PDA

View Full Version : chugga chugga

duhtroll
05-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Please indulge a non-mechanic for a moment . . .

I have an acceleration "bug." I have tried to be very gentle with my new car, and have only plowed thru a start a few times since I have owned it.

However, sometimes when I accelerate slowly, I get a hesitation - feels almost like my old LTD did when it stalled but this is just a "chugging" a few times before it gets going. Other times from a start even when I very gingerly press the gas I jump forward as if it allofasudden "catches" and takes off.

This happens more often when the engine is cold, but has happened sometimes even after driving for a while.

Is my idle too low? I am right at 500 when in gear at idle.

This is a minor annoyance at the most - but I did just buy a NEW car and it should behave as such. Could this be a plug-related thing? Is the acceleration/shifting really supposed to be this clunky?

I can easily take it to the LM dealer 3 blocks from here (there sales dept. sucks but their mechanics I hear are first rate).

Any help will be met with many thanks!

-A

WolfeBros
05-22-2003, 03:30 PM
We have heard of engine surging problems on some cars when the engine is cold. The cure is a new software download for the ECM. Talk to your service manager. It doesn't take them long to flash the computer. Hope this is all it is. Let us know what they find.

Black Terror
05-22-2003, 03:35 PM
SSM 16428

2002 Marauder(that's what it sez) Hesitation/Stumble cold only

SOME 2003 MARAUDERS MAY EXHIBIT A HESITATION/STUMBLE DURING THE FIRST 2 MINUTES OF OPERATION FOLLOWING A COLD START. THIS WILL TYPICALLY OCCUR WHEN THE AMBIENT TEMPERATURE IS APPROXIMATELY 70-90DEGREES F DURING THE OPEN LOOP STAGE. THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE PCM. TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION USING WDS RELEASE B22NM-2 OR LATER. THE LATEST CALIBRATION CONTAINS IMPROVED AIR/FUEL MIXTURE RATIOS.

SYMPTOM CODE TARGETS:
611000 DRIVEABILITY HESITATION/STUMBLE
614000 DRIVEABILITY LACK/LOSS OF POWER

duhtroll
05-22-2003, 04:33 PM
WOW - just reinforces how much I respect this board!

Now - anyone know how I can get my hands on a service manual for this machine?

Thanks,
-A

Black Terror
05-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Marauder Service Manual (http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=FMC&Make=FCT&Model=MAUR&Year=2003&Category=1&Keyword=&mscsid=L6GXBPALRTUJ8H89Q005L8N BJ3JG2771)

TAF
05-22-2003, 08:44 PM
That "Black Terror"....

I'm SO glad he is on our "Team"!!!!!

And if you met him in person like I've had the fortune of...you'd like him even better!!!

JamesHecker
05-22-2003, 10:28 PM
I had the cold surge when the mileage on my car was lower, but I hadn't experienced it for quite some time.

A tech tried to read the PCM to get the code Dennis needs for the chip (which doesn't work per Dennis), so he thought he would flash the update for me while he was at it. Now the car surges at low RPMs! It definatly does not run as well as it did before he flashed it!

Case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it!"

Now I'm just waiting for my driveshaft to show up so I can get the T/C, shaft, gears, chip, plugs, and stat installed.

Mark McQuaide
05-23-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by duhtroll
I have tried to be very gentle with my new car, and have only plowed thru a start a few times since I have owned it.
-A

Maybe it needs the carbon blown out of it.

Kelly
05-23-2003, 07:10 AM
:P What Mark said.

duhtroll
05-23-2003, 07:42 AM
Sure - will look at that too. Just tell me what "it" is that needs the carbon blown out of and I am right on "it." :)

No, really, I don't know.

Thanks,
-A

MAD-3R
05-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Blowing the carbon out is an older excuse for putting your foot in it or just reving at a light. As in "Blowing the carbon out of the Carborator." Sence we don't HAVE carborators, I perfer the term, "Clearling the Fuel Injectors."

Blue Marauder
05-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
Blowing the carbon out is an older excuse for putting your foot in it or just reving at a light. As in "Blowing the carbon out of the Carborator." Sence we don't HAVE carborators, I perfer the term, "Clearling the Fuel Injectors."

Uh, carbon builds up in the cylinders, not the carburetors or fuel injectors.

Anyone remember Bill Cosby's album, "200 MPH." He gets stopped by the cops for speeding in his new Cobra and tells them that he is "just blowin' out the gunk!"

MAD-3R
05-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I know that, but it's what always told the passangers what I was doing. :lol:

frdwrnch
05-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Yes, I remember that. The mechanic "Bob", says in order to "Burn out the gunk" you have to put it in second gear and go oh about 100 mph. When asked where can I do that, "Bob" replies "any side street!"

duhtroll
05-23-2003, 08:14 AM
What about an injector cleaner? I am doing the first oil change tonite. Just a thought.

-A

Mark McQuaide
05-23-2003, 08:53 AM
I'm serious. Run it full throttle to the red line several times. It's meant to be run that way from time to time. Doesn't hurt it!

looking97233
05-26-2003, 11:38 PM
Stay away from the injector cleaners in the bottle. Only one that's worth a damn is the ford one. Ford dealers and some other service shops have this. But it's a new car, injectors shouldn't be dirty. Unless you are running it on crude.

duhtroll
05-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Well, I took it in today to have them reflash the PCM for the hesitation. I also wanted them to replace a burnt out bulb in one of the rear reading lamps and reglue some trim that had come loose around one headlamp.

After a day w/o the MM, I found the only thing they did was replace the rear lamp bulb.

The trim they had to order (along with a new friggin' headlight for gawd's sake since they tell me "it's all one piece" - and this is right after I installed my silverstars too!) so that was not done today. "What mental deficient designed THIS?" is my question. :mad2:

They would not reflash the PCM because now they are being told by Ford that the new program does not meet emissions standards. :bs:

Are they full of crap on this?

BT - I copied verbatim the stuff you posted about the hesitation and they came back that they were not able to find the reference. Maybe this service dept is not as capable as I thought.

Looks like I am going to have to shell out the dough for a service manual because they can't seem to read one. :shake:

Thanks,
-A

UncleLar
05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Make sure they don't grab your Silverstars when did diddle around with your headlights.

jgc61sr2002
05-27-2003, 04:24 PM
The only product to put in the fuel tank is a quality brand of preimum fuel.:)