PDA

View Full Version : Monroe front shocks

Magicape
08-31-2006, 11:44 AM
These are now available for Mauraders. Has anybody tried them? I should know how they are Saturday morning but if I get negative reports I'll cancel order--let me know--

Cobra25
08-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Keep in mind the front spring's I believe have to come out to exchange the shocks.

Magicape
08-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Monroe tells thier dealers 1.2 hours for on side and 1.9 for both sides--

SergntMac
08-31-2006, 12:08 PM
I believe they are substandard in quality when compared to the OEM gas struts and shocks. Just my opinion...

magindat
08-31-2006, 12:39 PM
I believe they are substandard in quality when compared to the OEM gas struts and shocks. Just my opinion...

I can speak only for the rears. I replaced my rears at approx 24K with the monroes. My OEM's were leaking and the car was 'floating'. The new monroes obviously improved the ride tremendously over broken OEM's. I now have nearly 38K and no leaks or ride issues. I went monroe as a stop-gap until I could afford 'better'. However, I am happy with them and will keep them until they warrant replacement. I will, of course, report at that time.

Monroe lists the fronts as heavy duty (appropriately). Based on the ride and mileage for the rear, I would use monroe for the front also if I found myself in need of replacement.

Further, Reinhart stocks and sells Monroe for us. I trust his inventory reckoning that he would not stock them or offer them to us if he felt they were substandard. I got my rears from Mr. Reinhart.

I have seen and heard of many OEM (esp rear, but some front) leaking at relatively low mileage (under 30K). As such, I am leary of the OEM (tokico) QC, although I had great results with tokico on ricers.

I would endorse your purchase if it is needed for replacement, but not if trying to gain an 'upgrade'.

You can do the rears yourself. Very easy. Fronts do require a HEAVY DUTY spring compressor. This is a job that could KILL or SERIOUSLY injure you. Please have it done professionally.

JMHO

DallasCV
08-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Wow I can't believe you have to pull the springs to do the front shocks...wow...but I have Monroe Reflex shocks on my CV and F150 and have had them for quite a few years and like the ride and quality.

Magicape
08-31-2006, 01:56 PM
I had Bilstiens on my C70 and they were great but it looks like the only alternative available for the MM is Monroe. The CV and MM front suspensions are completly different.
As far as the quality issue check the Monroe web site--they warrentee these "severe service" shocks for 200K in commercial applications! They also offer a 90 day trial if you have all 4 done.
My car has 64K and I bought it at 30K so can't compare to the OEM shocks when newthe, but I've got a nice old Volvo wagon with 216K that I put Bilstiens on at 60K. Pushing up and down on the front end the MM seems like a baby carrage compared to the Volvo.
I've done everything to get rid of front vibration and have driven this car on the original tires and am on my second set of new since then. Vibration is the same with all three sets. The first new ones I RF balanced, matched the rims and tires, did it again, aligned, then changed to a less agressive alignment. Still vibration. The third set were also RF balanced. Through all of this no change so it's got to be something other than tires/balance/alignment. Let's see if a stiffer shock solves the problem.

SergntMac
08-31-2006, 03:09 PM
I've done everything to get rid of front vibration and have driven this car on the original tires and am on my second set of new since then. Vibration is the same with all three sets. The first new ones I RF balanced, matched the rims and tires, did it again, aligned, then changed to a less agressive alignment. Still vibration. The third set were also RF balanced. Through all of this no change so it's got to be something other than tires/balance/alignment. Let's see if a stiffer shock solves the problem.Chasing a vibration issue? Why didn't you say so...

There's a TSB dating back to the '98 Marks on racks, with a proceedure to change some settings. I don't recall much about it now, but it was used to solve a minor vibration issue on my first Marauder back in 2002. It was an adjustment of sorts, and it worked.

I don't see a relationship between worn out shocks and a vibration, but if you do, then go for it. I still do not consider a Monroe a valid replacement, or, improvement over the OEM shock. It is less expensive, I agree. And useful in that way to get you past your troubleshooting.

kj31067
08-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Chasing a vibration issue? Why didn't you say so...

