PDA

View Full Version : I've Given Up On A Chip

Ross
05-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Well Fellows, after talking to several chip makers, and being ready to order a chip, I got under my dash and spent 30 minutes trying to remove the plastic panel that hides the computer. After finally breaking the panel trying to pull the plastic "screws" out, I got a look at the computer (extremely rusty). Now look, I'm a really small guy, but there is no way I will have room to maneuver around in that space to try to perform a new remove/replace without breaking something, or not getting things in the way they are supposed to be. I keep hearing people on this board talk about how easy this is supposed to be. Do y'all have trained miniature monkeys to climb around up there for you? I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not totally inept either. In the old days before cars had computers (yeah, I'm that old) I did all of the standard tune ups, oil changes, brake work, replacing starters, alternators, etc., so this isn't my first time to work on a car. I just think I'm in way over my head on this one. Someone please tell me that I'm not the only one who had trouble with this.:help:

Paul T. Casey
05-15-2003, 09:57 AM
There's info on this site that has photo's of how to do it. Looks pretty simple.

Paul T. Casey
05-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Go to "reviews" on top of page, then select Aftermarket chip installation." Logan did a great job here!

MAD-3R
05-15-2003, 10:21 AM
I wil admit that it was a pain, but wasn't imposable, and I am that big.

Did you say the computer was "Rusty?" If it was, then there maybe some leak, or something. The case of the computer is aluminum, and if it has rust on it it came from somewhere else. I would take it to the dealer, and if they ask why you were under there, tell them you saw a drip and was investigating it, and thats what you found.

Macon Marauder
05-15-2003, 11:04 AM
I'm 6' and 160 lbs (small for this site) and got under there easily after putting the driver's seat all the way back. :)
Chip install was a piece of cake using Logan's how to. Admittedly, the under dash part was harder than the under hood part.

martyo
05-15-2003, 11:41 AM
About $40.00, a mechanic smaller than me, and less than a half an hour, is all it took for me. If only everything were that simple!

Mikeenh
05-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Ross,
You got past the hard part. Getting the plastic out of the way. When you unbolt the module from under the hood, it falls out practically. The next hard part is putting the plastic back. The chip part is a piece of cake. Keep going....you're getting close. It's well worth the effort.

drobin
05-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Ross, you should have been a comedian, I'm still laughing at your comments and especially about the monkey... Man, its not difficult as you think, I do admit taking off the plastic panel under dash is difficult but you can do it. Read and re-read the instructions numerous times and print them and follow it page by page. Piece of cake man, so don't quit on us yet.... Let us know the outcome!

Do It Man,

Donald

drobin
05-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Ross, forgot to mention that I also noticed rusty componets but since this is raw metal, what can we expect.. I took a rag and soaked it lightly with oil and wiped down everthing I could reach... Rust did get any worse since then.....

Donald

JamesHecker
05-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Although the instructions were excellant and others here have done this, I would not even consider doing this myself. Mainly due to the pain in the ass factor of crawling under the dash.

My dealer's service writer is happy to have one of his techs do this for me...and I am quite happy to let him!

Bigdogjim
05-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Well at 6'6" guess I better leave it alone:alone: :mad2: :help:

LincMercLover
05-15-2003, 08:25 PM
FAQ section has the article.

CRUZTAKER
05-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Why is that EVERYONE breaks plastic or ruins the plastic trim clips???????

I don't get it!

There is a $4 tool out there (ANY parts store) to remove trim tabs guys. It's a forked screw driver, pulls them right out, and you can re-use them over and over.

:confused: again......this is not a difficult job...maybe getting the coating off the pins, but the EEC removal?????

Logan damn near includes a movie on this sight.......

And another thing....RUST? What rust? NOTHING SHOULD BE RUSTY INSIDE THE CAR! In fact, nothing should be rusty anywhere NEAR the EEC. WTF are you doing to your cars?

...rust...

oh my?

Ross
05-16-2003, 07:08 AM
Some responses/new questions----
James Hecker-- your dealer's service writer got one of his techs to put in your chip? did he say anything about voiding the warranty? no way you can keep Mercury from finding out about the chip now that it's in your service records. Maybe the warranty isn't voided if a dealer installs an aftermarket chip? What do the rest of y'all think about this?
Cruztaker-- yep, the outside of the computer box is rusty. like drobin says, it's bare steel, so in the Houston humidity, I guess I should expect some rust. I would have preferred an aluminum box that won't rust.
drobin--i should be a comedian? I'm a lawyer, which some people think is even funnier! (damn, now everyone will hate me on this board because I'm a lawyer!)

RF Overlord
05-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Ross:

Check your Private Messages...

MAD-3R
05-16-2003, 07:30 AM
Your not the only lawyer here, and we won't hold it agenst you. Well, not much. :lol:

SergntMac
05-17-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Ross
James Hecker-- your dealer's service writer got one of his techs to put in your chip? did he say anything about voiding the warranty? no way you can keep Mercury from finding out about the chip now that it's in your service records. Maybe the warranty isn't voided if a dealer installs an aftermarket chip? What do the rest of y'all think about this?

My LM dealer has installed each and every one of my mods, was that wrong?

JohnE
05-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Drop me a PM and I'll do it for you...

Might cost a beer

darebren
05-17-2003, 05:32 PM
I'd like to find a new ECU cover only?

schuvwj
05-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Dennis now has the capability to update your ECM without adding a chip!

Why would you want to buy a chip just have your ECM re-programmed.

FordNut
05-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Some reasons I can think of are... You cna have multiple programs on a chip with capability to switch between them and even switch the chip off; You have to remove the PCM and send it to Dennis for programming, leaving the car totally disabled until it comes back; If the dealer updates your PCM it will write over Dennis' program and require removal, re-shipment, and re-programming.