PDA

View Full Version : Ride and Drive

jdando
08-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Anyone else interested? Here is a chance to drive and compare BMW, Lexus and Cadillac autos from Car and Driver Magazine.

"You have been invited to put yourself behind the wheel and perform your own side by side comparison tests like our editors do. Test the BMW, Cadillac and Lexus and uncover a variety of performance attributes including acceleration, handling, braking, ride and stability control on our specialized test courses. In addition to enjoying a once in a lifetime driving opportunity, you will receive a personalized in-car video and a chance to have your own opinions printed in the magazine!"

<table class="text" border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Canterbury Park
1100 Canterbury Rd.
Shakopee, MN 55379 </td></tr> <tr><td height="10">
</td></tr> <tr><td>Saturday 09/09/2006, 10:00 AM</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://www.rideanddrive.net/minn

There are multiple sessions on Saturday and Sunday. I signed up for the 10:00 am Saturday session. Sign up fast, I am sure this will fill up.

I wonder how these cars will compared to my big old luxo-barge:lol:

jeremy

Bradley G
08-03-2006, 04:37 PM
I wonder how these cars will compared to my big old luxo-barge:lol:(quote)
None!:D

VNMUS
08-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Do you know if there are still spots open for this?

VIKINGMM
08-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Just signed up. Sounds like fun.

SID210SA
08-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Kind of like the Auto Show in Motion that was here....very cool....got to drive all G.M. brands including Hummer, H2, and H3, Caddy, Vette, and the GTO along with many others.....great time on the coarses.

jdando
09-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Just got back from my morning as "Guest Editor" for Car and Driver.

It was a first class, well run event. It was basically a hands on driving experience of the following; BMW 530xi, Cadillac STS4, Lexus RX350, Cadillac SRT.

Got a couple of runs on a "autocross" type course and then write our feedback and comments.

Quite a few cones were collected during the time I was there! I suspect they go through a set of tires a day. All cars/SUV's are very refined and luxurious. MSRP was $47,000 for the SUV and about $55,000 for the cars.

Both the SUV's were SUV like. The Lexus really handled like a pig and after the "accident avoidance" section and a hard right hand turn the power steering pump cavitated and I lost power steering for a brief second half way through the turn:nono:. That did nothing to endear that SUV to me.

I would recommend this type of event to anyone who enjoys cars and likes to drive in a spirited manner.

Comparisons to my MM.
Both sedans are hopelessly underpowered, throttle response on the BMW was terrible (and I do not think this was stability/traction control related). Shifts were very smooth, soft. No exhaust sound/tone. Stock tires blow.
Suspension was soft and lots of body roll.

They both had more creature comforts than my MM, the passenger compartment was smaller and less open. Seating was better than my MM.

Sedan Economics.

Them $59,000 out the door
MM (new) plus trilogy, plus brakes $49,000

More luxury in the 2006 cars, better computers, etc.
Way more performance and soul in the MM (and $10,000 in my wallet)

Bottom line
Love my MM, no need to change (even if I could afford it)

jeremy

VNMUS
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Great write up Jeremy. I would have been there if I didn't have my daughter that day.

VIKINGMM
09-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Did it Sunday am. Had a blast!! Not many times do you get the chance to
rip up 4 new vehicles. I agree Jeremy, not real performance cars, but if you want comfort and lots of creature comforts these were pretty good. If you
want to pay for it, that is.

That was fun fun fun!!