There's a TSB dating back to the '98 Marks on racks, with a proceedure to change some settings. I don't recall much about it now, but it was used to solve a minor vibration issue on my first Marauder back in 2002. It was an adjustment of sorts, and it worked.

I don't see a relationship between worn out shocks and a vibration, but if you do, then go for it. I still do not consider a Monroe a valid replacement, or, improvement over the OEM shock. It is less expensive, I agree. And useful in that way to get you past your troubleshooting.

mac,
i m not a mechanic by a long shot , but a worn out shock can lead to vibrations , as can a host of other things....keith

Marauderjack
09-01-2006, 03:59 AM
If you are running OEM BFG tires they all seem to have a harmonic type steering wheel shimmy that comes and goes at highway speeds.....I BALANCED AND BALANCED....and could never get rid of it through 3 sets of fronts!!:mad2:

Nitto NT 555's and ABSOLUTELY NO VIBRATION AT ANY SPEED!!!!:beer: :bows:

Speaks really WELL of Ford's choice of American tires!!??:shake:

I've said it before.....BFG KDW's are JUNK!!!:argue:

I have 40K+ on the fronts and 13K on the rears and both sets still look new!!:bows:

I believe your vibration will go away with different tires.....;)

Marauderjack:burnout:

Magicape
09-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Maybe stiffer shocks will dampen the vibration. My tires are only 4K old but will definitly try something different next time. What sizes are the Nitto's?

SergntMac
09-01-2006, 04:28 PM
mac,
i m not a mechanic by a long shot , but a worn out shock can lead to vibrations , as can a host of other things....keithNeither am I a mechanic, but I have logged a lot of time working out problems on my 3 Marauders, and helping others work them out too.

One more time, worn shocks do not cause vibration, but worn shocks do allow all sorts of other disturbances to telegraph through the suspension system, simply because they do not "absorb" anything very well anymore.

What is termed a "vibration" in this thread, is still very loosely defined, so, the jury's still out hunting down the true cause-source of the disturbance this owner speaks of.

New shocks may provide a temporary absence of the vibration he feels, but this is not a cure, just a resolution for his complaint. Give it a few miles, it will be back.

kj31067
09-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Neither am I a mechanic, but I have logged a lot of time working out problems on my 3 Marauders, and helping others work them out too.

One more time, worn shocks do not cause vibration, but worn shocks do allow all sorts of other disturbances to telegraph through the suspension system, simply because they do not "absorb" anything very well anymore.

What is termed a "vibration" in this thread, is still very loosely defined, so, the jury's still out hunting down the true cause-source of the disturbance this owner speaks of.

New shocks may provide a temporary absence of the vibration he feels, but this is not a cure, just a resolution for his complaint. Give it a few miles, it will be back.

exactly.....put blown out shocks on a new car and chances are you will feel something that isnt right......and that temporary absence you mention in your last paragraph could last for about 20 or 40 k or more depending on shock quality.
you are right...they dont cause vibration but they will allow it if they are spewing or worn.....shocks are an important part of a suspension system . unfortunately they take most of the beating...when they give up the ghost, sometimes they magnify a problem that exists that is minor , but nonetheless present.
sometimes that problem is never found unless one wants to tear out the whole front end to the frame rails... if new shocks fix it for
another 30 k , so be it..............

stryker
09-03-2006, 04:58 AM
:down: Sorry Mang but I don't share your election for those... ¿Monroe shocks? I personally don't like them and I have tested before no matter other people says Billstein or OEM Police shocks are the true way to go to me they are crap !BUT! is your choice in my case I will buy the Motorcraft Police shocks untill I can buy the Billstein ones or the Edelbrock IAS that combined with Police NN-NUL/HH-HAP Police springs will strengten my suspension and that's only the beginning.:lol: ---!He he he he heeehhhh!

STRYKER.

