PDA

View Full Version : suspension questions

playbackreks
08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I'd like to get rid of that floaty feeling on the highway, but I honestly don't know much about suspension mods. I'm not sure if I need to install better control arms or if my suspension is wearing out.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated...

-Daniel

MM2004
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd like to get rid of that floaty feeling on the highway, but I honestly don't know much about suspension mods. I'm not sure if I need to install better control arms or if my suspension is wearing out.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated...

-Daniel

Floaty feeling? Mine rides choppy w/~14,800 miles on the clock.

How many miles on yours?

Shocks? New tires? Sway bars and control arms on mine did not effect the ride, IMHO.

Mike.

playbackreks
08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
32k, brand new stock tires, no idea if shocks have already been changed or not...

RF Overlord
08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
New control arms (preferably Z&M) will definitely improve the handling, but really have no effect on the ride. If you have a "floaty" ride, you have worn shocks, bad sway bar bushings (or end links), or tires that are seriously under-inflated.

Drock96Marquis
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
New control arms (preferably Z&M) will definitely improve the handling, but really have no effect on the ride. If you have a "floaty" ride, you have worn shocks, bad sway bar bushings (or end links), or tires that are seriously under-inflated.

+1

First check: tire pressure.

stryker
08-08-2006, 10:00 PM
:cool: !Hmmmmm! Strange from a Marauder, I am not a Mechanical pro but if if was my case I will start to inspect the shocks if they have some leaks if is happening change it for Motorcraft Police ones then check the springs remember that civilian springs are softer than the Police ones but in your case your Panther has rear air springs but you can get the Limousine heavy duty airsprings from ARNOTT and the front ones change for NN/NUL Police springs, Other factor can be the rear swaybar endlinks and swaybars if that is the case get Addco swaybars and Energy suspension end links, About the Control arms I can't tell you which are better if the Z&M or the METCO but I was doing a search and I see the METCO more beefer than the Z&M and more good looking, Tires? check the pressure and the condition of wear. all this parts work in conjunction in my personal case my "M" Panther has rear coil springs so will change the front/rear springs,Police shocks,heavy swaybars & end links, well do a strict inspaction and replace worn or soon to worn parts your Marauder deserve it. :2thumbs:

STRYKER.

Drock96Marquis
08-08-2006, 10:35 PM
then check the springs remember that civilian springs are softer than the Police ones but in your case your Panther has rear air springs but you can get the Limousine heavy duty airsprings from ARNOTT

FYI, Marauder rear air-springs are the same as the Town Car Limo/Livery (99+) air-springs. THey are the higher rate HPP springs. Arnott sells a new air-spring with an aluminum piston, however apparently the spring rate is exactly the same as the regular plasti-piston HPP springs. All of Arnott's panther RAS springs are the HPP variety/rate.

B.C. Bake
08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
If anything mine's real choppy at high speeds, keeeps me allert one wrong move I'm off the road!! Ok, I did put Metco control arms on but I don't think that did that much "real good at high speed cornering though". One more thing I have 7000 on the clock so mabe later might be floaty? But I haven't herd of this porblem before?:dunno:

BruteForce
08-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Metco Upper/Lower Rear Control Arms, Metco Watts Link, AddCo Solid Steel Front & Rear Sway Bars, and NAAKE Q1A Coil-Over Shocks on all four corners. No "floaty". No choppy. Flat as a rail at all speeds. Scary fast in the twisties.

JACook
08-08-2006, 11:51 PM
42K miles on the clock, completely stock suspension and tires. Driven... enthusiastically. :)
No float whatsoever. If your MM floats, there's something wrong with it, or as others have suggested, low tire pressures.

playbackreks
08-09-2006, 02:33 AM
DOH!

I think it may be my front driver's side tire. Thanks for the help everyone...

What kind of improvement would I get from the control arms?

fastblackmerc
08-09-2006, 03:07 AM
I'd recommend the Addco front & rear sway bars and either the M&Z or Metco control arms (I have the Metco's on mine). You'll have superior handleing thru the twisties with no noticeable difference on the straights.

magindat
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
The 'floaty' feeling is because the short travel area of the shock is shot. The shock is no longer dampening the slight up and down movements caused by wavy pavement.

If you want to spend, get the naake's. If you don't, get the monroes from reinhart. You'll be right for about 100 bucks plus install yourself or at your favorite shock shop.

Get your ride right before spending on all mentioned above. They improve HANDLING, not RIDE.

Good luck.
Rich