PDA

View Full Version : MM Stock brakes - are they grand marquis or police package?

TJH-Houston
07-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Yesterday I had master brake cylinder replaced on my 2004MM 300A. Brake shop ordered the clynder called for by VIN search, the "standard issue police package". That cylinder did not fit, because as it turns out I have the standard Grand Marquis brake package as stock on my MM from factory.

Is this correct? Will say this stumped the dealer and the brake shop for a day before they went to the "downgrade" brakes for the part. Ford said they had no techincal info on MM's stock brake package.

Rider90
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I would not have even thought they would be different in any way. The hype about "police" this and that is over-hyped if you ask me, having owned two P71s myself...

GreekGod
07-21-2006, 10:08 AM
I know on older police brakes, the calipers had steel pistons and the standard brakes had plastic pistons.

Drock96Marquis
07-22-2006, 12:12 PM
p71s get phenolic rear caliper pistons on most years. THey can often be replaced with steel piston calipers though. Phenolic is used to prevent th brake fluid from overheating and causing brake fade.

You MM likely has Traction Control, most late model p71s do not. The master cylinder is different between the Trac and normal cars. Most all Grand Marquis and civilian Vics come equipped with traction control. AFAIK the MM recieved the same master cylinder as any other comparably equipped (TRAC / no TRAC) 03+ panther. I'd imagine any difference at all would only be to provide adequete clearence for the larger intake tube and DOHC heads

RoyLPita
07-22-2006, 02:29 PM
The brake pads on the MM are "1 up" from the standard CV and GM. The only one above that would be the CVPI.

ex00p71
07-22-2006, 03:30 PM
My 2000 CVPI has steel rear caliper pistons.

stryker
07-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Ok after read all these posts I have to post this question. ¿ Which of these brake systems are better Police or civilian ?

STRYKER.

Drock96Marquis
07-22-2006, 06:40 PM
My 2000 CVPI has steel rear caliper pistons.

Some yeas did not get the phenolic rears, additionally, it is not uncommon for the calipers to be replaced with steel piston calipers.

¿ Which of these brake systems are better Police or civilian ?

Braking performance is the same, only when repeated hard braking cycles occur, heating the fluid, a CVPI *may* have a little better braking response. p71s also recieve superduty/severe duty brake pads (iirc the MMs recive the same front pads) but are known to be more prone to squeeling than the normal use pads, and to produce tons of dust.

stryker
07-23-2006, 06:38 PM
:confused: Still confused. ?????????????????????????????? ????????????????

STRYKER.