ScottB
09-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I've done everything to get rid of front vibration and have driven this car on the original tires and am on my second set of new since then. Vibration is the same with all three sets. The first new ones I RF balanced, matched the rims and tires, did it again, aligned, then changed to a less agressive alignment. Still vibration. The third set were also RF balanced. Through all of this no change so it's got to be something other than tires/balance/alignment. Let's see if a stiffer shock solves the problem.

Did you ever find the source of this? I have the same problem, I was about to give up and set fire to this POS I am so stumped.

stryker
09-10-2006, 05:25 AM
My suggestion...!!DON'T BUY THEM,THEY ARE CRAP,GARBAGE,*****!!

STRYKER.

Bradley G
09-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Did you ever find the source of this? I have the same problem, I was about to give up and set fire to this POS I am so stumped.(quote)

I was able to correct a vibe after mega visits/complaints to the selling dealer.
Turns out new tires replaced under warranty and Road Force balance did the trick.

ScottB
09-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks! I will have to try that. I've done just about evrything else. I have the new rubber, so I'll do the RF balance.

Magicape
09-19-2006, 07:43 AM
It took a while to come up with the right spring compressor but the Monroes are in and I did the rears also. Unfortuately there was no dampening of the front end wobble. But, the ride and handling is supper. The severe duty fromt shocks are not cheapies. If you buy all 4 Monroe gives a 90 day trial period and will replace with an equal value shock if not satisfied--don't know if this includes labor but I'm checking.
Even with only 5K on 4 new BFG's I'm thinking about replacing the fronts with something else--any suggestions?
Stryker, I had Bilstiens on my C70 cruiser and they were simple great--along with a lifetime warrentee, which is great for us high mileage guys. The Monroe rears have a liftime warrentee but not sure about the fronts but checking--

ScottB
09-20-2006, 02:21 AM
So you can't do them with a jack? I always do them this way but never looked closely at what the merc would take.

Magicape
09-20-2006, 06:22 AM
they are coil over--like a strut--not like a standard Crown Vic. The spring compresor needs to be HD.

stryker
09-20-2006, 07:03 AM
:down: Either way MAGIC CAPE I don't thrust them they're crap,*****, Garbage,disguisting, so don't waste money buying such thing.

ScottB
09-21-2006, 03:15 AM
they are coil over--like a strut--not like a standard Crown Vic. The spring compresor needs to be HD.

Right, but can't I put a jack under the lower arm, disconnect the hinge bolts and lower it with the jack? I guess I'll have to look at it more closely; that will probably answer my question.

JMan
09-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Right, but can't I put a jack under the lower arm, disconnect the hinge bolts and lower it with the jack?

No! Look at it closely and you'll see.

J

ScottB
09-22-2006, 03:27 AM
No! Look at it closely and you'll see.

J

Will do. I didn't pay a lot of attention.

BTW, dealer quoted me $530 for shocks :shake:

I wanted a caliper rebuilt, even willing to pay for it out of warranty even though I think it should be covered. I don't have the time and it would cost more to do it myself due to missing billable hours. Wrote up everything and went over it with the service manager.

Total he cam back with was $1400 and didn't even look at the caliper like I told him. Disputed the ticket with the service manager. Got him to knock off evrything including the hour of "diagnostics". That is one broke and angry tech right now, LOL! I'm going back to the Iranians down the steet, Their work ethic is better.

SergntMac
09-22-2006, 06:05 AM
1400 bucks? Did I read you right? What the Hell are they doing for 1400 bucks?

I'm no expert, but our OEM calipers are not that expensive as parts, I have bought a full set myself. I recall it was 120 for the fronts, 87 for the rears, all brand new and "loaded" with pads.

Changing them out is not that big of a deal. Outside of bleeding they system after the change, it shouldn't take more than an hour to change one. I've replaced all four (after custom plating) at a brake shop in two hours, and paid 140 bucks (my parts and fluid).

I hope I misunderstood.

stryker
09-23-2006, 02:11 PM
:eek: ! $530.00 for that garbage of shocks ! that is insane,for that price I can buy 4 Billsteins or Edelbrock IAS so Marauderers ! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BUY THAT CRAP OF SHOCKS FOR YOUR "MM" PANTHER ! :nono:

STRYKER.

