PDA

View Full Version : Driveability with 4.10's and stock tune?

Eric91Z
09-12-2006, 04:14 AM
I am just wondering how the Marauder would drive with 4.10 gears and a stock tune? Only asking because if I get the gears done there may be a couple days turn-around to get my XCal2 re-programmed and back in the car after the gears are done. Any harm in driving it like that for a day or 2?

RoyLPita
09-12-2006, 04:41 AM
Your speedometer will be off by 10 MPH.

RF Overlord
09-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Eric, you won't hurt a thing.

Speedo will read high by 15% and the shift points will be early, but otherwise there are no ill effects.

ductman
09-12-2006, 07:05 AM
I have been driving mine for a few weeks now without a tune and 4.10's. There is no problems other then the trani seems a little confused every now and then and short shifts. The speedo seems to be off about 10mph. Hopefully I can get my tune this week.

Eric91Z
09-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Well, doesn't look like it will matter much right now. I was kind of hoping the dealer would be willing to (but did not expect them to) put a set of FRPP 4.10 gears in instead of the stock 3.55's when they do the rear end rebuild today and tomorrow for gear noise. Oh well. Don't want to push it since it is being covered under warranty.

fastblackmerc
09-12-2006, 07:34 AM
A few "extra" bucks wouldn't sway him?

the_pack_rat
09-12-2006, 09:57 AM
A few "extra" bucks wouldn't sway him?

+1

Don't know if you have a good relationship with any of the techs ... but that would be the way to go if you could swing it.

Slip him a few bucks ...

Only you & him would be in the know, there's something other than the stockers going back in there.

Eric91Z
09-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Not at this dealership or any others around here. Especially on a warranty job. It is VERY frustrating. At least when I worked as a Service Advisor at a Honda Dealership I would at least say "Let me see what I can do". Now it is "NO and don't question me", or my favorite "what exactly did you do to break it?".

It's too bad too because Service departments is/should be one of the biggest selling points for a dealership. And this is the 3rd dealership I have tried for service and have stayed with them because they are marginally better than the others. Their policy definitely seems to be this is what the factory did originally so that is what we are going to do. Shoot, they wouldn't even do the factory synthetic gear lube when they replaced the diff. cover gasket under warranty (hey, and now I have a gear whine). Go figure...

Bradley G
09-12-2006, 11:26 AM
You have not found the right dealer yet, Eric.
I have worked for several FLM dealerships in the NW Chicago burbs,Thier are some that will be on your side.
I can understand if they say "you are on your own" with any rear end warranty issues.

Not at this dealership or any others around here. Especially on a warranty job. It is VERY frustrating. At least when I worked as a Service Advisor at a Honda Dealership I would at least say "Let me see what I can do". Now it is "NO and don't question me", or my favorite "what exactly did you do to break it?".

It's too bad too because Service departments is/should be one of the biggest selling points for a dealership. And this is the 3rd dealership I have tried for service and have stayed with them because they are marginally better than the others. Their policy definitely seems to be this is what the factory did originally so that is what we are going to do. Shoot, they wouldn't even do the factory synthetic gear lube when they replaced the diff. cover gasket under warranty (hey, and now I have a gear whine). Go figure...

SamF
09-12-2006, 03:55 PM
When I picked up my car (used) it had 4.10's and an SCT stock tune. I was not aware of this at first and I was absolutely disappointed with the trans shift points in addition to a really nasty hesitation around 2500 rpm. I reflashed with a Lidio tune and that "seemed" to help the trans and eliminated the hesitation. Shortly afterward I realized that my speedo must be off (all this time I just thought it was a FAST car! :D ). I attempted to correct the speedo with tire rotations per mile programming based on the 235 tires on the rear (too many variables, I admit it had me stumped) Out of frustration and suspecting a gear change I flashed the 4.10 program in. What a difference! I have since confirmed that 4.10's are installed and added a rear axle girdle.

Anyway....if you end up getting the gears I suggest you have the programming on hand at the time of installation.

Blackened300a
09-12-2006, 05:05 PM
I tried cruising with my stock tune and 4.10s for a few miles. Your shift all 4 gears before 30mph to the point it bogged the engine.

Eric91Z
09-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I tried cruising with my stock tune and 4.10s for a few miles. Your shift all 4 gears before 30mph to the point it bogged the engine.

That sounds like the stock tune with stock gears...;)