PDA

View Full Version : Trans Cooler Installed

DEFYANT
07-23-2006, 08:44 PM
I finally got around to installing the Ford Racing transmission cooler today. Dam things been laying around for about 6 months :shake: . This was the first mod in the new garage. It is so nice having room to work!

Anyway, I chose to install the cooler low behind the bumper. Here is a few pics from my gallery:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/TransCooler.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/TransCooler2.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/TransCooler3.JPG

The pics look like the cooler is on a severe angle. It is tilted forward, but the pics exagerate the angel. It really is not that bad. Looking through the lower grill mod, you can see the trans cooler.

I hooked into the lines AFTER the OEM cooler. I did the research and explored both sides of the argument regarding proper aux trans cooler placement. This works for me, so no flames please. If I find the trans is not running at proper temps in colder weather, I can easily reroute the lines.

A quick test drive revealed a 20* cooler difference from 180* to 160* under normal driving. I got the temps up to 180*, but that took abit of work. She cooled off rather quick too.

This was with an (inacurate) Autometer Trans Temp guage. It reads low. The next time I data log the car, I'll post up actual temp differences.

...til then :burnout:

SergntMac
07-24-2006, 01:59 AM
Niiiiiice....Congrats, Charlie.

O's Fan Rich
07-24-2006, 03:49 AM
Good job, Charlie.
I bought the B&M version and installed it last weekend. It's in the center of the car up front and mounted to the cenetr rad support area up top wit a bracket attached at the bottom.
I have two sensors for the temp gauge one in one out of the coolers and switch between. Out to the coolers runs 190-200 back in... 150-160. Nice.

fastblackmerc
07-24-2006, 04:28 AM
Looks good! You might want to add two more pieces of the material for the grill mod like I did to cover that big open area.

Zack
07-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Looks good Charlie, where's the air damn? Just not installed in the pic I hope?

Zack
07-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Also, this is a good place to install a heat exchaner for a blower. With the exact same cooler! Or bigger if it will fit.

Bluerauder
07-24-2006, 05:50 AM
I finally got around to installing the Ford Racing transmission cooler today.
Looking good, Charlie !!! Was a very busy weekend for you. I should have paid much more attention to my father when I was growing up -- so that I would have the talent to do work on the car.

DEFYANT
07-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks everyone.

Zack, yeah the air dam is on the car. You can see it in the 1st pic. I loaded them wrong. The 1st pic is the finished product. I'm not happy with those pics at all.

I was looking real hard at installing a second intercooler down there, but decided to go with a more efficient (sp?) unit to replace the "OEM" one. In SgtMac fashion, I will test and post results as best I can with what I have.

Rich, that is a neat idea! I will be installing a similar mod for the engine and intercooler systems.

Charlie, the rights of passage through life dictate that one must ignore their father. Until the proper age of about 25 when suddenly one realizes, "Hey, the ole guy really was on to something". I couldn't afford to do this stuff if I had to pay someone. Besides, that would take out most of the fun. Not pictured was my son and daughter, each on my creepers under the car with me.

I got the floor!! :lol:

Thanks again.

SID210SA
07-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Looks good! You might want to add two more pieces of the material for the grill mod like I did to cover that big open area.

Hey charlie...I would agree with this...since a rock or other piece of debris could bounce up and hit that new cooler. Also...what is the yellow piece and is that a deer whistle....?:) Both Items that I refer to are in the third pic.

DEFYANT
07-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey charlie...I would agree with this...since a rock or other piece of debris could bounce up and hit that new cooler. Also...what is the yellow piece and is that a deer whistle....?:) Both Items that I refer to are in the third pic.

That is the drop light cord. Yup, those are deer whistles. I may do the under bumper mod in time. The cooler is made of quality material. It would need a pretty good hit to disable it.

MarauderTJA
07-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Good job, Charlie.
I bought the B&M version and installed it last weekend. It's in the center of the car up front and mounted to the cenetr rad support area up top wit a bracket attached at the bottom.
I have two sensors for the temp gauge one in one out of the coolers and switch between. Out to the coolers runs 190-200 back in... 150-160. Nice.

Rich, I have the B&M cooler with the built-in fan. Is that the one you got? Need some pics to help with the install. Have to fabricate some brackets.

MarauderTJA
07-24-2006, 09:01 AM
I finally got around to installing the Ford Racing transmission cooler today. Dam things been laying around for about 6 months :shake: . This was the first mod in the new garage. It is so nice having room to work!

Anyway, I chose to install the cooler low behind the bumper. Here is a few pics from my gallery:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/TransCooler.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/TransCooler2.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/TransCooler3.JPG

The pics look like the cooler is on a severe angle. It is tilted forward, but the pics exagerate the angel. It really is not that bad. Looking through the lower grill mod, you can see the trans cooler.

