PDA

View Full Version : More carbon buildup from right side of engine

Fourth Horseman
05-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Hey all,

Something I've noticed for a while when cleaning my car, I get a lot more carbon buildup on the passanger side chrome exhaust tip than the driver's side tip.

Anybody else notice this? Is this something I should be concerned about? I'm going to pull some plugs for inspection at my next oil change just to see if I've got any fouling.

BODYMAN
05-19-2003, 09:54 AM
got the same thing and the ones I have seen around also have it. my rt side plugs looked a-ok.

Todd

Mark McQuaide
05-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Don't forget, the two pipes merge in an X after the cats - I don't think what you see at the tail relates to one bank of cylinders.

Fourth Horseman
05-19-2003, 10:33 AM
It's an H-pipe, but yeah, you're right. Still, it seems odd that one side would collect more carbon build-up than the other, don't you think?

LincMercLover
05-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Mine's pretty even, but I keep mine clean all the time, so I only see a little "burnt" mark at the bottom of the exit and it's cleaned up. I wouldn't think too much of it, as there is an H-pipe and it could just be a flow characterist of the car.

RF Overlord
05-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
I keep mine clean all the time, so I only see a little "burnt" mark at the bottom of the exit and it's cleaned up.

Wait a minute...you even clean the INSIDE of your exhaust pipes? It's a wonder you have TIME for "LML's GF"...

:lol: :lol:

Long Live #3
05-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Fourth Horseman
I'm going to pull some plugs for inspection at my next oil change just to see if I've got any fouling.

Quack, Quack.:D

Fourth Horseman
05-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Long Live #3
Quack, Quack.:D

Your sense of humor is really fowl, you know that? :D

TripleTransAm
05-19-2003, 12:08 PM
It's an H-pipe, but yeah, you're right. Still, it seems odd that one side would collect more carbon build-up than the other, don't you think?

The H-pipe is probably the least efficient of the crossover pipes, the X being the optimal setup (it even changes exhaust note dramatically on older Pontiac V8s, not just volume). But the H-pipe does make a difference in a true dual system.

Maybe it's a muffler thing. You have aftermarket mufflers, no? Maybe one of them is slightly more restrictive than the other. Does the sound level and tone of both outlets match? Do you park on even pavement (ie. if water would collect inside one tip more than the other)?

I'm also curious to know about your plugs. I may check them myself within a month or two.

Mark McQuaide
05-19-2003, 12:52 PM

I don't know ***** about exhausts, but the Marauder exhaust looks like the pipes join in an "X". I thought an "H" would be a straight pipe joining the two together at right angles.

TripleTransAm
05-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Mark McQuaide
I don't know ***** about exhausts, but the Marauder exhaust looks like the pipes join in an "X". I thought an "H" would be a straight pipe joining the two together at right angles.

I'll look again, but I'm almost certain it's a straight pipe joining at right angles. Unless you have an aftermarket system on your car, that is.

RF Overlord
05-19-2003, 01:05 PM
My car has an "H" (stock exhaust)...

LincMercLover
05-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Mark,

If you're refering to Logan's pics, that was not a stock exhaust system. He had that custom made.

TAF
05-19-2003, 02:20 PM
I think the carbon build-up on the passenger side is just due to the weight differential from the drivers side...for MOST of us :lol:

That's why LML doesn't have that concern....plus...he gets his "pipes cleaned" on a much more regular basis :lol: :lol: :lol:

WolfeBros
05-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Mark McQuaide
I don't know ***** about exhausts.....

Mark please don't let that stop you from posting. It doesnt stop anybody else around here..............:lol: :lol:

Sorry that was two threads in a row Todd derailed. I had to get in on at least one of them. :D

Fourth Horseman
05-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm
Maybe it's a muffler thing. You have aftermarket mufflers, no? Maybe one of them is slightly more restrictive than the other. Does the sound level and tone of both outlets match? Do you park on even pavement (ie. if water would collect inside one tip more than the other)?

I'm also curious to know about your plugs. I may check them myself within a month or two.

Yes, both mufflers sound the same and the car is parked on even pavement 100% of the time (both at home and at the garage at my office).

It's probably nothing, but I just thought it was odd so I thought I'd ask. I don't change oil for another 800 miles, but I'll check plugs then and report back if anything is amiss.

Thanks guys!

TripleTransAm
05-19-2003, 08:03 PM
It's probably nothing, but I just thought it was odd so I thought I'd ask.

Probably just a harness rubbing on some sharp metal bracket that's causing this carbon'ed up exhaust tip. Come to think of it, I think it's probably the cause of my driver's seat squeak! :lol: :lol:

Mark McQuaide
05-20-2003, 06:36 AM
Just went out and looked under my car, duh, it's an H pipe. I guess I was thinking of the pics of the custom exhaust.

Warpath
05-20-2003, 09:02 AM
...the X being the optimal setup (it even changes exhaust note dramatically on older Pontiac V8s, not just volume)...

True for the 4.6s as well. The H has been described as a rumble (some say big block rumble) and the X has more of an exotic sound (think Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.). The X has a slightly higher pitch than the H. I have an X pipe with Borla flow through mufflers and love the sound. Everyone who hears it tells me how much they like the sound - including my mom. http://www.mustangexhaust.com may have some sound clips from H's and X's for comparison.

SergntMac
05-23-2003, 09:39 AM

Dayum /Steve, what a bud you turned out to be! All the way down to Salt Lake City, just to help Fourth out...

Long Live #3
05-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Your sense of humor is really fowl, you know that? :D

As I said before; "Quack Quack!" :D

TripleTransAm
05-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Dayum /Steve, what a bud you turned out to be! All the way down to Salt Lake City, just to help Fourth out...

:lol: :lol:

Where's my arse? Oh, that's right... I just laughed it right off!
I damned near coughed out a lung just now after reading that one...

Fourth, don't be waiting up for me to go down there and check out yer plugs anytime soon. :D

Fourth Horseman
05-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by SergntMac

Does this mean you're not coming here to help as well, Sarge? :confused: