PDA

View Full Version : Stock Brakes Discussion.

Zack
08-08-2006, 08:03 AM
As you may or may not know, I recently picked up a 2nd MM.
The stock brakes suck, big time. I am convinced I can make them better with minimal money.
I plan on turning the rotors and installing Napa Ceramix Pads.
I will leave the stock brake lines, but bleed the brakes.
If this does not give the desired braking, Im going inside the caliper to figure out the flaw.

Results probably by next weekend.

KillJoy
08-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Those NAPA Pads have some bite to them. I used to have them on my Eagle Talon w/ NAPA Rotors as well. Very good for the $$$.

KillJoy

Breadfan
08-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks Zack!

Aside from a bleed, maybe a flush would help too. The old fluid may have plenty of moisture caught up in it.

Also, was there ever a consensus on if MM's have the plastic or metal caliper pistons?

As you can tell, I've not changed my pads yet...but planning to in the next few weeks.

Anyway I'll hit up the search for my answer to questions #2...

O's Fan Rich
08-08-2006, 08:21 AM
www.powerslot.com ?
Anyone check out their cryo rotors?

MM03MOK
08-08-2006, 08:32 AM
www.powerslot.com (http://www.powerslot.com) ?
Anyone check out their cryo rotors?Got the Power Slots on the rear from Wes.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=158521

STLR FN
08-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I haven't searched this yet but will the Cobra pads and calipers work on our cars. I was having a discussion about this with guys from work and we didn't come to an answer. Actually we didn't know.

SergntMac
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Also, was there ever a consensus on if MM's have the plastic or metal caliper pistons? I've had my brake calipers off and disassembled for refinishing. Front and rear, never found anything plastic. Can't say what the pistons are made of, but it's some kind of metal for sure. Copper? Brass? Steel? Pick one...

Breadfan
08-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I've had my brake calipers off and disassembled for refinishing. Front and rear, never found anything plastic. Can't say what the pistons are made of, but it's some kind of metal for sure. Copper? Brass? Steel? Pick one...

OK, I'm pretty sure they are metal, the CVPI's had plastic atleast in the rear (some not all...).

I think the confusion may be sparked from the aftermarket where some reported getting plastic pistoned calipers from parts stores - there may be two PN#'s out there....

DPVLN
08-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Possibly a ceramic material which in therory is designed to prevent pits and inclusions in the caliper pistons.

DEFYANT
08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
I have my OEM rotors and calipers laying around. Let me know if you need them.

thePunisher
08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
i always thought the pistons were phenolic material.....let us know how you make out zack...but imo... you cant polish a turd!! i can tell you the flaw right now.....big car..... little brakes ....poor performance

MENINBLK
08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
As you may or may not know, I recently picked up a 2nd MM.
The stock brakes suck, big time. I am convinced I can make them better with minimal money.
I plan on turning the rotors and installing Napa Ceramix Pads.
I will leave the stock brake lines, but bleed the brakes.
If this does not give the desired braking, Im going inside the caliper to figure out the flaw.

Results probably by next weekend.

I thought that Marauders had 4 piston front calipers ?
Maybe the previous owner took his car to Meineke for brake pads ???

LVMarauder
08-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I have the cryo rotors and hawk HPS pads up front. Probably what you are looking for as well, pads def bite better, rotors havent warped as advertised and I get comments on the slotted look. Good improvement over stock.

DarthMarauder
08-08-2006, 03:03 PM
I thought that Marauders had 4 piston front calipers ?
Maybe the previous owner took his car to Meineke for brake pads ???
They are 2 piston calipers that come stock on the front. And single piston rears. I put some cheap ebay rotors and some Hawk HPS pads on mine and have felt way better than stock have about 8000 miles on them and still bite hard.
http://sinnerslair.com/car/Picture%20080.jpg
http://sinnerslair.com/car/Picture%20081.jpg
Think I only spent about 350 on all four maybe less would have to find my reciept. I know you get what you pay for on the ebay rotors but they are just as beefy as stock like the looks of the drilled and slotted and if they crack they are cheap enough I will just get another set. But 8000 miles and they still look new and I'm pretty hard on them.