover-up the hole???

Thanks,

Chinny

Drock96Marquis
07-17-2006, 03:17 PM
I removed the column gear selector handle, and replaced the cloumn cover with the one found on 01-04 LX Sports/SAP / Marauders / LSEs. The shift tube is still on the column, I saw no need in wasting time/effort removing it when the column cover hides it all anyway.

I painted it to match my interior using the same PPG interior paint I sprayed the console with.

-Derek

smokycuda17
07-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info Derek, Im hoping to gather parts to try your conversion sometime soon. I hope you will be around if I need some advice or help.

Regards,

Chinny

wchain
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Get some aftermarket LX Sports on ebay.

Drock96Marquis
07-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info Derek, Im hoping to gather parts to try your conversion sometime soon. I hope you will be around if I need some advice or help.

Regards,

Chinny

If you can't get a hold of me via a PM here, you can always email me dRock96marquis@crownvic.net