PDA

View Full Version : Bad cat

Dan
09-05-2006, 02:13 PM
WIth just about 2 years on my Kooks full system my dealer tells me that one of the cats is throwing an engine code which says that it is bad.

I would appreciate anyone from Kooks telling me what warranty, if any, I have on the catalytic converters.

Thanks,

Dan

Dennis Reinhart
09-05-2006, 02:33 PM
WIth just about 2 years on my Kooks full system my dealer tells me that one of the cats is throwing an engine code which says that it is bad.

I would appreciate anyone from Kooks telling me what warranty, if any, I have on the catalytic converters.

Thanks,

Dan

I would say its a false code and its for catalyst inefficiency the rear 02's should be off to prevent this

Marauderoz
09-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Dan!

My 8 week old kooks full system is also throwing a code....PO153. (blew a collector gasket when 4 weeks old)

I ordered xcal2 from Dennis today...

Carl

Dennis Reinhart
09-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Tell me what the code is if it is indeed for catalyst inefficiency the rear 02's are still on and I can fix that if you have my tuning either way I will help if I can

Dan
09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Tell me what the code is if it is indeed for catalyst inefficiency the rear 02's are still on and I can fix that if you have my tuning either way I will help if I can

Dennis,

I'll probably be getting a report on this from the dealer tomorrow or Thursday. I'll post up once I have details.

Thanks,

Dan

MERCMAN
09-05-2006, 04:28 PM
bummer!! hope this will make you smile,,,
now THIS is a bad cat

http://www.conscrew.com/emile/bad_cat.jpg

Dan
09-05-2006, 06:57 PM
You know, it was tempting for me, ME, to start this thread using those words and not do some sort of play. I haven't been around a bit but those who know me know how hard it was.

I haven't checked the link as of writing this but it had better be worth it. :)

Best,

Dan

Dan
09-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Grooooooaaaaaaaannnnnn

CRUZTAKER
09-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I would say its a false code and its for catalyst inefficiency the rear 02's should be off to prevent this

Exactly.

How the F are your cats throwing codes if you did this?

You did this right...(reaching for fish)...

Dan
09-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Dennis,

I just got the car back from the shop.

Here is what happened and what is happening.

Last October I took the car in for service. It had the Superchips and a full Kooks system installed. The dealer did a reflash of the ECU. I was unaware of this so there goes my Superchips.

Forward in time. The car begins exhibiting the Check engine light and starts to go into the rev limiter on WOT acceleration. The dealer just checked it out last week. The code it is throwing is "PO430." I am quite sure that the stock o2 sensors were and are used with the Kooks system.

This is, of course, telling them that the cat is "below threshold." They cannot figure out why it is going into the rev limiter. They call Ford. Ford tells them, "have the owner get the cat problem resolved and then we can look into the rev limiter issue again." Ford won't do anything with the rev limite issue until the cat is not throwing a code. Ford can't replace the cat since it's part of the Kooks system.

So, that is the story. If you think that you can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Best,

Dan

PS: Can we hold off on the "cat" jokes at this point in time. I really need this thread to be serious while I get this issue resolved. Thanks, guys, I know I can count on you.

Dennis Reinhart
09-09-2006, 08:59 AM
This is a easy fix give me a call Monday

CRUZTAKER
09-09-2006, 11:18 AM
The dealer did a reflash of the ECU.

:nono: Bad Dealer.

You gotta hate it when that happens.
I still have the P-Touch tape "DO NOT FLASH" over the diagnostic port.
I assumed they could read.:P