PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Install Help

not5-0
09-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I plan on installing front and rear bars tomorrow. I did a search on install tips but there was too much info and seemed somewhat confusing. Can some one who REALLY knows how to do it give me some tips. I believe it will be fairly simple but it never hurts to ask anyway....Thanks Dave

MM2004
09-01-2006, 06:05 PM
I plan on installing front and rear bars tomorrow. I did a search on install tips but there was too much info and seemed somewhat confusing. Can some one who REALLY knows how to do it give me some tips. I believe it will be fairly simple but it never hurts to ask anyway....Thanks Dave

I installed my Addcos with some help from a neighbor next door (recommended).

It is best to do the install with the suspension under a load. Never figured out how members drove their cars on ramps as my facia would hit well before the tires ever saw the ramps. :confused:

So, not being a big guy, I was able to lay on a "ghetto creeper" to get the job done. :D

Fairly straight forward. Just make sure and grease the bushings for the front prior to buttoning the parts up.

The rear took longer than the front, just take your time, and everything will come together easily.

About an hour and a half and we were done.
:beer:

What type bars did you get?

Good luck,

Mike.

RoyLPita
09-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I have installed the front bar. It is very Easy. I have no clue on the rear but it should not be a problem.

fastblackmerc
09-01-2006, 07:11 PM
^^^^ What they said ^^^^

I installed the front just by jacking up the front and putting the MM on jackstands. I also removed both front wheels (good time to clean them). Did the same on the rear (didn't remove the wheels tho).

KillJoy
09-01-2006, 07:47 PM
I would recommend putting some Marine Grade Grease in between EVERY part during reassembly.

KillJoy

Zack
09-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Get an impact gun for the front.

MM2004
09-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Get an impact gun for the front.

Makes it easier and quicker no doubt, but hand tools will work.

Mike.

Drock96Marquis
09-01-2006, 09:23 PM
The rear is very simple, hardest part is getting the nuts off the tops of the rear endlinks (limited space/working around mufflers)

An air-ratchet makes quick work of the remving the fasteners. On the front of 03+ cars you should have enough room to get one on all the nuts, I know on 98-02 endlinks a torx driver is needed (as well as needing to pull the front wheels -02), but I don't think this is needed for 03+. The only spot I had to use a handtool was on the upper rear endlink mount. Though it was NBD.

I cannot get my car on ramps either, the bumper fascia is too low. I didn't need to jack up the rear but it made it easier, I did have to jack up the front (just need a floor jack and 2 jackstands)

I did mine with no load on the suspension, after reading sme posts before hand some said you would have a hard time lining up the bar and such. I had no problem whatsoever, though.

Svashtar
09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I put a Quickor on the back, heavy beast, and an Addco on the front after Quickor fell through on getting one. The bushings for the back were a real problem, and finally solved the problem by begging for bushings from Addco which they supplied. You won't have that issue.

The front was not a problem. Drove up on ramps and used an air ratchet to speed things up. A regular ratchet would have worked fine but been slower. Just look at the way the OEM is setup.

The back was just tighter to work in, but went fine once I got the right bushings. It was kind of hard for me to tell how much to tighten the endlinks, but it seemed to go OK, and it has been working well for almost 20K miles now. Good mod.

Norm