PDA

View Full Version : 1965 merc

hotmerc65
08-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I have a 1965 mercury parklane marauder. I joined up so maybe I could find someone else with a older merc. I am currrently rebuilding the 300hp 390 that was factory. It's a 2 door hardtop all factory. Next is new paint. If you know some helpful hint on a old merc or own one I would love to talk. Thanks:rolleyes:

stanchfi
08-31-2006, 03:03 PM
I have a bunch of older merc info on my site
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~stanchfi/monterey.html

you might also want to check out
http://www.mercurymarauder.org where a few more "classic" marauder owners hang out

-James

LiLWrink
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Two early marauders live in Mckinney, and two of us live in Van Alstyne... we should start a get together for vintage rides!

Marshall is a nice cruise with the wife for weekend trips...nice town!

Welcome!

Breadfan
09-27-2006, 10:07 AM
My dad bought a '65 Park Lane just this July. We finished up donig some minor work on it to pass VA inspection, it's ready to go he just hasn't yet had a chance to take it back for inspection.

I did find him this place (http://www.macsautoparts.com/) which has alot of replacement parts. One thing we picked up was a new air cleaner decal so we can refinish it. Speaking of that - what color is your air cleaner and valve covers? Ours are orange - is that the OEM color for them?

Here's some pics: http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/oldmm01.html

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/100_0395017.jpg

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/100_0406028.jpg

If you want any specifics on doing work on it let me know, we're not rebuilding the whole thing but as with any old car it's going to need work.

We replaced all the steering components between the tires and steering box, one major thing to know there is the bracket that holds the steering linkage idler arm has been redesigned. So you must remove the old one - the bolts holding it on do not go through the entire frame and the way they are designed once you break them loose whatever holds the nuts inside the frames comes loose and you cannot get the bolts out. If there is a way I'd like to know, I could not find a way so we had to cut them - a less than desirable solution but it worked.

Also we had a problem with the defroster not working, it was a vacuum line issue - a tad confusing to trace the vacuum lines to get all the doors in the HVAC system to function properly.

I recommend if you don't have it that you go to Amazon or Ebay and search for a Ford 1965 Full Size car shop manual. We got one off Ebay for about $10 is good shape and it's been a valuable tool.

Here's one for reference: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Factory-Ford-Mercury-Shop-Service-Manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcateg oryZ34221QQihZ009QQitemZ190035 411803QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You can also buy reproductions of the same thing of Amazon.com for about $45.

LordVader
09-27-2006, 11:01 AM
:hijack: :) Breadfan,

Good taste must run in your family! Both cars are beautiful. All dad has to do is get a little blower of his own!

LiLWrink
10-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Hello? HotMerc?

Man, that is a tease!

Just pop in, say your local, then just discapear...

whazzup wit tat?

We cruise to Marshall a couple of times a year, and there are things going on close enough for you to be involved in...

I am the present vintage guy with the Marauder club, all the other guys have late model Marauders, and I need your support to level this group out!
:lol:
If you knew this group, you be laughing!

Breadfan--thats a great looking 65!
I didnt know the engines were orange paint? Wow...something new every day!

Breadfan
10-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Breadfan--thats a great looking 65!
I didnt know the engines were orange paint? Wow...something new every day!

We're still wondering that ourselves. I pointed my dad to a place with restoration parts and he got a new air cleaner decal. We're going to put new valve cover gaskets on and strip/refinish the valve covers and air cleaner.

At this present time we're going to use orange again...is that stock I'm not 100% sure...

Or should they be gold?

Anyone know for sure?

hotmerc65
10-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Sorry I was away for a while. I would love to ride in a merc convoy.
Also my valve covers and cleaner are orange. This color is the same as ford in the 60's. and you almost can not tell between chevy orange and merc orange.

Breadfan
10-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Cool, I was looking online to confirm, as some pics had gold valve covers and air cleaners, it appears that the park lanes did have orange though. :)

hotmerc65
10-02-2006, 08:15 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/hotmerc65
This is a link to pic's of my car and pic's of the motor
all then 65 merc 390 marauder's I have seen is like this one
The only ones I have seen with gold are the 2bbl carb (not marauder)

hotmerc65
10-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Hey LiL Wrink
I saw thant you had a S&C at the bottom of your reply
what lodge are you in
My home is at St John's in Tyler but I lodge at Hallsville

LiLWrink
10-03-2006, 07:22 AM
My Blue lodge is Mantua (pronounced Man-chu-way. it is an Indian name, of the old community where the original charter was put to work before the community moved to meet the first rail road in the area...) #209 Van Alstyne, Texas

I get around the various circles of folks over here, and have close friends and family in various lodges...I visit so often, they dont even introduce me anymore...:D

You are welcome here anytime!:beer:

My Marauders were both sans engines and trans missions when I got them, and they wont be stock when they get replaced...
I have plans in progress for a souped up 410/c6 with GV overdrive...in the 63.
the sport pac 64 park lane I am in the process of selling to a long time/close frind of mine...(it was the only way I could get him to join the club...)

hotmerc65
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the reply
I'm going pretty stock on my 65 390, but I was going to change color to black and the inside the same, find some ss mag wheels, tint the windows, and put some miles on it.
All my other projects I have always seem to build too hot and end up working on them more than drive. So this time I'm trying to make more of a highway car.

