PDA

View Full Version : Trailer or Towing for possible car purchase?

Breadfan
07-16-2006, 06:32 PM
I may buy a car up in Anne Arundel, MD that needs some work. It probably needs a weekend or two or work to be driveable. I'm wondering if anyone has leads for towing companies or perhaps access to a car trailer.

My dad has an F250 that can easily tow it, but we don't have a trailer. Could I dolly it? I know U-Haul rents car dollys. It's a RWD car with an automatic.

I need to get this car to Prince William County, VA if I buy it, I'm looking for the most cost effective way, I could trailer it myself if I can find a trailer to rent/borrow or could pay for towing, I'm thinking may $300 for towing?

sailsmen
07-16-2006, 07:54 PM
UHaul will rent a full size trailer for around $90.

The trailer is about 2,000# + 4,150 for the Marauder, check the towing capacity on the F250.

Joe Walsh
07-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Mike, a friend of mine had a car dolly that I've borrowed from him before to haul my Mustang...I'll call him to see if he still has it.

Breadfan
07-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Ok, thanks guys! BTW It's for a Crown Vic, so yeah about the same weight as a Marauder.

I don't think the F250 will break a sweat, it's pretty built, has a nice hitch and a V10. That being said, I've never towed a car on a dolly.

SWOOSH
07-17-2006, 01:09 AM
How much would AAA be?

RoyLPita
07-17-2006, 03:50 AM
Keep us posted. BTW, What year Vic is it? I'm getting a 1989 LX w/H.O. conversion.

Breadfan
07-17-2006, 04:42 AM
It's an '01 Crown Vic, the owner says a spark plug blew out and thus it's not driveable. I'm gonna talk to him on the phone today. I think it's just got one stripped spark plug hole.

I was considering a new set of heads for it, but I hear it's a pain to do in these cars.

So, I think I'll try a timesert - www.timesert.com (http://www.timesert.com)

It's a base CV, it's not a CVPI from what I can tell and does not appear to be an LX either. Car has 117k.

BTW I did see a '91 CVPI listed with a 351, it was cheap but transmission only shifted to 1st and 2nd the guy said. If anyone is interested I can dig up the ad again.

RoyLPita
07-17-2006, 05:01 AM
It's an '01 Crown Vic, the owner says a spark plug blew out and thus it's not driveable. I'm gonna talk to him on the phone today. I think it's just got one stripped spark plug hole.

I was considering a new set of heads for it, but I hear it's a pain to do in these cars.

So, I think I'll try a timesert - www.timesert.com (http://www.timesert.com)

It's a base CV, it's not a CVPI from what I can tell and does not appear to be an LX either. Car has 117k.

BTW I did see a '91 CVPI listed with a 351, it was cheap but transmission only shifted to 1st and 2nd the guy said. If anyone is interested I can dig up the ad again.

Would you like an OASIS report for your new acquisition?

Breadfan
07-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Would you like an OASIS report for your new acquisition?

Nope, I missed out. As I expected, it went fast. I wasn't first with dibs it would seem. I just got an email from the seller letting me know the car is gone.

FYI it was a steal too. It was a 2001 Crown Vic with 117k, only thing wrong was one spark plug stripped out.

Price? $1000

Oh well, hope whoever got it knows about timeserts! I bet the seller was quoted by a repair shop for either new heads for $2500 or a new engine. Wonder if he knew it's not all that expensive a fix...

I was ready to pick up a "beater" heheh

RoyLPita
07-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Nope, I missed out. As I expected, it went fast. I wasn't first with dibs it would seem. I just got an email from the seller letting me know the car is gone.

FYI it was a steal too. It was a 2001 Crown Vic with 117k, only thing wrong was one spark plug stripped out.

Price? $1000

Oh well, hope whoever got it knows about timeserts! I bet the seller was quoted by a repair shop for either new heads for $2500 or a new engine. Wonder if he knew it's not all that expensive a fix...

I was ready to pick up a "beater" heheh

Ford strongly recommends replacing the head if the spark plug gets stripped out. See Dave Compson's thread about his ordeal.

Are you going to try for the 91 CVPI?

Breadfan
07-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Ford strongly recommends replacing the head if the spark plug gets stripped out. See Dave Compson's thread about his ordeal.

Are you going to try for the 91 CVPI?

Well, a don't have any leads on the transmission. I'm not even sure what trans they use...are they AOD, AODE or older C4/C6 trannies in those?

It's been listed since Thursday on craiglist, I expect it's spoken for. Things in this price range do not typically last long if they aren't beat up junkers.

As for the '01 with the stripped head, I am aware of the discussings of pros and cons of timeserts. I was going to try it anyway to see how it went. Otherwise I'd just get a set of PI heads, a local guy has some for sale for $300.

Only thing is I hear doing heads on the late model panthers even with SOHC is a pain due to firewall clearance. I've heard it's almost easier to pull the motor, or atleast unbolt it from the trans and shift it forward...that workload is why I would try a timesert, and if it blew out later I'd do the heads when it was cooler out.

But all a moot point now!

RoyLPita
07-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Most of the PI versions from 88-91 used an AOD with 1st gear lockout. This would show on the dash as "P R N O/D D 2".