PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar 411

Dan19063
09-19-2006, 07:08 AM
I tested a little theory I had on clay bars. For any one that has used these products from Zaino or other vendors, it is expensive for the amount of clay you get. And for those of you who have dropped it while cleaning,:bigcry: you know that the bar is wasted unless you want to take the chance of ruining your paint. Here is the deal. I went to the local hobby and craft shop and picked up a nice 1 pound pack of Yellow non-hardening clay for about $4.00 as compared to Zaino which is like $20.00 for 4oz. I chose Yellow because it is easier to see when it gets dirty so you know when to change sides. It worked just as good as any vendor clay bar I have tried for much much less. As a matter of fact I threw a piece on the ground just cause:cool4: ... you know for the hell of it because it was so cheap. You still need to make a solution to spray on the car surface so the clay wont drag, but there you have it. A way cheaper solution for the people who want thier car to be softer then there wifes a__ __ :censor:

KillJoy
09-19-2006, 07:10 AM
I have always had the though that that MAY work. I wonder if the "REAL" Stuff has anything special in it or not?????

As for spray....any detailing spray SHOULD work.

KillJoy

Krytin
09-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks for this Dan!
I was wondering if this wasn't the case - nice detective work!
I will be trying this out.

O's Fan Rich
09-19-2006, 07:13 AM
The spray is just water with some car wash in it... right?

TAF
09-19-2006, 07:18 AM
The spray is just water with some car wash in it... right?

Yes...but, I prefer using the Z-6 though, Rich.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/images/z-6.jpg

Dan19063
09-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Yes the solution that zaino recommends is I think a capful of there car wash solution to 12 oz of water. I never tried using the Z-6 spray

MM2004
09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Yes...but, I prefer using the Z-6 though, Rich.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/images/z-6.jpg

Their car wash and water is fine. Z6 costs a helluva lot more.

Mike.

Rider90
09-19-2006, 02:35 PM
The reason clay sells for what is sells for is because they're specifically classified as Mild and some are Medium. Mild can be used on just about everything and medium is more for serious overspray. As for your hobby lobby Yellow Non-Hardening Clay, I would be cautious as to put that within a foot of my paint. Did you know the Clay Bar is an abrasive? If it works good, keep up the investigation - but it took some kajones to rub that all over your black paint. Not implying that I know anything, some clay lubes will break down certain clays and reduce the longevity and lifespan of that clay bar. Safest route is to use soapy water in a spray bottle if you are not sure.

If the difference is $7.00 to assure the right product is being rubbed into and spread all over my entire car you'll see me at the register handing the $7.00 over. I may be the only one?

BTW - paying $20.00 + S&H for a Z Clay Bar is rediculous. Do the research and you'll find that your local Autozone carries a ClayMagic (or AutoMagic) Clay Bar Kit for $11.99 and the results are nothing short of spectacular. But then again, what do I know...