I hooked into the lines AFTER the OEM cooler. I did the research and explored both sides of the argument regarding proper aux trans cooler placement. This works for me, so no flames please. If I find the trans is not running at proper temps in colder weather, I can easily reroute the lines.

A quick test drive revealed a 20* cooler difference from 180* to 160* under normal driving. I got the temps up to 180*, but that took abit of work. She cooled off rather quick too.

This was with an (inacurate) Autometer Trans Temp guage. It reads low. The next time I data log the car, I'll post up actual temp differences.

...til then :burnout:

Nice clean job! Looks great.

O's Fan Rich
07-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Rich, I have the B&M cooler with the built-in fan. Is that the one you got? Need some pics to help with the install. Have to fabricate some brackets.
No fan, but it would work good. I'll have to upload a picture or two when I get home.
Here's what I did:
I used one of the B&M metal brackets and after removing the center air dam bolt, I slid it in to the 2nd hole and put the bolt back in.
Then I took a piece of 18 gauge and bent an angle the length of the cooler and 2inches x 3 inces, drilled two holes to bolt the cooler to the angle on the 2 inch side and two holes for the metal bracket to bolt to the angle.
Then I simply tie wrapped the top of the cooler to the center support using all 4 holes up top.
I needed to get 4 feet of extra 3/8 hose to complete.
In case you need to know, looking down on the hoses on the original tranny cooler from the engine compartment. The hose to the left, the outside hose, is the "out" from the tranny. I go into the factory cooler first, then to the B&M and back to the tranny. Trust me, that knocks at least 20 degrees off. I had it wrong at first and the temps climbed way too high!

MarauderTJA
07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
No fan, but it would work good. I'll have to upload a picture or two when I get home.
Here's what I did:
I used one of the B&M metal brackets and after removing the center air dam bolt, I slid it in to the 2nd hole and put the bolt back in.
Then I took a piece of 18 gauge and bent an angle the length of the cooler and 2inches x 3 inces, drilled two holes to bolt the cooler to the angle on the 2 inch side and two holes for the metal bracket to bolt to the angle.
Then I simply tie wrapped the top of the cooler to the center support using all 4 holes up top.
I needed to get 4 feet of extra 3/8 hose to complete.
In case you need to know, looking down on the hoses on the original tranny cooler from the engine compartment. The hose to the left, the outside hose, is the "out" from the tranny. I go into the factory cooler first, then to the B&M and back to the tranny. Trust me, that knocks at least 20 degrees off. I had it wrong at first and the temps climbed way too high!

Cool! Thanks for the info Rich. I will also use the factory cooler and lines as you indicated. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

stryker
07-24-2006, 02:19 PM
:beer: Very,Very Waesome Mang keep that way I have wishes to do the same.

STRYKER.

RoNiN77
07-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Looks good D!! Do you by chance have one of those upgraded fan blades for your radiator? Put a JLT intake in my MM, the guys are right, helluva difference.:beer:

MarauderMark
07-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Nice work Cha it looks good:up:.we're gonna have to hang out a lil more often.:D

Glenn
07-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Fellows:

Any reason not to just to mount the trans cooler flat against the radiator and in my case directly below the intercooler?

Glenn

DEFYANT
07-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Fellows:

Any reason not to just to mount the trans cooler flat against the radiator and in my case directly below the intercooler?

Glenn

You can do that. But most of the trans cooler will be blocked by the bumper. At least thats how it would have been in my case.

The way I mounted mine, the whole thing is exposed to fresh air when cruising.

sweetair
07-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Charlie, this is on my to do list. Looks great. I need to buy mine first. Is it pretty straight forward where you are plumbing it into the system? Stupid question.

DEFYANT
07-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Yep, not a big deal. The hardest part was picking the location. I've seen several other ideas and couldn't deside. But after checking out Gordon and Chris' new KB Marauder, I was sold. It's not a complete copy, but it's similar.

I had already figured out which line ran the hot fluid from the trans to the radiator when I hooked in the trans temp guage sender.

If you are planning on a self-install, let me know when.

Hotrauder
07-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Dayam, Charlie. Now I have to do mine. As long as yours was lounging in the garage I didn't feel any pressure to install mine. Now I am stuck. thanks for the thread and pics. I will go to work soon. Dennis

Glenn
07-29-2006, 06:48 PM
I basically followed Defyant trans cooler install, mounting angle and location. I used a B&M Supercooler part #70264, 14,400 BTU versus the 9,800 BTU model in the FRC. A solidly built unit. The installed cooler is the same size as the FRC one, but it is twice as thick (3/4" vs 1 1/2"). I (Scott) also installed the B&M cooler before the OEM cooler. I am not sure it really makes a great deal of difference.

