PDA

View Full Version : Share your Washing/ Waxing Techniques

piglet
09-22-2002, 04:36 PM
Gents,

Please no flames here. ;)

I know how to detail a vehicle; I wanted specific tip and techniques for maintaining a black vehicle. I am looking for specific brands used and types of applications. For example my nieghbor uses his hand held leave blower to "Air" dry his Mustang. Do some use cloth microfiber cloths to dry or chamois?

Break it down for me Marine Corps style.

1. Type of detergent. Cold water or warm water.
2. Type of sponge, wash sock etc.
3. How do you dry the car and with what?
4. Do you use the 3 step waxing? a) wax cleaner b) polisher c) wax
5. Do you make circle during application or straight lines.
6. What do you use to remove the wax?

If my Marauder was any color other than black I would not be asking this question.

I truly appreciate all positive inputs. Thanks in advance.

Logan
09-22-2002, 05:10 PM
1. Type of detergent. Cold water or warm water.

Zaino Z7 Car wash concentrate

2. Type of sponge, wash sock etc.

Sponge with 100% cotton threaded skirt.

3. How do you dry the car and with what?

California Water blade, nothin' works better and faster.

4. Do you use the 3 step waxing? a) wax cleaner b) polisher c) wax

Use Zaino Process. Which can be 7+ steps.

5. Do you make circle during application or straight lines.

Straight lines always. Vertical on sides of car, front to back on horizontal surfaces...

6. What do you use to remove the wax?

Zaino doesn't leave a residue. But the wax is removed with 100% cotton bath towels, the expensive ones

03 Merc
09-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Well at the risk of being flamed myself I am using the same Meguires products( Wash and Wax) I have used on all my vehicles for years...

I use warm water, (us Army guys appreciate their comforts), in the bucket with a "fake" sponge for the top and a mitt for the wheels. I also have a soft dish brush for the mags... WD-40 removes the road tar if necessary (just get it off quick and wash / rinse the area well)

After washing I use a real chamios to dry the car and use windex on the outside glass.. I have a ammonia free glass cleaner for the inside because of the tinting.. I use Meguires wax with a soft applicator to put it on..used towels to take it off... I do not use any "armour all" or like products except on the door gaskets once a year...

And although I have done it to the Marauder yet I do the ultimate "no-no" ....I use automatic car washes now and then.. if the car looks ratty and the weather isn't cooperating....$10 to $15 bucks and the car looks a lot better...plus the under body wash at one of these beats anything you can do at home...unless you have a lift...

I refuse to be held hostage to hours of work washing / claying /waxing / 2nd stage waxing / spraying / with 15 products on a car I drive every day....I rather be out enjoying a North Georgia mountain drive....:)

Larry Vogel
09-22-2002, 06:17 PM
You guys are gonna freak, but after 30 years in the bump and paint game, the easiest product to date I have ever used is Nu-Finish, yep the stuff that guy puts on in the dessert on the commercial. It leaves a shine and lasts so far on my 63 for 2 years. Shine's like nothing else I've used except plain glaze.
Nothing wrong with the car washes of today, just don't let them guys at the end of the line dry it off for ya with their dirty cloths.:cool:

TAF
09-22-2002, 07:22 PM
I'm SOLD on the Zaino treatment. Yes Wayne, I did spend several hours on Labor Day "laboring" through Dawn dishwashing first to "strip", clay bar from back/front - top/bottom, 2 treatments of Z-5 (anti-swirl) and 3 coats of Z-2 "polish-lok"...but, since then, just a quick wash with the Z-7 (one time I might add) and it looks just as good as it did that long day. AND, I feel better about not fretting over every single spot that could get through to the paint.

So...order the Zaino products, get on the program and you won't be disappointed.

TAF
09-22-2002, 07:33 PM
sent a couple of these to Sal Zaino...

mark
09-22-2002, 07:40 PM
Zaino bros system is by far the best for longtivity and easiest to maintain after the system is initially applied.

Logan
09-23-2002, 06:08 AM
Ditto Mark... It's a breeze to keep the car clean once the zaino's on...

KSMM03
09-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Okay, where would one find this Zaion's stuff?

Suggestions for the chrome and rubber as well??

Logan
09-23-2002, 01:03 PM
www.zainobros.com

They've got products to take care of your vehicle from top to bottom

GarageMahal
09-23-2002, 04:05 PM
California Water blade - What is it? Where do I get one?

I also am a Zaino user.

jta

03 Merc
09-23-2002, 04:23 PM
jta,

It is a curved wiping blade (kinda like the ones a window washer uses) used to squeege the water off your car... a lot of the folks in the local SS club carry them in their trunk so they can wipe off rain at a show...

The last time I saw the California Water Blade was in a Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories catalog... I think good ol' JC Whitney has one as well...and possibly Pep Boys... or at least a clone of it...

Logan
09-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Any auto parts store sells them. It's a T shaped silicon blade. Works 10 x better than a chamois...

I've never scratched any finish with it either, perfectly safe and does wonders on windows... In short, no water spots anywhere on the car...

This is how my car looks after a normal car wash in my driveway using my stuff...

http://www.logansgarage.com/marauder/IMAG0048.JPG

Cooper
09-23-2002, 05:30 PM
piglet- I just posted a reply about this subject on your "Just got a Marauder!" post. ;)