Shora
09-23-2006, 02:38 PM
:eek: ! $530.00 for that garbage of shocks ! that is insane,for that price I can buy 4 Billsteins or Edelbrock IAS so Marauderers ! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BUY THAT CRAP OF SHOCKS FOR YOUR "MM" PANTHER ! :nono:

STRYKER.

You keep recommending Billsteins for the Marauder. Can you please provide us with the part numbers (front and back) if they even offer shocks for the Marauder?

Thanks.

SergntMac
09-23-2006, 03:55 PM
You keep recommending Billsteins for the Marauder. Can you please provide us with the part numbers (front and back) if they even offer shocks for the Marauder? Thanks.Dayum...Wish I had thought of that...

stryker
09-23-2006, 04:47 PM
You keep recommending Billsteins for the Marauder. Can you please provide us with the part numbers (front and back) if they even offer shocks for the Marauder?

Thanks.:confused: ! What ! they don't have them for the MM or for the MGMLS 2003 up ?

STRYKER.

SergntMac
09-23-2006, 04:58 PM
:confused: ! What ! they don't have them for the MM or for the MGMLS 2003 up ?

STRYKER.Dude...You tell us?

TAF
09-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Ya...MANG!!!!

stryker
09-23-2006, 06:54 PM
:nono: !NO Mang!

STRYKER.

TAF
09-23-2006, 06:59 PM
I say we need to have some Bacardi at the Caribe Hilton, and discuss this...MANG!

stryker
09-23-2006, 07:16 PM
:eek: ! What Bacardi at... ! ¿ have you been there ?

STRYKER.

ScottB
09-25-2006, 07:57 AM
1400 bucks? Did I read you right? What the Hell are they doing for 1400 bucks?

I'm no expert, but our OEM calipers are not that expensive as parts, I have bought a full set myself. I recall it was 120 for the fronts, 87 for the rears, all brand new and "loaded" with pads.

Changing them out is not that big of a deal. Outside of bleeding they system after the change, it shouldn't take more than an hour to change one. I've replaced all four (after custom plating) at a brake shop in two hours, and paid 140 bucks (my parts and fluid).

I hope I misunderstood.

Get this: Radiator flush, PS flush, brake fluid flush, plugs, brakes all around, Shocks front and rear, transmission service and alignment and balance are going to fix my problem. Yeah, right. He completely ignored everything I wrote down. Probably because my wife took it in, and she probably made the comment that she wasn't happy with the lincoln dealer (bad move). Regardless, a little overkill is alright but fluids? For a vibration? That I have already addressed somewhat? It was obvious that he was going to change anything and everything not under warranty in order to "diagnose by lego-block".

Took it to the regular Merc dealership we use and they showed me something you pointed out in another post; the BFGs are crap. They are separating. You can only really see it on the road-force balancer. It sems there is a ton of bad KDWS tires out there at really discounted prices. They aren't worth getting. Probably blems that should have been destroyed but thanks to EPA regs it is cheaper to sell them in China, where they are likely resold back to the US.

Also of note, they turned the rear drums and removed a pulse that at the time seemed indistinguishable from the vibration. $180 for a brake job, that was pretty expensive but they were absolutely correct and I don't have time to do this right now.

So it is new tires all around. And they won't be BFGs. I don't care what they say, if something that bad gets out the back door then how can you trust what comes out the front?

stryker
09-27-2006, 08:11 PM
:nono: I warn all !DO NOT BUY SUCH CRAP OF MONROE SHOCKS! if you love your "MM"Panther for the contrary if you don't love your "MM" Panther install it. :down:

STRYKER.:burnout:

Magicape
09-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Before junking my new tires I tried an experiment. A guy at the tire shop has a Grand Marquis with good new goodyears. We put his wheels on my car expecting to see the vibration ofter attributed to the tires go away. NO CHANGE! So, to re cap I bought the car used with original tires. Replaced them. Road force balanced and matched rims and tires a few times. Replaced rotors. Changed to less agressive alignment. Needed new tires again. Replaced shocks. rechecked balance and alignment. Through all of this the damn vibration still starts at about 70 m/h. I'm about to change the car!!!!!
$100 reward to anyone who comes up with a solution that solves this problem!

