PDA

View Full Version : More transmission problems

Topher
05-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Well, Saturday at Union Grove was fun until it was time to go home. I started the car, put it in gear, & gave it some gas. The car barely moved, started to shutter & the engine sounded bogged down & almost died. Turned it off, tried again, same thing. Engine idled ok in park or neutral, but as soon as I put it in any gear, D, 2, 1, R, same thing- seemed like the torque converter was locked up or something, putting a heavy load on the engine & not wanting to move. O/D light on dash flashed & check engine light came on. We even tried disconnecting the battery for 10 min, hoping it was a computer glitch. But no luck-same thing happened & dash lights came back on.
The car only has 1200 miles on it & did not even race. It just sat in the parking lot all afternoon. It drove fine all the way there so I have no idea what could happen just sitting in the lot. Sadly, the car left on a flatbed & was taken 30 miles to my purchasing dealer in Gurnee. I'll have to go in there bright & early Monday morning & have a talk with the service manager. I am not too happy right now. Not much sleep last night. :mad: :mad2: :mad:

Any thoughts?

Chris

MMM2003
05-18-2003, 07:31 AM
Chris,

glad to hear you made it home. I'm sure everything will work out!

Gotta run !

Peter

RF Overlord
05-18-2003, 07:33 AM
Damn, Chris...

Hopefully it'll be the "chafed wire syndrome" others have experienced...read the threads on "check your cars" and "check your wiring harness", etc...

WolfeBros
05-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Sounds like the same symptoms others have had with the chaffed wiring harness.

jgc61sr2002
05-18-2003, 03:34 PM
What Wolfe said ^^^^^ John:(

Topher
05-18-2003, 03:57 PM
I went back to the dealer this afternoon to check on it, and to check the wiring harness referenced. The wiring on my car was wrapped with a shrinkwrap tape in that area and had a factory label over it, although it looked like the label already had a cut in it from the stamped metal bracket above. Didn't look like it got through the tape though. I'll make sure to point that out tomorrow. Hopefully with the dash lights on there was a meaningful trouble code stored & they'll be able to quickly diagnose it.

Chris

mad man
05-18-2003, 05:13 PM
SORRY TO HERE ABOUT YOUR CAR. :( LET US KNOW WHAT IT WAS MINE TURNED 1150 MILES TODAY

Topher
05-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Good news. Just got off the phone with the dealer. They said it looks like a wiring/electrical issue, not a mechanical failure with the trans. They haven't isolated it yet- apparently the computer threw out about 10 different trouble codes, and they are searching for a common denominator. At least they don't have to drop the tranny for an internal inspection. :banana:

On another note regarding roadside assistance, even though I didn't call them prior to my tow (there was a flatbed service onsite at the track so I didn't feel like waiting for a "ford approved" service to arrive), they said as long as it was transported less than 35 miles it's ok it wasn't taken to the nearest dealership, & I should get fully reimbursed. I could have just submitted it to my auto insurance, but Ford really needs to pay for their quality mistakes.

Chris

RCSignals
05-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Well, that is why they have Roadside assistance

MMM2003
05-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Topher,

Glad to hear it's "only" an electrical issue and that those error codes stayed in memory (after disconnecting the battery).

Be sure to have the Dealer at least get you a free oil change or gift certificate for a Dinner, or such, for your inconvenience !

SergntMac
05-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Whew! Close call, eh Topher? I mean, just being at a race track with your MM could have voided your warranty!

Man-oh-man, close call, eh?

TripleTransAm
05-19-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Topher
They said it looks like a wiring/electrical issue, not a mechanical failure with the trans.

I smell a wiring harness issue.......

(do a search for harness and you'll see why)

Topher
05-20-2003, 03:08 PM
I spoke too soon. Just talked with the dealer & the car runs fine now but the exact source of the wiring problem hasn't been found yet. They checked both locations mentioned here- drivers side up by brake fluid reservoir & passenger side just in front of tranny dipstick, with no trouble found. So they want to drop the transmission tomorrow to check the rest of the wiring that is routed between the transmission & the floor. They said that is the only way to access it.
I was hoping they wouldn't have to do this. From my past car experiences, after a major teardown was done suspiciously related problems started occuring... But I guess I'd rather they pinpoint the failure location instead of waiting for it to happen again. One flatbed ride per car is enough.

LincMercLover
05-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey, while they got it down, throw in that TC! ;)

jgc61sr2002
05-20-2003, 04:23 PM
topher - I hope the dealer is able to remedy the problem and have you back on the road shortly. Keep us posted. Thanks John:(

Topher
05-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Still not done!!!! Apparently the root source of the electrical issue hasn't been identified yet. Service advisor didn't know if trans was dropped today or not, but said the tech was on the phone with L/M 2x today to get their input. Looks like I'm going back in there tomorrow morning to see what is going on. I'm starting to have withdrawl symptoms......the garage feels so empty........

engine23ccvfd
05-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Topher what did they give you for a loaner?

