PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever steam clean their engine?

bryanthomas
09-12-2006, 05:15 AM
Hey guys I just finished up detailing my engine bay. I used some basic degreaser and then some tire dressing on all the hoses and black plastic. It looks great. I love detailing my cars, and the engine has always been my favorite part to clean because it does pose as some what of a challenge and nothing gets a better reaction from other car guys or brightens a mechanics day like popping the hood and seeing a nicely detailed engine.

But on with the point to this thread: I was thinking about purchasing a small hand held steamer from Target (or some other fine retailer) to really get in there and clean up the block and tiny crevaces in the intake manifold. Has any one does this? I was thinking of using the steam in conjunction with a wire brush.

:burnout:

KillJoy
09-12-2006, 05:52 AM
That is a very interesting idea. I have never heard of anyone else trying it. You would be the FIRST!!!!

I'm gonna be detailing my car here in a few weeks. A bud here recommended using Simple Green on everything under the hood. After letting it sit for 10 minutes....wipe off. Hopefully all will go well :D

KillJoy

bryanthomas
09-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Well tonite I am going to Target anyway, so I'll pick up a hand held steamer and let you guys know how it goes.

I'll update the thread by the end of the week. :beer:

merc
09-12-2006, 12:34 PM
What about the coin car wash using the low presure setting ? It's worked for years for me.

Blackened300a
09-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I have steam cleaned my engine 4 times already and I havent had a single issue. Just keep a safe distance away when spraying any electrical connectors

Paul T. Casey
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Simple Green seems to work well for me. As of late, I just spray some on a sponge and wipe away. Then rinse with another sponge with water. I've also used Windex and paper towels. Then my favorite protectant on all non-painted areas, and wax all the painted surfaces. Also, I put the car up on jack stands and do the underside of the engine and frame. Keep your tool kit handy, as this is a good time to verify everything is still snug (bolts, screws, etc.)

KillJoy
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Keep your tool kit handy, as this is a good time to verify everything is still snug (bolts, screws, etc.)

Good Idea!!! Never really thought of it!!

:banana:

KillJoy