PDA

View Full Version : Deep Pan Questions

Breadfan
09-21-2006, 01:40 PM
My car is due to a transmission flush (32k on the clock now), and this will be the second flush for me. (First done about 19k)

This time I want to do the filter as well. Usually I like getting the full flush done at the dealer, but afraid that if I ask them to do the filter they will charge a ton more in labor for something I can easily do myself.

So I'm thinking of getting a deep pan and filter and doing that in the driveway. Put Mercon V in to top it off and then head to the dealer for a full flush.

A few quick questions:

1.) I can reuse the stock gasket right? Or will it be damaged when I remove the pan? Should I purchase another OEM rubber gasket?

2.) Heard there is an extra hole that may need to be plugged on the new pan (Ford Racing or Art Carr) - is this so and if so what do I need to plug it?

3.) What are the torque specs for reinstalling the pan (or is that in the instructions which I was planning to toss out anyway, duh!)

4.) From what I've read sounds like I may need about 5 quarts to top off with the pan swap. I'll probably get a few more to be safe...sound about right? (Yep it'll be Mercon V)

I think that's all for now...with the blower I figure a deep pan and filter swap followed by my routine flush will be good preventive maintenance.

RF Overlord
09-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Breadfan, it sounds like you've got everything covered.

Yes, the OEM gasket is designed to be re-usable...no need to buy another unless the OEM gets damaged from mishandling.

Torque spec for the stock pan bolts is 10 ft/lbs...if it's different for your replacement pan, it should be listed in the instructions.

A drain-and-fill with the stock pan (not replacing the filter) needs just under 4 quarts. The FRPP/Art Carr/etc pans hold either 1 or 2 quarts more.

crouse
09-21-2006, 02:12 PM
PM jdando. He just installed his Ford deep pan a few weeks ago and he also also helped another member with the extra hole issues with his B&M pan.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30097

Curt

Breadfan
09-21-2006, 03:04 PM
The FRPP pan is specific for our trans not one that fits both ours trans and the AOD-E, so I take it it does not have the extra hole?

jdando
09-22-2006, 04:33 AM
If you buy the "correct" Ford Pan it fits our transmission. The B&M pan fits several types and has the "extra" hole (it also has slightly more capacity).

I installed my pan, reused the OEM gasket and torqued to 10 ft-lb.

The Ford pan has a magnetic drain plug so you will not use the stock magnet.

Be carefully when doing the filter change, the filter has a seal which needs to come out of the bore it sits in. It is easy to forget this and then try to re-install the new filter with two seals (it won't fit).

You will need a special socket head to fit the M8 bolts if you are going to use a torque wrench. Also you will need a allen wrench to tighted the two bolts towards the rear of the car, since the cross member gets in the way.

Have some kitty litter available.

PS Mercon V really smells

PM me if this does not make sense, I have been up most of the night and have not had enough coffee yet.:sleepy:
jeremy

Joe Walsh
09-22-2006, 04:43 AM
If you buy the "correct" Ford Pan it fits our transmission. The B&M pan fits several types and has the "extra" hole (it also has slightly more capacity).

I installed my pan, reused the OEM gasket and torqued to 10 ft-lb.

The Ford pan has a magnetic drain plug so you will not use the stock magnet.

Be carefully when doing the filter change, the filter has a seal which needs to come out of the bore it sits in. It is easy to forget this and then try to re-install the new filter with two seals (it won't fit).

You will need a special socket head to fit the M8 bolts if you are going to use a torque wrench. Also you will need a allen wrench to tighted the two bolts towards the rear of the car, since the cross member gets in the way.

Have some kitty litter available.

PS Mercon V really smells

PM me if this does not make sense, I have been up most of the night and have not had enough coffee yet.:sleepy:
jeremy

Get a BIG WIDE drain pan or else Mercon fluid will be everywhere when you 'break' the pan away from the gasket.

3-4 quarts of Mercon fluid looks like 3-4 gallons when it is dripping all over the place.

