PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Situation of Delete Tips

wchain
07-25-2006, 07:17 AM
I got a call from the owner over at Megs.

Delete tips are no longer going to be produced.

The reason? They purchased a LOAD of 3.5" stock to produce MM exhaust pipes for Ford into 2008. Yes. They were told they would be making tips till 2008. So when the Marauder program was cancelled for after model year 2004. Megs had a bunch of stock left over. Which is why they LOVE me, because I've been buying and moving their 3.5" stock. Sending them all over the world. Well, now the 3.5" stock as run out (used to make Bullitt and Mach I tips as well) and I got the call last week. No more. They can make the 3.5" tips for me, but they have to buy stock. Instead of thousands of feet of stock, they will be buying 50-60 feet at a time. What does that mean? The cost goes up quite a bit on the material. And on the selling price, and I'd have to buy 10-20 sets at a time.

So, we're trying to come to a solution of what to do. I had many sets left, but lately with all the lease cars being snatched up, tip sales are going up again, they were very slow from mid 2004 till end of 05. I just wanted the folks here to know.

Currently, they have 1 crate of Resonated tips sitting there, and he's trying to find a way to remove the baffle/resonator without damaging the tip. This may be an option. Meanwhile, I'm not sure what to do, as a member of the MM community, I am concerned with long term preservation/restoration of the cars themselves. I want to make sure that the tips are available as long as people are into keeping their MMs nice and 'correct' as far as parts go. I never thought I'd see the day that the product that started my little business would ever cease to exist.

I'm also wondering how many "tailpipe assemblies" that Ford has sitting around. Which is the 700 dollar per side piece of exhaust tip and pipe that goes to the rear muffler. How many of those are in existance still?

The Motorsport aftermarket tip, which is a bastard child, it has no resonator a 2.25" inlet and 3.5" exit vs the delete tips 2.5" inlet and 3.5" outlet. This was due to the fact that after Ford did the prototype, the NVH testers did not like the sound. So they made the tip 2.5", installed the 'baffle' and it was 2.25 with the baffle going in. The 2.25" delete tips are leftovers that Meg's did not want back. They are also sold out.

So, I thought I'd let you guys know in advance, we'll see what happens, I am going to work with Megs to try to get something to happen one way or another. Meanwhile the 4" tip project may go forth for those that want some more 'bling' around the rear bumper and fill the holes better....

the_pack_rat
07-25-2006, 11:48 AM
So are you gonna replace these with "Mugs Whistler Tips" ?.

FordPartsCounte
08-17-2006, 01:58 PM
any more updates?

wchain
08-28-2006, 12:29 PM
I've been in negotiation with Megs and doing a lot of begging and pleading right now. We'll see after the 4" tip purchase comes around.

Stay tuned Sports Fans!

Breadfan
08-28-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm sure this has been brought up with them but if they are willin to do 4"-ers in a group buy situation maybe they can do runs of the originals in say a minimum-of-10-units group buy going forward.

FastMerc
08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Well that down right sucks I was gonna place an order for those delete tips:mad:

MarauderMark
08-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Dayum i have a set still in the box plus the ones i take off for the 4"tips.welp up on the self they go.:D