PDA

View Full Version : Xcal2 - LiveLink Question

jonroe
07-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Lidio,

I've been using your tune for my 04 MM for about a year now (got it 8/9/05) and have just started to look into using the SCT LiveLink software to do data logging.

Question: SCT says I need to update the Xcal2 firmware to at least V1.10 in order to use data logging. I have downloaded V1.14 from their web site and the instructions for updating the Xcal2 firmware. It says I must re-load the factory tune into the car before updating the firmware. I guess that is because the saved factory tune could be (or is) lost during the upgrade. What happens to your 2 performance tunes during the upgrade? Are they saved off and re-loaded onto the Xcal2? I just would like to know the right sequence of events so as not to lose your tunes in the device during this upgrade.

Thanks.

Jon

Dennis Reinhart
07-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Lidio,

I've been using your tune for my 04 MM for about a year now (got it 8/9/05) and have just started to look into using the SCT LiveLink software to do data logging.

Question: SCT says I need to update the Xcal2 firmware to at least V1.10 in order to use data logging. I have downloaded V1.14 from their web site and the instructions for updating the Xcal2 firmware. It says I must re-load the factory tune into the car before updating the firmware. I guess that is because the saved factory tune could be (or is) lost during the upgrade. What happens to your 2 performance tunes during the upgrade? Are they saved off and re-loaded onto the Xcal2? I just would like to know the right sequence of events so as not to lose your tunes in the device during this upgrade.

Thanks.

Jon

No the upgrade is with the live tune and xtreme software nothing to do with the tunes that are retained in the tuner, just go to SCT website and download the latest files, and make sure you have live load files

DEFYANT
07-30-2006, 07:20 PM
You may also find this thread interesting:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21042&highlight=data+logging

jonroe
07-31-2006, 05:22 AM
Dennis,

I'm sorry I'm thick on this. I don't know what live load files are. All I have is the Xcal2 with two custom tunes and want to do passive data logging. I don't care to do any tuning. I can't tell from the SCT "instructions" exactly what's going on and whether my custom tunes will be preserved during the Xcal2 firmware upgrade to V1.14.

Charlie,

Thanks for the pointer to the other threads here and at SCT. I'll pick through them. Looks like a struggle to understand exactly what to do.

Jon

Lidio
07-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Dennis,

I'm sorry I'm thick on this. I don't know what live load files are. All I have is the Xcal2 with two custom tunes and want to do passive data logging. I don't care to do any tuning. I can't tell from the SCT "instructions" exactly what's going on and whether my custom tunes will be preserved during the Xcal2 firmware upgrade to V1.14.

Charlie,

Thanks for the pointer to the other threads here and at SCT. I'll pick through them. Looks like a struggle to understand exactly what to do.

Jon

If all you want to do is passive data logging using any Xcal-II... All you need is the livelink software, a USB A to B cable and a Laptop or PC connected to the Xcal with the livelink software running. This will allow you to data-log and look at all the various sensors and readings coming from the OBD-II port in real time. No firm ware update is needed to use it as a Pass through data-logger with a PC.

jonroe
07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Lidio,

I have the LiveLink installed on my laptop. I have the cable (left over from my printer). So, I just have to plug everything in and start looking at data? I could sit and watch the data while idling or record some with LiveLink while driving? I'll give it a try.

Is there any other advantage to "upgrading" the firmware on the Xcal2?

By the way, this weekend I switched from your 93 octane tune to the 91 octane tune. In recent months I can't seem to get away without some pinging even though I am consistently using Sunoco, or Exxon, or Shell 93 premium. This has been even before all the hot weather recently. If the 91 tune doesn't ping, might it be worthwhile to see if you could tweak my 93 tune or wouldn't it be worth it?

Thanks.

Jon

Smokie
07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
I recently encountered light pinging, this helped me:PINGING (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28351)

jonroe
07-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Smokie,

Thanks for the interesting read. I don't have the pinging at light throttle. I anly get it as I approach WOT - makes me back off before burying the foot.

I'm sorry for sending this thread off on a tangent.

Jon

jonroe
08-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Folks,

I got the passive "off device" logging to work this weekend. All I had to do was install the SCT drivers for the LiveLink software to be able to communicate with the Xcal2 through the USB port. It seemed to work fine. I logged about 11 minutes of driving around in my area at different speeds and load conditions including a couple of WOTs. It was interesting to see the drop in voltage from 13 down to 12 when at WOT because Lidio's tune turns off the alternator then. Also noteworthy was the very steady coolant temperature on a hot day. It stayed around 196 and only varied from 192 to 200 during the drive.

I'm sorry for my confusing questions earlier. I was looking at the "on device", as in on the Xcal2, logging instructions which are more involved and need the Xcal2 firmware update.

Jon