SergntMac
09-22-2006, 05:47 AM
The correct Ford Racing pan for the 4R70/75W tranny is M-7195-4R. Page 133 of the '06 catalogue. No extra holes, and it comes with the correct Allen head bolts. Adds two quarts in Mercon V capacity.

Gasket should be reusable, depending on age and wear and tear. If you are unsure, have a replacement on hand? Being under the car with the pan off is not the time to decide a gasket replacement.

Changing the pan and filter, and topping off fluid before a flush is the best approach. Might seem wasteful of the fresh ATF, but the flush is more effective in circulating out old fluid from internals, such as the torque converter.

Be aware that most flush "sales" are priced on a predetermined and uniform amount of fresh fluid, you may have to pay extra for the additional capacity for a full fluid exchange.

When you check your fluid level, the fluid should be heated to normal operating temps, 'cause it will expand in use. In the event you come to overfill capacity, the overfill will flow out a vent on the top of the tranny. Thus, it will drip and leak everywhere. Stay calm, you didn't break anything. Just get under the car and clean everything off with brake cleaner. It will subside when the fluid levels off.

Happy motoring!

Breadfan
09-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I should be all set to do this then, I've got the allen-head sockets already to torque things, and a nice big drain pan. Typically when I do a transmission pan removal I remove the rear bolts and side bolts and loosen the front ones, that way I can pull the back off effectively "tilting" the pan and letting fluid drain out the back first. Doesn't remove the full mess of things but helps a bit.

Thanks for the tips on the filter too.

And yep I do still plan to get the flush afterwards, I agree it's the best way to get all the old fluid out.

Zack
09-22-2006, 10:11 AM
So basically you are gonna put a new filter in with a few quarts of new fluid, then drive to the dealer, all the while circulating old, dirty fluid through your new filter?
Do I have this straight?

Grifter
09-22-2006, 11:06 AM
I just got done doing the B&M pan.
If you go with that one (i did because i wanted +3 quarts), you will want the 4wd filter. The B&M also comes with a magnetic drain plug. The directions tell you about the extra hole, but tell you nothing about plugging it, nor do they supply you a plug. I bought a #000 rubber plug (whiopping 24 cents)and made that squeeze into the hole. no drips or leaks.

We avoided getting ATF all over the place by having 2 people take the pan down. if you each lay on opposite sides of the car, and remove all the bolts, hold teh pan level and set it into your drain pan, and if you both are good, you can do it w/o spilling a drop. pulling the filter made more of a mess than dropping the pan.

I'm happy with my B&M pan, despite the lack of directions telling you to plug that hole..

Breadfan
09-22-2006, 12:06 PM
So basically you are gonna put a new filter in with a few quarts of new fluid, then drive to the dealer, all the while circulating old, dirty fluid through your new filter?
Do I have this straight?

Yeah.

The current fluid is only 15k old. The new filter will only circulate that for a few miles. Money saved in labor helps pay for the deep pan. Knowing dealer labor rates I can't let them do the filter for me, it goes against my personality.

AstroVic
09-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Since you now have the fancy pan with the drain plug, why not just drain it and refill it several times over the next 1,000 miles or so?

Would that be just about as effective as the flush? And a lot cheaper, too?

I appreciate this thread and all of the comments. I'm about to put the FRPP pan on my Marauder in the next month or two, so this is coming in handy. :)

jdando
09-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Since you now have the fancy pan with the drain plug, why not just drain it and refill it several times over the next 1,000 miles or so?

Would that be just about as effective as the flush? And a lot cheaper, too?

I think that is the general thought that I have also. But a flush would get everything off to a good start, rather than doing the drain/fill to get to get there.

Basically I will get 6-7 quarts of Mercon V out per drain. So three-four drain/fill should change everything over. At $4/quart for Mercon V this will run me $110 (+$5 for kitty litter:help:). The dealer charges me about $180 for a flush(stock capacity) or $280 for a pan drop:eek:.

Another benefit is working with my pit crew
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/1/0/2/trannyteamb.jpg

Had most of the neighbor kids helping out with my pan install.

jeremy

ctrlraven
09-29-2006, 10:35 PM
I hope your paying them with cookies cause you know how child labor laws are nowadays lol