PDA

View Full Version : BIR open track event

jdando
08-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey Gang, borrowed this from the local SVT site.

Here are a few details:

Event Date: 9/18/06 (Monday)
Track: Brainerd International Raceway
Open to any/all car types. Must have a completed tech inspection, helmet etc. as is typical. Unlike some other groups that run up at BIR, we will have corner workers & a safety crew. Instruction & mentors for those that are new will also be made available. Safety is always #1. Please read carefully the information on the registration page as well.

More details to come. We are working on a special rate with a hotel in the area etc.

This is IMPORTANT:

With the relatively short time before the event, we must quickly get people registered. Cost for this event is $195 by check or $200 if paying via PayPal. We need at least 40 participants in order to make this happen. If we cannot get 40 paid in a short period of time, all money will be refunded with the exception of PayPal fees.

Register Now (http://www.rmarshall.com/ttmevent.html)

Thanks!

Todd Danielson
Track Time Motorsports, LLC
651-203-8009

I do not know Todd or Track Time, but will be talking to him in the coming weeks and will probably sign up for the event. About the only downside is that it is a MONDAY, but track time is track time and got the need, the need for speed:help:

jeremy

HAULNSS
08-07-2006, 06:46 AM
I have been to the Track Time Motorsports events and have even helped with them a little. Todd is probably the nicest guy you'll ever meet and makes sure that everyone has a safe, fun time with a ton of time on the track. 200-300 miles isn't unheard of. :D The event will be non-competitive and is considered a 'driving school' by many insurance companies. Therefore, your insurance should still be intact. (Check for sure if this concerns you. My car is covered - I checked ;) )

The event is geared for beginners and instructors are available. Do not be intimidated by your skill or your car. We have had Caprice wagons, Impala's, Honda Civic's, Mustangs, Vettes, Camaro's, BMW's, etc. Remember, the straight at BIR is nearly one mile long......:banana2:

My Impala should be up there for the event, as I really like BIR. It doesn't seem too hard on brakes or tires, if you drive smooth. Trust me, the big cars command respect on the track. When I started this a few years ago, my car was stock and it was still impressing many of the 'sports car' guys.

Give Todd a call with any questions and get signed up soon! There needs to be a committment of drivers to make sure the event is a go.

I hope to see some Marauders at the track!

Randy

HAULNSS
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Did you sign up for the event yet, Jeremy? We need more 4 doors! :D

It looks like we'll have a nicely prepped Mark 8 and a Caprice Wagon, too. :banana2: It makes for some different cars to ride in and run with.

There is a Ford GT showing interest, also. :awe:

Randy

jdando
08-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey Randy;

I am about a day or two from signing up. Just need to verify I will be in town:rolleyes:

Where are the rest of you TC Marauders? Mike, Bruce, Jevon, others?? Someone else needs to represent with me!

Should be big fun!!!

jeremy

GarageMahal
08-15-2006, 08:08 PM
I am still a maybe... vacation time is getting tight but I love the Brainard area so I am trying.

VNMUS
08-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Where are the rest of you TC Marauders? Mike, Bruce, Jevon, others?? Someone else needs to represent with me!

Should be big fun!!!

jeremy
Sounds like it might be fun. Not sure if I should take the MM or the CSVT!

jimlam56
08-22-2006, 04:37 PM
This sounds very similar to the SVT event some of us participated in at Sebring this past April.
I definitely got bitten by the racing bug!
It's a blast to throw our big cars around curves, and then nail it on the straights.
Any of you close enough to participate in this event, should jump on the chance.
You won't regret it, but be prepared to open some eyes of the Mustang crowd. They couldn't believe some of our supercharged MM's capabilities (of which I was unfortanately not one), but Shakes and Hotrauder stayed with them!
We had 5 MM's at Sebring, let's see if you MN boys can outdo us (pics please)

jdando
08-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Finally got my work schedule under "control"., so I am registered and paid!

Jevon, Bruce, Ellis, Interna, come spend a Monday up in Brainerd!

jeremy

GarageMahal
08-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Finally got my work schedule under "control"., so I am registered and paid!

