PDA

View Full Version : Tire question...yep!

Breadfan
07-28-2006, 11:21 AM
For those with KDW-2, on the fronts did you get the stock 235-50-18's or the 245-45-18's?

Believe it or not the 245 series tires are about $20 cheaper a tire.

I was wondering what they look like, if anything compared to the stock ones. The 245's are going to be about .6 inches shorter.

Any effect on handling? Something tells me the 245's will grip ever so slightly more...

Just wondering if there is a reason to spend the extra $40 for the 235 series tires when I can get slightly wider tires up front that are almost as tall...

TAF
07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Stock size...you won't be sorry....

Breadfan
07-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Stock size...you won't be sorry....

So, will I be sorry with the 245's? :D

And if so, how sorry? If only a few tears I cry, I can always wipe my eyes with the two spare $20 bills in my pocket. ROFL!

Seriously though, I guess the main question is how the front end reacts to tire changes like that. I'm sure yes it's designed for a certain tire size but keep in mind also I may lower the front in a bit.

Any more info regarding the difference?

I'll go whichever direction is the right way to go, but on my Tire Matrix I do indicate the prices and anyone seeing the choice is going to be in the same $40 dilemna. If there is a solid reason for going OEM it might make a good footnote.

Thanks!!!!

LVMarauder
07-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Technically you do have a bigger footprint with the 245 and a little stiffer sidewall it being shorter. I run the 235 up front with lowering springs and have very little gap and the look I want on my car. I may go to 245's next time around but right now I have a bad ass handling marauder with plenty of grip.

ckadiddle
07-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I went with same as stock size in front on KDW2s. No reason other than staying as close to what the car was designed for as possible.

Blackened300a
07-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Maybe MTAMERC9 will chime in. He has 245's on the front and 255's on the rear with stock Rims. They have a slight bulge to them but he said it made a very nice improvment.

Smokie
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I have the stock size up front, I am happy with results. Don't want the front end lower than already is. My opinion is; the lower the sidewall on your front tires the greater the chance you will ruin a wheel if you make a mistake.

Breadfan
07-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Well I'm still not decided yet. Like I said, I'll do what's right. I'm wondering if I'll like the look of the shorter tire anyway...

If it's just a minor thing between the two then the $40 may come into play - it's a tough habit to break...

Anyway tirerack won't do anything with them until Monday anyway so I got the weekend to think it over. But can't wait any longer than that, my KDWS's are gone.

ctrcbob
07-29-2006, 10:49 AM
I would go with the 245/50-18. Although my fronts still look like new at 20k, my rears will be gone very soon, worn in the center (and I don't horse it). I am thinking of replacing all four with the 245/50-18. Slightly larger in front and slightly smaller in the rear (3%) but easier to replace, and easier to find each time BFG runs out of tires. May not work on 04's with TC, but my 03 does not have TC so should work fine.

Breadfan
07-31-2006, 07:33 AM
OK, y'all convinced me, I'll be wiping my tears with tissues and not $20 bills as I'm going to order the OEM size fronts.

Only thing that will stop me is if someone would be kind enough to post a pic of their front KDW-2 tires that are 245-45-18 - I do want to see how they look still!

Along the same lines - do the backs look "balloonish" at all? It's ahrd to tell from the pics. Oh well, this is still the route I am going to go since I'm not widening just yet...

Thanks for the pics, and still curious if anyone has pics of the 245's up front.

Oh and I could be a total rebel and go with the Nexen tires... ;)