PDA

View Full Version : DUW Installed some cobra manifolds

94_302
07-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Well I had been toying with this idea for a little while and I was really looking for a low budget way to open up the exhaust. I have to thank Rich_Long, his post and answers to my questiones convinced me to go for it. I started looking on svtperformance and other boards for someone willing to dump their manifolds. I finally found a guy in jax that I had talked to and was going to buy his set. I was going to be over there on a weekend trip to visit some family. Well he never showed up to the mustang meet :( But I started talking to some of the other owners at this meet and I got lucky, one of the guys there had a new motor he just pulled out of his wifes cobra and he agreed to sell me his manifolds.

Well I had the manifolds and the next step was to install them and that was a lot harder than I thought. Getting the mid pipe off was easy but the manifolds were a lot harder to get at. So after a few trips to Sears picking up deep sockets and a breaker bar I got them both installed.

Next was finding an exhaust shop and a mid pipe. I ended up at Miami Muffler and buying a VRS Catted X. I originally wanted to go with an o/r but I thought that might be a little too loud.
Here is the pipe being installed.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78110.jpg
Here it is done and on the car.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78116.jpg
I kept the stock mufflers for now to see how it would sound but I think I may go to something a little louder, it still sounds fairly stock. Ill do some sound clips later on.

Now for the challenging part, the EGR :mad2: Well since the cobra manifolds does not match up I had to figure something out. I first tried to make one out of some Home Depot fittings. As you can guess by looking at the picture it leaked and I was never able to really tighten it up. Also it did not look that great.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78134.jpg
After trying to make various fittings from home depot fit I was getting really frustrated with the whole process. Then my Dad told me about a local machine shop and said it might be worth a try. They took the original bolt from the cobra manifold, cut it in half and welded a 3 1/4 in. extension this was the result.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78120.jpg
It was just a little bit off. Since a bend would be too frustrating to work out, I did not take the car to him so he could not work on it while it was on the car. I decided cutting it a little, since the egr curves down and in hopefully this would do the trick. So he cut it down to 3 in.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78114.jpg
Then I got lucky and each end threaded in. So I tightened it to the manifold first then tightened the egr down. It took a bit of elbow grease but it fit and there is no leak.:banana: Also it looks 100x better than the adapter I tried to make. The whole project was tougher than I thought and I really got down on it all. I had considered quitting and just putting the stock exhaust back on but with some forced breaks and some help from my Dad and a friend it got done. I did not coat or port the manifolds, mainly because I wanted this to stay a budget exhaust setup. Also I think most of the power gained comes from the catted x. I can't tell if I really picked up too much down low but it does seem to pull harder in the mid to upper range. I guess now I should be thinking about getting a tune.

Edit: I thought I included a pic of the adapter installed but I didnt so here it is.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78115.jpg

KillJoy
07-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Nice! I'm planning on the same type of upgrade. How much did you pay for the X-Pipe? Where did you get it from?

KillJoy

94_302
07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Nice! I'm planning on the same type of upgrade. How much did you pay for the X-Pipe? Where did you get it from?

KillJoy

It was a VRS X-Pipe http://www.vrsexhaust.com/X-PIPES/x-pipes.html it was the 99-03 shorties and I did not get the stainless steel. It's a mustang X-pipe so you will still need an extension to the mufflers also the rear O2 sensors were a little short. So they welded shut the mustang ones and added some bungs a little further up.

I also forgot, the passenger side manifold needs a gasket I had no idea until I was at the shop but a friend located one near by that was laying around.

Glenn
07-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Sorry, but why would you go to all this work and not just install the FR shorty headers which are easily installed with the Cobra hi-flow X-pipe with CATS. The headers flow better then the OEM Cobra E/M. O.K., so what am I missing? Also, your custom made EGR fitting is available from Ford as a factory part. I have one on my Cobra shorty headers and X-pipe. No flames intented, just asking.

Glenn

94_302
07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
No flame taken, it was my understanding that the 03-04 cobra manifolds match up better to the head than the FR shorties that were designed for the pervious 4.6 heads.