Driving back from Team Ford on my 50 mile return trip at 70-75 mph. The Autometer trans temperature gauge read about 183 degrees with an O/S temp of 95 degrees. (The sending unit is located on the driver's side of the trans in the available plugged port). I was hoping for a temperature below 180 degrees. It seems to cool about 18 degrees at highway speeds and hot O/S temps.

Also, installed the $1.29 gutter guard grill guard in the lower grill. Looks very nice. Least expensive MM mod I have ever installed.

Glenn

stryker
07-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Pics, Pics, Pics.

STRYKER

2ndMDRebel
08-03-2006, 06:27 AM
What is the optimal temperature for the transmission fluid? Is it possible to have the fluid too cool?

Please forgive the basic questions...

DEFYANT
08-03-2006, 06:52 AM
What is the optimal temperature for the transmission fluid? Is it possible to have the fluid too cool?

Please forgive the basic questions...

Yes to cool can be just as bad as too hot. Should I have a problemin cold weather, I can simply disconnect the cooler. But I seriously doubt it'll get much cooler than 160*

The ideal operating temp for our transmissions is in the 160*-180* range. For every 20* of increase in transmission fluid temps above 170F, the life of the fluid is cut in half.

More info: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page5.shtml

sweetair
08-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Yep, not a big deal. The hardest part was picking the location. I've seen several other ideas and couldn't deside. But after checking out Gordon and Chris' new KB Marauder, I was sold. It's not a complete copy, but it's similar.

I had already figured out which line ran the hot fluid from the trans to the radiator when I hooked in the trans temp guage sender.

If you are planning on a self-install, let me know when.A self install is coming soon. I just got mine the other day. It says to hook it up in "series" w/the OEM cooler. After it. I just need to figure out which line flows to it and which one from it, and tap into there. Stupid? do you use teflon tape? with the connections. I also got the pan w/drain plug and a new gasket. When I do that mod i'm planning on also getting a new filter as well. Why not since I am in there. All this will be done in one time. Now just finding the time.....

DEFYANT
08-03-2006, 09:36 PM
A self install is coming soon. I just got mine the other day. It says to hook it up in "series" w/the OEM cooler. After it. I just need to figure out which line flows to it and which one from it, and tap into there. Stupid? do you use teflon tape? with the connections. I also got the pan w/drain plug and a new gasket. When I do that mod i'm planning on also getting a new filter as well. Why not since I am in there. All this will be done in one time. Now just finding the time.....

I'll be under the car tomorrow and will get a pic of the trans fluid lines.

No teflon tape needed. Just the proper hose and clamps.

stryker
08-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Pics,Pics,Pics,C'mon Picspost'em

STRYKER.

DEFYANT
08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Data logger results:

It took awhile with easy driving to get the trans up to "normal" (160*+) running temps.

Noral driving to cruiseing speeds, trans stayed around 170*. Romp on it and temps climb to 190* then cools to the mid 180*.

From a stop, WOT blast will cause the temps to hit 200*. But it cools off with normal driving and stays at 185*.

Also, I have since added a deep trans pan for more fluid capacity.

I am very happy with the results since my trans temps prior to these mods have been + 200* with only moderate driving.

SergntMac
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Pics,Pics,Pics,C'mon Picspost'em

STRYKER.Ummm...Your 'puter working okay? Check post #1?

merc
08-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Data logger results:

It took awhile with easy driving to get the trans up to "normal" (160*+) running temps.

Noral driving to cruiseing speeds, trans stayed around 170*. Romp on it and temps climb to 190* then cools to the mid 180*.

From a stop, WOT blast will cause the temps to hit 200*. But it cools off with normal driving and stays at 185*.

Also, I have since added a deep trans pan for more fluid capacity.

I am very happy with the results since my trans temps prior to these mods have been + 200* with only moderate driving.

Funny that you are talking about tanny temps. On my field trip to Bristol TN the co-pilot (Pam) noticed that the trany temp gauge was above 200 degrees. The exterior temps neared 100 and altitude was over 2000 ft. I didn't see any problems and everything returned to normal after the temperatures lowered. I am also investigating a frame mounted cooler for my Marauder in addition to the factor unit.

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

MarauderTJA
08-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Great information Charlie, thanks.

Glenn
08-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Did anyone add trans fluid when they installed the cooler?? I did not see any information in the instructions.

Glenn

DEFYANT
08-09-2006, 06:36 PM
My fluid level dropped to just below the cross-hatch area after the cooler was installed.

I did not add because I dumped the pan several days later.