Jevon, Bruce, Ellis, Interna, come spend a Monday up in Brainerd!

jeremy

I have a tentative plan to attend. Are you spending Sunday night in Brainard?

jta

Hotrauder
08-27-2006, 06:58 PM
If you can do this...DO IT! For those of you who can this it will be second in fun only to MVIV of all the Marauder activities of the year. I promise. This will be a high speed blast. Dennis:2thumbs:

HAULNSS
08-31-2006, 06:26 AM
Here is the list of cars so far. We are expecting some exotics and possibly a Ford GT to sign up, too. :banana2:

Ray K. ************** 2004 Mustang GT, paid
Tamara M. *********** 1991 Firebird Formula, paid
Bob G. ************** 2000 Trans Am WS6 Convertible
Rick T. ************* 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra, paid
Matt C. ************* 2005 Evo, paid
Craig N. ************ 1995 Firehawk Convertible, paid
Kenneth K. *********** 2004 M3, paid
Jim D. ************** 2002 Corvette Z06, paid
Todd B. ************* 1996 Trans Am WS6, paid
Dwight A. ************ 2004 GTO, paid
Eric A. ************** 1985 Z28, paid
Brian E. ************* 2002 Corvette Z06, paid
Scot G. ************* 1994 Mustang GT, paid
Steve M. ************ 1992 Mustang, paid
Bruce G. ************* 1998 Z28
Randy A. ************* 1995 Impala SS, paid
Chris W. ************* 1999 Corvette, paid
Dave W. ************* 1997 Eclipse, paid
Frank S. ************* 1998 Mark VIII
Jeff R. ************** 2006 Cobalt SS, paid
Gary W. ************* 1994 Z28, paid
Rick M. ************** 2004 Mustang Cobra
Christopher H. ********* 1995 Civic EX, paid
Ken O. ************** 2001 M Roadster, paid
Jeremy D. ************ 2003 Marauder, paid
Scott L. ************* 2001 Saleen S281SC
Randy P. ************* 2003 Cobra
Dan E. ************** 1998 Cobra
Ryan G. ************* 2006 Evo IX MR, paid

:D

Randy

Edit -- Oh yeah some teaser pics for those who aren't familiar with BIR. Hmmmm.....look at that straight.

Large picture of the track (http://www.nordstern.org/Tracks/BIR/bir_large.gif)

http://www.trackaddix.com/images/picts/tracks/Brainerd_map.gif

http://www.trackaddix.com/images/picts/tracks/Brainerd_airial.jpg

HAULNSS
09-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Ray K. ************** 2004 Mustang GT, paid
Tamara M. *********** 1991 Firebird Formula, paid
Bob G. ************** 2000 Trans Am WS6 Convertible
Rick T. ************* 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra, paid
Matt C. ************* 2005 Evo, paid
Craig N. ************ 1995 Firehawk Convertible, paid
Kenneth K. *********** 2004 M3, paid
Jim D. ************** 2002 Corvette Z06, paid
Todd B. ************* 1996 Trans Am WS6, paid
Dwight A. ************ 2004 GTO, paid
Eric A. ************** 1985 Z28, paid
Brian E. ************* 2002 Corvette Z06, paid
Scot G. ************* 1994 Mustang GT, paid
Steve M. ************ 1992 Mustang, paid
Bruce G. ************* 1998 Z28
Randy A. ************* 1995 Impala SS, paid :D
Chris W. ************* 1999 Corvette, paid
Dave W. ************* 1997 Eclipse, paid
Frank S. ************* 1998 Mark VIII, paid
Jeff R. ************** 2006 Cobalt SS, paid
Gary W. ************* 1994 Z28, paid
Rick M. ************** 2004 Mustang Cobra
Christopher H. ********* 1995 Civic EX, paid
Ken O. ************** 2001 M Roadster, paid
Jeremy D. ************ 2003 Marauder, paid ;)
Scott L. ************* 2001 Saleen S281SC
Randy P. ************* 2003 Cobra, paid
Dan E. ************** 1998 Cobra
Ryan G. ************* 2006 Evo IX MR, paid
Mark B. ************* 1994 Taurus SHO
Dwayne C. *********** 2005 Lotus Elise, paid
Eric J. ************** 1987 Corolla FX16 GTS, paid
Nathan D. *********** 2000 911 Carrera, paid
Robert J. ************ 2004 Mini-Cooper S
Pat E. *************** 1999 Camaro SS, paid
Keith A. ************* 1970 El Camino SS :bows:
Jason S. ************* 1995 Caprice Wagon :cool:

shakes_26
09-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Front straight? Pshaaaw. How about that straight-turn 1-straight- turn 2-straight combo, looks like you hold those nearly flat out, that is where I would hold my breath! Nothing like running out fo track at 120mph.... "oh blessed mother of traction dont fail me now..."

jdando
09-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Front straight? Pshaaaw. How about that straight-turn 1-straight- turn 2-straight combo, looks like you hold those nearly flat out, that is where I would hold my breath! Nothing like running out fo track at 120mph.... "oh blessed mother of traction dont fail me now..."

