PDA

View Full Version : What will a clogged cat do?

Motorhead350
08-10-2006, 11:24 PM
This will be the last question I assure you for my ill Marauder. Mac told me my cats might be clogged and could be the answer to my problem. I have heard stories like this before. Could clogged cats be the reason for my car not running well or does it have to me more than that for bad compression? Keep in mind Mac and I didn't know what the problem was when he made this suggestion... all we knew was it ran rough. So again could simply changing the cats magically fix this?

JACook
08-10-2006, 11:36 PM
If it's really low compression, clogged cats aren't causing it. With clogged cats, the cylinders will show
good compression, but none of the cylinders on the bank with the clogged cat will make any power.
(One of the many problems I had to sort out on my first ex-Windstar...)

If there's any doubt, pull the front O2 sensors while doing the compression test.
Better still, do a leakdown test.

Motorhead350
08-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks for your info. Man do I miss driving this car.... BIG TIME. :bigcry: :banghead:

RoyLPita
08-11-2006, 07:53 AM
I've had clogged cats one time. I could not go over 1500 RPM.

fastblackmerc
08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
The cats could very well be clogged from your diesel fuel adventure. Found this on the internet:

"When catalytic converters fail they normally clog up with debris and block the flow of exhaust gas from getting out of the system. this causes extreme performance problems. In the extreme cases it will even prevent the car from starting at all. Most of the time it acts like a governor and limits the engine RPM to a fast idle. So how do you check a catalytic converter without removing it from the car??

You can do a vacuum check at idle and then at 1500 RPM. If the vacuum is say 21 inches at idle and like 15 inches at 1500 then the cat is likely clogged. In a carbureted car you can remove the air cleaner and have someone hold a strong light near the intake of the carb. Then look across the top of the carb into the light and rev it up. If you see a cloud of fuel vapor pumping up and down sort of hovering over the carb then the cat is likely plugged.

Next, remove the oxygen sensor and start it up. The hole where the oxygen sensor was will relieve the back pressure and it should run a tad better. If so, then disconnect the exhaust pipe at the exhaust manifold and try it again. If it is a clogged cat it will scream like a banchee and rev up to its normal 4000 rpm."

You also might try one of these:

http://www.autobarn.net/chcat-1.html

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2000760/p-2000760/N-111+10201+600001132/c-10101

STLR FN
08-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I thought a clogged cat would run around the house hackin and what not till a ball of fur comes 'flying' out. :lol:

On topic at hand, a clogged cat will also in some cases glow cherry red. Ask me how I know.

magindat
08-11-2006, 11:46 AM
A clogged cat won't use the litterbox.

O's Fan Rich
08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
something like this?

alarmguy
08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
When my cat is clogged it eventually hacks up a huge hairball, always on the carpet, not on the kitchen vinyl floor.

JACook
08-11-2006, 02:46 PM
something like this?
Bill the Cat is one of my all-time favorites! :)

ckadiddle
08-11-2006, 04:56 PM
My wife is a nurse. She says a clogged cat will dig and squat, dig and squat. She recommends feeding the cat two teaspoons of Vaseline and calling the vet in the morning. ;)

MarauderMike
08-11-2006, 05:04 PM
A friend of mine once filled up his SHO at a Mobil station with what was suppose to be Premium fuel, it turned out the tanker truck had filled the Preium tank with diesel. Mobil paid for the replacement of the Cats, fuel injectors and fuel filter. A nightmare for sure but at least they were up front and made good on their error.

As has been mentioned a clogged cat usually results in little to no power and speed and may well result in a cherry red glow of the cat. Good luck on getting the problem worked out.

1madmarauder
08-11-2006, 07:39 PM
motorhead, i would definatly look in to cats as a problem. the kerosene ran through makes the inside if the pipe "coated" with a thick sticky black paste. take a peak inside of a kerosene torpedo heater like for the garage. sorry if i offended, i was only trying to help and maybe poke some fun man!

Motorhead350
08-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Well hey this stuff happens. Could have been worse... I could have blown the engine or totalled the car, but I didn't. This can be fixed. The trick is to race, break and rebuild. Or in my case race, ruin and learn. Also when this engine is rebuilt or replaced it'll be ready for my blower and not be a question if it's a stupid thing to do like I was planning to at 100,000 miles. I know what I just said is redundant, but I actually see benefit in my mistake.