PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid levels?

jrzygrl
05-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Took my car for a "second opinion" to a local L/M dealership on some matters involving the first dealership. At that time they said they had to add a quart of trans fluid. It had less than 2000
miles on it? How often do you check your trans fluid level? Every fill up like the oil? I always had it checked on my other vehicles at every oil change. Thanks........

LincMercLover
05-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Mine was about 1/2 quart low when purchased. I noticed the OD was a bit sluggish, so I checked on the fluid level and low and behold, she was low. A quart for these transmissions though is a lot! Newer cars, if the level is right below the line, you can bring it back up with a half a quart or less. Older cars, if it was in the same place, it could take that whole quart. My point being... add slowly to a warm transmission. Drive around the block, go back home, do that parking/shifting proceedure, and check again. Too much transmission fluid is just as bad as too little.

JamesHecker
05-17-2003, 10:29 AM
I complained of slugish shifts to the dealer after I bought mine.

They added fluid which improved the situation.

jrzygrl
05-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Maybe I'm off a little on the amount, but, the service tech did make a point to tell me about it. I just want to keep the level where it should be, never checked my other vehicles that frequently, but, guess I'll check like the oil just to be safe....I thought it was odd so soon, car was produced, shipped and I picked it up..I WONDER? Did the guy who took the car home maybe run it a bit hard?? By the way LML coming your way later today..will be at St. Joes state park for the National Enduro.

looking97233
05-19-2003, 02:59 AM
One of the thing the dealer is suppose to check during the PDI is trans level. Just like all the other things they are supposed to check, they usually don't.