I also visited your curbster site and sent a email. Hope to hear back.:cool:

LiLWrink
10-03-2006, 10:42 AM
you will...the curbs are a bunch of ADD children who are all grown up now...like me!
We pretty much do whatever the hell we want to-cuz we can...

someone asked me one time why solomon built such a humongous temple...

I replied that there where a bunch of bored unemployed hot rod guys who didnt have enough money to buy cars hanging around...so solomon said hey guys, lets build the most over the top garage ever?:bows: :coolman:

Tell them I sent you, I am an Original Curbster...

LiLWrink
10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
You asked for advice on paint...

My $.02 worth...

Strip the car, sandblast it smooth, straighten and fill everything that needs to be, and have someone who is good reshoot the car for you.

At least that method works for me...

hotmerc65
10-03-2006, 11:14 AM
As you can tell by the pic's on my web site that the 65 has the original paint with no dents or dings. this sould make painting it a lot easier.

You are correct in saying that some one else sould do it.
I painted a couple of other trucks and thought I did a good job but on the merc I want it to look new and professional. :grad:

LiLWrink
10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I see in the picture at your website, that you appear to be a guitar picker?

You will definatly need to pack your case when you come to visit me.

We try to get together to jam once a month...sometimes we cant, but our get togethers are private-close friends and family only, and very casual.

Several of my friends and I when we were younger used to play professionaly, and decided to quit the lifestyle in order to save thier sanity and marriges and so forth...so we dont get carried away in our old age.

I also see a nice looking shop in the background of the photo...

I have some pics in the gallery. check them out.:beer:

hotmerc65
10-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Always looking for some to pick with and to learn from. Please let me know if you would like me to jion in on a get toghter. Just let me know when.:D

hotmerc65
10-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I also enjoy the art of firearms too. As you said in your profile along with blowning things up. U.S.M.C:cowboy:

LiLWrink
10-04-2006, 01:42 PM
They wouldnt let me in the military back in the mid eighties...
I got bad knees, so I went college on a football scholorship-til I failed out for not going to class...then I had to come home and pay for it all...dangit!
go figure...

anyway I like to blow things up real good...when I can get primer cord...

I like guns, knives, big trucks, picking guitars, hot rodding cars...hunting, fishing, and just being redneck...How about you?

I actually checked on our git-to-gether for this weekend, and no one has responded yet...

It has been a while since I worked on either of the cars, but I did find a nice place to buy trim and straight panels, and my 63 model car was wrecked in the front passenger side, so I have a few pieces to gather up before paint.

I have straightened and buffed the trim that I have--it looks real good!

I have A-quired a Merc FE410 to put in one of my cars...the other is a sure candidate for a hopped up 460.

When the weather cools off, I will get more motivated, fo-sho!:beer:

hotmerc65
10-11-2006, 05:06 PM
hey Lil Wrink
I just wanted to check and see if you were active in the lodge than you might like a song I wrote about a mason ring. My father in-law was put in the east
some time back and he asked me to sing and pick at the logde. So I wrote this song because I couldn't think of any songs that would fit.
Maybe I could email it to you to see what you think

also found some texas 1972 plates for my 72 3/4 ton ford truck today, can't wait to put them on.

LiLWrink
10-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Sorry for not responding very quickly...

I have been busy working on one of my Cougars, which is at the body shop, and also my "shop" projects at my shop had been piling up. I have been catching up the old "Honey-do" list.

I sent you a PM...or two.:beer:

younga1
10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey all, I spotted a 1965 Mercury Park Lane Convert in Dallas near Love Field just the other day for I think it was $9,000 if anyone is interested.

LiLWrink
11-02-2006, 02:11 PM
9 large is way out of my range...

I have got to get a job that does nothing. I am tired of working!:D

I plan to make a road trip over the Thanksgiving Hoilidays.

I have found another complete 1963 Marauder, that I am going to look at, potentially to buy for parts.

The owner has told me there is some rust, and I would just have to see for myself...:cool4:

Did you e-mail the song yet? and which address did you send it to?:confused:

Peter
12-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Any update?
Oh and happy birthday!

LiLWrink
12-06-2006, 12:07 PM
car was rusted beyond my wanting anything to do with it, and I havent made it to east texas in months...

Next time I do go to east texas, I am going to give "hot merc" a call.

Thumbs up Baby~!

chrish
12-06-2006, 08:05 PM
is marshell near burnet? How far & what direction?

whd507
03-15-2007, 07:37 PM
My 66 had a 410, what a sweet motor.

I would love to build another one someday.

closest thing I have now is a 70 390p in a 76 pickup. had I known then, I'd have kept the 410 for that project.