PDA

View Full Version : Glass polish

Steve_NC
07-29-2006, 07:14 AM
I am trying to clean either hard water stains or acid rain drops from my exterior windows. The streaking that is left behind after cleaning is just not acceptable. I did a forum search and I like the idea of the Zaino glass polish. The problem with this product is the powder that it makes when removed.

Has anyone tried using SoftScrub? Any other new products out there that have been tried? I am even considering trying a buffing wheel and polishing rouge. The idea is from a friend that had to clean the canopies on fighter planes in WW II. Think of the wonderful mess that would make.

MM03MOK
07-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Bon Ami or a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar.

jim geary
07-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Bon Ami Not bad. A1 spot and stain remover may work even better. Large
janitoral supply may carry it. Many spot removers on the market. Don't think
I'ed use the buffer unless you are very gentle. Too much pressure and you can warp the glass. Where do you park your car that you have all this water
damage? As a last resort you can always acid wash. Be very careful. 2 person job on car. One to apply and scrub and the other to remove with
water right away and don't get any on your rubber gaskets.Good luck.

de minimus
07-29-2006, 08:08 AM
.......50/50 mix of water and vinegar.

apply liberally, then dry off using newspaper - the black & white type - coloured print doesn't work as well. Repeat the process and then 2 coats of rainX.

Steve_NC
07-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Bon Ami Not bad. A1 spot and stain remover may work even better. Large
janitoral supply may carry it. Many spot removers on the market. Don't think
I'ed use the buffer unless you are very gentle. Too much pressure and you can warp the glass. Where do you park your car that you have all this water
damage? As a last resort you can always acid wash. Be very careful. 2 person job on car. One to apply and scrub and the other to remove with
water right away and don't get any on your rubber gaskets.Good luck.

I park the car in the garage, but I bought it used. I dont think the original owner ever washed the MM. I am still trying to get rid of tree sap, and the hood ornament. I figure if i wash it enough both the sap and ornament will wear off.

DefyantExWife
07-29-2006, 10:12 AM
i always heard about the newspaper thing, but it sounds to me like the ink would rub off so i never tried.

MM03MOK
07-29-2006, 10:16 AM
i always heard about the newspaper thing, but it sounds to me like the ink would rub off so i never tried.Best thing for windows. Leaves nothing behind.

jim geary
07-29-2006, 10:53 AM
how do you keep from getting ink all over your hands?:confused:

MM03MOK
07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
how do you keep from getting ink all over your hands?:confused:Doesn't come off the newspaper.

jim geary
07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Steve, with the Zaino. If it does leave a powder you can always wash it off.
Just remember to dry or wipe dry. If in fact after all the cleaning and you still
have water spots you might have what is called erosion. Comes in stages.
1st. is spotting, 2ed Stage is when you acid wash. After that you would be
better off replacing the glass. And stay away from sprinklers.

bradical
07-29-2006, 11:23 AM
The cleaner Barkeepers Friend does an excellent job on auto glass. It is non-scratching but does a very good job getting even the tough spots out. While it is similar to Bon Ami, I prefer Barkeepers. It is readily available wherever cleaning supplies are sold- usually right next to the Ajax and Comet. It comes in a gold package.

Hard water spots can be removed with white vinegar. Soak a clean rag with the vinegar and rub gently. If really tough, lave the wet rag on teh glass over the spots for while (out of the sun, of course.) Then clean with Barkeepers of window cleaner.

The newspaper trick works great, and newprint is lint free.

All of my comments are for exterior glass only. Interior I use a product called Pro-Tect-Tint, especially desiged for cleaning window tint film. Works great, and never any problems. My last car had tint that was 9 years old and still looked good.

Steve_NC
07-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Thank you all for the tips. I am going to try the Bon Ami. I just got the car back from the paintless dent remover place. I am going to head out and try it now. Newspaper works great for windows. I have used it for many years, and noone ever believes the fact that it works well. Try it, and you wont use anything else.

TX Harley Guy
07-29-2006, 02:58 PM
to clean your glass try Stoners Invisiglass and the cheapest paper towels you can get, Stoners will remove almost anything and cheap paper towels have no oils in them to soften the paper.

Sprayway is good stuff too, dosent streak, no amonia and wont hurt your paint or moldings.

BAD MERC
07-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Here's a quick way without buying anything; try Coca-Cola. The acidic ingredients with carbonated water will remove rust, battery acid corrosion and water spots. Okay sue me- I "glanced" at a hints from Heloise book. ONCE!

rayjay
07-29-2006, 04:41 PM
+2 on the Bon Ami and newspaper.

DEFYANT
07-29-2006, 05:02 PM
I thought news paper had oil in it. Oil on the outside of the windows could be a problem.

Inside is good, as long as you don't use it on tinted glass.

MENINBLK
07-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Here is the PROPER way to polish your windshield.
It removes all debris from the glass.

http://www.properautocare.com/polishglass.html

Steve_NC
07-30-2006, 09:57 AM
.....OK I have tried the Bon Ami, isopropyl alcohol, and the vinger. The window is super clean and crystal clear when its dry. When I wipe a damp cloth over the window you can see the streaks appear. Is this acid etching? Any ideas on what I am dealing with? Thanks again for all of the input, and tolerating the questions. I know its a rather boring topic.:confused:

Butch
07-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Steve,

I have had the same problem numerous times. I use a product called Nu-Glass made by Duragloss.
http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=303

I get it at Napa. It takes a little bit of elbow grease, but it will remove the acid spots. Do a small section (5 inch x 5 inch) and see what you think.

My first bottle of this stuff came from a friend that owns a professional car cleanup shop here in Greensboro. I took the car to him and showed him the windows and he brought the bottle out to me and showed me how well it works. He gave me the bottle and told me to finish it. Stuff worked great. If you were close to me, I would let you try some from my bottle to show you that it works before you spent money on a whole new bottle.

Just remember that it takes a little bit of work. Just spread it on and start buffing it into the glass. You could use a buffing wheel if you had one, but a large one will NOT work. Needs to be one of the 4" buffing glass buffing wheels, which is what my friend uses, but since I didn't have one of those, I had to do it by hand.

I just had my car cleaned up by my friend two weeks ago and had him take care of the glass this time. He said he had to go over the moonroof twice to get all of the acid eching out of it.

Let me know if you have questions about using this stuff. I will try to explain it better.

Later!
Butch

stryker
07-30-2006, 09:48 PM
I just use "Invisible Glass" and it works great.

STRYKER.

Bigdogjim
07-30-2006, 09:53 PM
If you can find it "Glass wax" sold in a pink can!