Topher
05-21-2003, 07:03 PM
That's funny- I wasn't even offered one. I've been driving my S-10 so I don't really need one, but on Monday when I first went in there, they didn't even ask if I needed a loaner, or even a ride in their "courtesy shuttle". This will be brought to their attention when I go back in the morning, along with my sentiment that if they can't find the problem within the wiring harness, replace the whole :censor: thing & give me my car back.

TripleTransAm
05-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Topher
replace the whole :censor: thing & give me my car back.

Print out the various threads concerning electrical problems found by our members and bring it with you. This might lend a sense of urgency to the problem, seeing as how it is not an isolated incident.

Topher
05-21-2003, 07:17 PM
I've already brought them pictures posted here regarding the areas fellow owners have had problems with. They say they've checked those areas with no trouble found. I need to talk to the mechanic in the morning & not the service advisor front man to get the real scoop of what has & hasn't been done.

engine23ccvfd
05-22-2003, 05:24 AM
Topher make them give you a loaner....no need to put extra miles on your other POV....plus loaner/rentals are fun to dog even if it is a Taurus/Sable

RF Overlord
05-22-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by engine23ccvfd
plus loaner/rentals are fun to dog even if it is a Taurus/Sable

DO NOT DIS THE ALMIGHTY SABLE, OR YOU RISK BRINGING FLOODS, PESTILENCE, AND PLAGUES OF LOCUSTS UPON US ALL!!!

:bows:

Do not listen to the blasphemous one, for he knoweth not whereof he speaks...

WolfeBros
05-22-2003, 07:22 AM
:bows: Sable

TAF
05-22-2003, 07:25 AM
I made fun of the Sable....40 days and 40 nights ago....and we are washing away....

But, of course, they DID implement the ATL "Water-Restictions" last night on the news.....bastages!

prchrman
05-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Sable: black clothing worn in mourning...

Topher
05-22-2003, 08:18 PM
My car is finally back home in the garage. :banana:
Went in this morning & talked to the mechanic for about 20 minutes. He took me out to the car & showed me the different harnesses & areas he was checking, but still no smoking gun to point to at that time. Didn't have to drop the trans either, just the pan. Dealer left a voicemail around noon to say it was done. According to the invoice, it looks like the culprit was eventually found- 2 wires pulled out of their terminals. Below is the invoice description. For anyone who has access to the trouble code definitions or wiring schematics & feels like looking them up, I'd be curious to know the codes referenced & which wiring harness had the loose terminals. I haven't yet purchased the shop manual, but seems like it coud be nice fathers day gift to myself. :D

ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION TEST, EEC TEST, PIN POINT TEST, CODE P0135, P0155, P0403, P0443, P0741, P0743, P0755, P0758, P1747, & P1760, HAS OPEN WIRE CIRCUIT. REMOVED TRANSMISSION PAN, INSPECTED WIRING, ALL OKAY, LIGHTS STILL ON, DETERMINED CAUSE OF LIGHT IS LOSS OF POWER ON RD/WIRE CK 391, INSPECTED ALL HARNESSES FOR SHORTS, CALLED TECH HOT LINE REP.#3EUF2009 SUGGESTED REPAIRING SPLICE S146, STARTED CAR WIGGLED HARNESSES BY C1026 MADE O/D LIGHT FLASH. DISCONNECTED C1026 FOUND RD/Y WIRE PULLED OUT OF TERMINAL CAUSING CONCERN. REPAIRED WIRE FIXED ALL CONCERNS.

stevengerard
09-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Wow, 13 year old thread brought back to life.

I am occasionally getting a P0741 code. The OD light blinks off and on - only when I ham driving at 75 mph + for an extended period of time. If I pull over and shut the car off, as soon as I start the car the OD light is fine for another 20 - 30 minutes. If i am under 70mph even for an extended period of time the OD never blinks. From research it seems as if this is an electrical error and not a clutch slipping as described above - anyone else have experience with this?

from https://www.obd-codes.com/p0741

Causes of this DTC may include: Wiring harness to transmission shorted to ground Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid internal short Transmission control module (TCM)

03BlackWindDOHC
09-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Wow, 13 year old thread brought back to life.

I am occasionally getting a P0741 code. The OD light blinks off and on - only when I ham driving at 75 mph + for an extended period of time. If I pull over and shut the car off, as soon as I start the car the OD light is fine for another 20 - 30 minutes. If i am under 70mph even for an extended period of time the OD never blinks. From research it seems as if this is an electrical error and not a clutch slipping as described above - anyone else have experience with this?

from https://www.obd-codes.com/p0741

Causes of this DTC may include: Wiring harness to transmission shorted to ground Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid internal short Transmission control module (TCM)

I experienced this just today. It happens once every month or so. Only had my Marauder for about 3 to 4 months. Haven't had it checked out yet. Several cats told me it's not a big deal. My EATC is messed up and only blows on high and sometimes changes to defrost on its own. It seems to happen only when the EATC gets tricky.