MISTERgadget
07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Sorry, but why would you go to all this work and not just install the FR shorty headers which are easily installed with the Cobra hi-flow X-pipe with CATS. The headers flow better then the OEM Cobra E/M. O.K., so what am I missing? Also, your customer made EGR fitting is available from Ford as a factory part. I have one on my Cobra shorty headers and X-pipe. No flames intented, just asking.

Glenn

The ford racing shorties are almost $300 and he got his cobra manifolds for $25. Besides, his car doesn't make enough power to need anything more, it's stock with the exception of a K&N intake and accufab TB. His X pipe is catted too, as he said in the original post. The egr fitting was $30 or thereabouts, and was easier for him to get made than sorting through all the different ford parts available.

STLR FN
07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
... Also, your customer made EGR fitting is available from Ford as a factory part. I have one on my Cobra shorty headers and X-pipe....
GlennIf it is a factory Ford part, care to share the part number so those of us that are/will go this route can go to the dealership for said factory part?

Glenn
07-18-2006, 06:38 PM
O.K. - you answered my question. Understand about the slight mismatch with the FR shorty headers. Another approach to modding our MM.

Thanks,

Glenn

KillJoy
07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
O.K. - you answered my question. Understand about the slight mismatch with the FR shorty headers. Another approach to modding our MM.

Thanks,

Glenn

But....is there a Ford P/N for the extension?????

KillJoy

fastblackmerc
07-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry, but why would you go to all this work and not just install the FR shorty headers which are easily installed with the Cobra hi-flow X-pipe with CATS. The headers flow better then the OEM Cobra E/M. O.K., so what am I missing? Also, your custom made EGR fitting is available from Ford as a factory part. I have one on my Cobra shorty headers and X-pipe. No flames intented, just asking.

Glenn
Glenn, what is the Ford P/N for the EGR fitting?

ckadiddle
07-19-2006, 08:33 AM
You gotta get a tune if you haven't already. It really makes driving your MM more pleasureable, even in low speed city traffic. Under wide open throttle you'll feel the extra horses and crisp shifting.

RoyLPita
07-19-2006, 09:20 AM
They look good. :up:

Glenn
07-19-2006, 05:33 PM
O.K, it was two years ago when I had the work done. I will try and find the part number. It will take a few days.

Glenn

sabtaj1
10-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Did you ever locate that part# Glenn?? I got a set of 04 cobra manifolds for free. SO I am waiting to install untill I have everything I need. Thanks

merc6
10-08-2006, 04:34 PM
how much better were the factory cobra manifolds over our lincoln logs?

Glenn
10-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Sorry, I thought I was told that the EGR fitting was a Ford part. I was wrong. It has to be a custom made part as you see in the posting. My EGR fitting looks identical to the above one. I would follow this posting to make one up.

I realize money was a concern in doing this exhaust work, but I still believe the FR shorty headers and the Cobra Hi-flow X-pipe with 2 CATS is easier to install (with the exception of the EGR fittng) and provides more HP. In addition, the resulting sound with the OEM mufflers is very nice. My $.02.

Glenn

94_302
10-08-2006, 06:52 PM
how much better were the factory cobra manifolds over our lincoln logs?

When you have the two next to each other you can see there is a difference, I thought I had taken a picture of it but I can't find it. I'm not sure if most of the power from this kit is derived from the manifolds or the new x-pipe. But I guess it doesnt matter which one really provides the power because you can't do either mod by itself, without some custom work. The best way I can describe it without a pic is the way Rich_Long describes it here. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=357128&postcount=11

merc6
10-08-2006, 07:09 PM
When you have the two next to each other you can see there is a difference, I thought I had taken a picture of it but I can't find it. I'm not sure if most of the power from this kit is derived from the manifolds or the new x-pipe. But I guess it doesnt matter which one really provides the power because you can't do either mod by itself, without some custom work. The best way I can describe it without a pic is the way Rich_Long describes it here. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=357128&postcount=11 K thanx1 might be folling suit cause can't fork over Kooks money and I don't plan on breaking 12's. I'm going for X pipe as well.

Sully008
10-09-2006, 08:50 AM
The factory Cobra manifolds are slightly larger in diameter. Here's a pic from merc's gallery:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/StockvsCobra.jpg

The stockers are on the left. I bought a set of Cobra manifolds for $30 Cdn. so I'm just looking @ X-pipe options right now for next spring.