PDA

View Full Version : towing, trans cooler, deep pan, and overdrive

Grifter
07-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Once I get the MM all setup to tow my small trailer (1 place snowmobile trailer, with snowmobile (~500#) and trailer, it should weigh under 1200#)
I am wondering whether or not I can/should use overdrive.

I will have an auxiliary trans cooler, deep trans pan, and temp gauge on the car before I tow. Is the overdrive band just to weak and going to be slipping the whole time while towing, or with these additions would I be fine in OD if i keep a close eye on the trans temps?

RF Overlord
07-24-2006, 09:51 AM
The short answer is: "it depends..." ;) The issue with the O/D band isn't that it will slip while under way, but that it doesn't like being applied and released under heavy acceleration or load. If your driving will be primarily on relatively flat ground, then leave it in O/D. If you're going to be in mountainous country, then turn it off so it isn't constantly engaging and disengaging.

BTW, good on ya for adding the aux cooler and deeper pan...they'll make a big difference in your transmission's longevity.

If you're going to tow this rig a lot, then changing the ATF more often is a good idea, too. Something like every 10-15k would not be too often.

LVMarauder
07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
+1 , you have taken all the measures you can ( minus a built trans) to ensure maximum performance and life. I'd say use OD for gas milage on the straights like RF said, but moutians kick the OD lockout on.

Grifter
07-24-2006, 11:27 AM
its a pretty flat haul i would be doing..
Minneapolis to northern MN.. maybe 2-3 times a year, and drag it around to local places, trail heads etc..

so it sounds like a go with OD, as long as the temps are ok.. If i am feeling frisky i might even change over to Merc5 fluid while i have the pan down. it has 61k on it now, so its due none the less..

RF Overlord
07-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Grifter, your transmission already has MV in it, you don't need to "change over" to it. Ford did that for you in 1997. :P :D

If you have 61xxx miles on it and it's never been changed ( :eek: shame on you), I would recommend strongly that you do a complete fluid exchange, not just a pan-drop, before you tow anything.

Grifter
07-24-2006, 12:45 PM
hey, i just got the car with 58k on it :D I dont know if the previous owner has ever changed it..
Good to know about the MV though. I didnt know when/if Ford changed over..

juno
07-24-2006, 12:51 PM
and another Q while we are on the subject.... Has anyone towed with a PI stall yet. I have not tried it yet.