Exactly! Turn one is banked 120 mph is okay. The banking levels out and turn two if flat:eek:. That gets your attention as you begin drifting out at 100+ mph, no need for me to prove anything there.

Turns 6-9 are nice for the MM and you can get a rthymn going.

jeremy

jdando
09-17-2006, 05:36 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/1/0/2/schoolsuppliessml.jpg

Got my school supplies. The weather is going to be cool with chance of rain:mad:

My plan is to work on consistency of braking points and turn ins. Should be lots of fun, a wide variety of cars will be there.

jeremy

crouse
09-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Have fun and be safe. The cool weather should make for good horsepower. Hope the rain holds off. Can't wait for the update when your back.

Good luck,
Curt

jdando
09-18-2006, 12:10 PM
:(

We got rained out. I am really bummed out, but it was the correct decision. Brainerd is not a rain friendly track, we had rain and standing water in two braking zones.

We were up there with Donnybrooke and they had many beginners and cars without rain tires.

The good news is that we have a "rain check" to go up on any of Donnybrooke's 2006/2007 dates.

I am really bummed, but it is the correct decision and we all get to drive home in the cars we brought to the track.

jeremy

crouse
09-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Did you get to run at all or did it rain the entire time you were there?

Curt

HAULNSS
09-19-2006, 10:38 AM
It was still raining at 2:45pm when we left. :(

I agree, it was the right decision. BIR is too much fun dry to compromise the day and run it wet. I have been on the drag strip when it was wet and it was every bit as slick as the safety crew and instructors were explaining. :eek:

The saving part is the one year rain check. Not too many events will give a 100% raincheck. Heck, even the hotel manager is going to try and get some better 'rain day' discounts for the next event. A lot of people went out of their way to make sure the event was safe and fun. If it isn't safe, it isn't fun.

I guess this is a testament to the "safety first" events that TTM and Donnybrooke run. Many people would have been glad to take our money or given no refunds at all. :cool4: That should help the beginners with any butterflies about signing up with TTM for an open track event.

Make note......
They had a tentative date of October 2nd planned before we even left the track. Once that date is in stone, there will be another announcement. :banana2:

I was really looking forward to watching jdando pass me, too! :bows: Man, what a nice ride. Actually, there was a lot of really nice cars up there that would make the spectating really fun. RUF Porsche, Lotus, C6 Z06, Ultima GTR, etc. Hopefully, they will all be there when I go back up.

Oh well, I still had fun talking cars, getting some classroom instruction, and just hanging out with a bunch of gearheads. Heck, we tried to salvage the day by spending some time at the hotel water park and hot tub after the track day was cancelled. :D

Keep your eyes peeled for another date this fall. (I have already taken the 2nd off, if needed.)

Thanks again for coming up Jeremy. We need to get on the track together sometime!

Randy

shakes_26
09-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Sorry to hear you guys got soaked out. Sound slike you managed to salvage it into a fairly good time anyway!

I'm comfortable enoguh now to run my car in the rain, heck I did it in an open wheel car at Road America at some pretty good speeds, but then again I selected the full collision damage waiver!!!!

:)

HAULNSS
09-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear you guys got soaked out. Sound slike you managed to salvage it into a fairly good time anyway!

I'm comfortable enoguh now to run my car in the rain, heck I did it in an open wheel car at Road America at some pretty good speeds, but then again I selected the full collision damage waiver!!!!

:)

Yeah, it does suck a little. I'd like to run in the rain sometime, but just not at BIR. The long front straight is also the drag strip and it is literally laser flat so there is no water run off. Add some VHT traction compound from a prior drag event, put some rain in the mix, and it becomes very slick. Any mishap on the straight will involve a cement barrier. There is no 'runoff' on the drag strip.

I have been on the track when it was damp with my Impala, and it broke loose much, much easier than I expected. If it was a different track like MAM, then I'd like to try the wet driving there.

These events are considered driving schools with no timing or competitive nature. Therefore, many insurance companies will still carry your coverage. Once it is timed or competitive, insurance is null and void. With that in mind, I still didn't want to be they guy to test it out.

October 2nd should give us some nice, cold, dry, air. I'd love to run with the heat on! :D

Randy

HAULNSS
09-26-2006, 01:50 PM
New track date is Monday, October 2nd.

More info - click here (http://www.rmarshall.com/ttmevent.html)

jdando
09-26-2006, 07:29 PM
I will be in OKC :(

jeremy