Magicape
09-29-2006, 10:37 AM
If anybody knows how to find that 1998 TSB about the rack adjustment please let me know--

ScottB
09-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Before junking my new tires I tried an experiment. A guy at the tire shop has a Grand Marquis with good new goodyears. We put his wheels on my car expecting to see the vibration ofter attributed to the tires go away. NO CHANGE! So, to re cap I bought the car used with original tires. Replaced them. Road force balanced and matched rims and tires a few times. Replaced rotors. Changed to less agressive alignment. Needed new tires again. Replaced shocks. rechecked balance and alignment. Through all of this the damn vibration still starts at about 70 m/h. I'm about to change the car!!!!!

That is troubling to hear. I still have a very minor vibration in these tires, I'm not ready to shell out money for new ones. I am looking for a cheap set of steel wheels with easier-to-find sizes on them to see; I can always krylon them black along with that stupid pimp strip along the bottom. I'll let you know what happens.

Magicape
09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
The goodyear RSA is the police pursuit tire and a good one--I've had good luck and long life on a cruiser. There is a size match for the fronts and a close match for the rears for the MM.. This will be my next tire but I've only got 6K on the BFG's now.

Magicape
09-29-2006, 11:33 AM
PS--check the used cruiser guys, Ebay, cab companys, for a good set of wheels and tires off of a cruiser--

mtnh
09-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Driveshaft balance? Does it have the factory driveshaft?

Dennis Reinhart
09-29-2006, 06:13 PM
These are now available for Mauraders. Has anybody tried them? I should know how they are Saturday morning but if I get negative reports I'll cancel order--let me know--

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
We have them in stock and they are sever duty

Magicape
10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Driveshaft balance? Does it have the factory driveshaft?
Yes. Does the high speed police one plug in? The transmissions are the same--sorry I've not been on the site recently--

Magicape
10-17-2006, 01:04 PM
The shocks are great, regardless of other opinions.

I figured out the steering preload business and set as specified (you need a micro torque wrench).

The vibration is still there but it doesn't transfer up the steering column as much.

As far as the earlier drive shaft question this is definitly a front end related problem--no vibration anywhere else and with a bad drive shaft or U joints you'ld feel it in the cabin and perhaps hear it below the floor.

Still no vibration solution!!!!!!!!!

hbarrett
10-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Similar experience to yours but never noticed it until I had the front end aligned about four months ago to "carfixer's spec." I don't know what it is all about, but even with new tires it's still doing it at the 65 to 80 mph range, a vibration (or radial oscillation) in the steering wheel. I am wondering if the only solution is to sell the car.

Drock96Marquis
10-20-2006, 12:24 PM
The CV and MM front suspensions are completly different.

.......they are coil over--like a strut--not like a standard Crown Vic. The spring compresor needs to be HD.

Wrong. The 2003-2004 Marauder suspension is the same as any other 2003+ Panther platform car, but with revised rate for the springs and shock valving.

FYI, for those swithcing to these new shocks;
The Marauder front shocks are revised to limit the front end wheel travel because of the larger wheel/tire combo / fender well clearence. The Monroe HD shocks are desinged for all 03+ panthers, tuned for HPPs and CVPIs stiffer spring rates. However, they lack the reduced travel of the original Marauder shock.
What this means, is if extreme suspension compression occurs, because of the MM's larger wheel and tire combo fender well and/or tire damage can occur. This is even more of an issue for those who may be running larger (width and/or height) front tires.

Here is the how-to on changing 03+ front shocks:

http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/2003shockchange.htm

Magicape
11-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Wrong. The 2003-2004 Marauder suspension is the same as any other 2003+ Panther platform car, but with revised rate for the springs and shock valving.

FYI, for those swithcing to these new shocks;
The Marauder front shocks are revised to limit the front end wheel travel because of the larger wheel/tire combo / fender well clearence. The Monroe HD shocks are desinged for all 03+ panthers, tuned for HPPs and CVPIs stiffer spring rates. However, they lack the reduced travel of the original Marauder shock.
What this means, is if extreme suspension compression occurs, because of the MM's larger wheel and tire combo fender well and/or tire damage can occur. This is even more of an issue for those who may be running larger (width and/or height) front tires.

Here is the how-to on changing 03+ front shocks:

http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/2003shockchange.htm

you're right, I was comparing to pre '03 panthers, like my cruiser, where the shock comes out through the center and the spring does not have to be removes. In any event the spring compressor has to be HD

Loco1234
11-02-2006, 02:02 PM
>FYI, for those swithcing to these new shocks;
>The Marauder front shocks are revised to limit the front end wheel travel
>HD shocks are desinged for all 03+ panthers, tuned for HPPs and CVPIs
>stiffer spring rates. However, they lack the reduced travel of the original
>Marauder shock.

I understand this completely but does this mean that there is truely no perfomance/aftermarket shock available for the Marauder that doesn't cause another issuse on any level...?

Svashtar
04-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Guys, not to hijack this older thread, but any idea what the recommended interval for new shocks is?

I have 36K on mine and don't seem to have any problems.

BTW, I just got new tires and could have got the original KDW's (I think they are the "S" model) for less $, so that matches what was said here. I got the KDW NT's from America's Tire and they look great and seem to be wearing very well. Just 1000 miles so far.

Only thing I found out after the fact is that they are directional, so no rotating at all, unless I want to pay $30 a tire to have them flipped.

Norm

Marauder.45
04-22-2007, 07:02 PM
>

I understand this completely but does this mean that there is truely no perfomance/aftermarket shock available for the Marauder that doesn't cause another issuse on any level...?

I see we don't have an answer yet. Looks like stockers it is.

GreekGod
04-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Guys, not to hijack this older thread, but any idea what the recommended interval for new shocks is?
Norm

I just installed Tokico's on the front of our 140,000 mile '93 Grand Marquis. I'm sure the fronts I removed were original shocks (part numbers, dates, and rust)! They still had a gas charge, and no leaks. The replacements did not make much difference in ride quality, but have a better resistance to bottoming on deep bumps and swells.

BLACKMARAUDER04
06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
KYB'S ARE WAY BETTER THAN MONROE'S. i HAVE HAD THEM ON FOR 3 DAYS, AND LIKE THEM VERY MUCH.

Tony_the_Brit
06-16-2007, 08:44 PM
My OEM Sport shocks did 110,000 miles and were still OK. I then installed Marauder shocks because of my larger wheels. They are now actually cheaper than the Sport shocks!

GreekGod
06-17-2007, 06:03 AM
My OEM Sport shocks did 110,000 miles and were still OK. I then installed Marauder shocks because of my larger wheels. They are now actually cheaper than the Sport shocks!

Hey, Tony...that Crown 'Vic is a big "saloon" car for a Brit to be driving. You must be making your Englander friends back home jealous, what with those midget and clown size girly-man cars they drive!

OneBADLsE
06-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Will the MM shocks fit a pre 03' model?

larryo340
06-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Will the MM shocks fit a pre 03' model?
Nope, '03 and up are totally different.
I don't know what you are looking to do, but I used on my '98 P71 OEM cop shocks. It stiffened the front up, handles better, and does not nose dive when braking as much as before. Plus I think they were the cheapest from FORD as compared to stock, and handling package shocks.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-19-2007, 05:39 AM
I also have the 60+ MPH steering wheel shimmy. I have changed wheels (NEW), tires, and had them road force balanced several times, using the correct lug centric mount on the Hunter 9700 machine. STILL SHIMMIES! Either it is the BFG KDW tires (which I agree SUCK worse than anything, I hate these tires), or it's the car. Some of the people who think they have no vibrations probably just don't notice really small things like that. My wife doesn't complain about the vibration, but that doesn't mean it isn't there (don't tell her that though!). Yeay $35k American shaking car!