PDA

View Full Version : +1 for Turtle Wax Ice

Breadfan
09-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, when I first saw "Ice" on the market, I was a tad skeptical. When I saw the price for a setup (about $15, includes bottle of Ice wax, applicator, and microfiber polishing cloth), I figured no need to bother trying it since I had a virtually brand new (and just about as costly) bottle of NXT sitting in my wash bucket.

But after merc showed me ice up close at a car show, I changed my mind about trying it.

I bought the setup last week, but didn't get a chance to use it. Tonight I went out and washed my car. Finished washing about 7:40 and it was already dark out. Bummer.

Then I figured...hmmm...what better time to try it!

So yes I waxed my car at night under flood lights.

In that kind of light spiderwebbing is very esay to see. The difference between unwaxed and ice was very very noticable, as much or more as with any other hand polish I've used (Zymol, NXT, etc.)

Even better, when I was doing the hood I starting coming to the front, near the headlight moldings and grille. Dang...always get white residue there if I'm not careful.

I threw caution to the wind and went right over all the black plastic and groove between the grille and front clip. Absolutely no residue and if anything it made the plastic look nicer!

This wax appears to be as good as any hand polish wax. It's equal or better to all I've tried in areas that count such as finish, ease of application, and ease or removal.

There is absolutely no dust. No white residue caught in cracks, and any spot you miss has a very light glaze rather than dried white powder on it.

For a black car, I'm totally digging this stuff. I know many will say a standard polish with a porter-cable will yeild better results and maybe it will but I'll be honest I don't have the time to do that every other weekend. I did nearly all of the car in ice in about 25 minutes and it looked great when I was done, no going back over with a qtip to clean up residue.

So, Turtle Wax "Ice" gets a thumbs up from me!

Bluerauder
09-26-2006, 08:35 PM
But after merc showed me ice up close at a car show, I changed my mind about trying it.
He gave me a similar "Ice" demo at the PW Cruiser's Car Show. I agree.

+1

AstroVic
09-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Funny this thread started...

I just bought some Turtle Wax Ice the other night. I've only had the opportunity to do the hood, but it seemed to work REALLY well. I agree with everything Breadfan said. No white powder, no caked up cracks and creases, and very easy to apply and remove.

I wonder how well it really protects the finish and how well it holds up in the long haul? I guess time will tell.

So far, so good.

I also got the Ice detailing spray.

This weekend, the car is getting a seriously thorough wash job, a full clay bar treatment, and two or three coats of Turtle Wax Ice.

teamrope
09-26-2006, 10:12 PM
One of my neighbors is retired USAF and works at a parts store. He used it on his car and his wife said it looked better than it did when it was new. He told me I should try it. Maybe I will now. :)

SergntMac
09-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Thanks!

I love reading new product review from the end user point of view.

fastblackmerc
09-27-2006, 05:56 AM
You can't beat the ICE detailing spray. Especially when detailing the car at a show.. black car in the hot sunlight.... Everytime I do it many people ask what I use.... no streaks at all!!:banana:

eric jones
09-27-2006, 06:22 AM
The Ice is very good and I am all for it. It works best for me when I use the NXT Gen Spray Wax and then follow it up with the Ice. You will be amazed!!!!!

ScottB
09-27-2006, 07:52 AM
wow, I just picked some up too. I wanted to see if it would handle the sun and heat better than traditional stuff.

What is the difference between the polish and the detailer? Anything other than application technique?

BruteForce
09-27-2006, 07:53 AM
I also gave Turtle Wax Ice a try last week. Applied/removed by hand in 75 degree direct sunlight. Its tricky taking it off 'cause the haze is nearly invisible but you can feel it as "dry" resistance when buffing with the cloth.

Nice glossy wet look and took half the time of NXT with a buffer. Next time I'm going to try taking it off with a buffer and see if the result is any glossier that way.

Shora
09-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Let me get this straight, this can be applied in direct sunlight? I know that NXT suggests shade and cool to the touch car.

Ken
09-27-2006, 08:34 AM
I also picked it up about a month ago, was very impressed. Tried it in the afternoon sun, before going to Quaker Steak. Bringing it with me to Oktoberfest, since its supposed to be cold and rainy all this weekend. Praying for nice weather in Indiana.

Ken

RedMerc04
09-27-2006, 09:09 AM
How does it do with small scratches and Swirl marks? Ive been using Zymol and havent really been happy with the way it works with Light scratches/swirls. I think Ill give it a try this weekend anyway

KillJoy
09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
I tried this a while ago. I have decided to not use it. I will bring the bottle I purchased to the Oktoberfest Meet. If anyone there would like it, you may have it, free of charge :D

KillJoy

LordVader
09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
ICE was designed to be put on in direct sunlight (so the product claims). I have used it twice and it seems to hold up pretty well. We get a lot of rain here and it still looks good.

gonzo50
09-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I tried this a while ago. I have decided to not use it. I will bring the bottle I purchased to the Oktoberfest Meet. If anyone there would like it, you may have it, free of charge :D
KillJoy
Why did you decide not to use this product ?:confused:

KillJoy
09-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Why did you decide not to use this product ?:confused:

I really did not see any difference over what I was already using, and I am not too fond of "spray on wax".

Everyone is allowed their own opinion ;)

KillJoy

BruteForce
09-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I really did not see any difference over what I was already using, and I am not too fond of "spray on wax".

Everyone is allowed their own opinion ;)

KillJoy

Spray on? Stuff I have is liquid (like watery baby oil) and goes on with a foam applicator like any other wax. Are you sure you got the wax and not the detailer spray?

KillJoy
09-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Hmmm....could be. I'll check tomorrow.

KillJoy

ScottB
09-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Spray on? Stuff I have is liquid (like watery baby oil) and goes on with a foam applicator like any other wax. Are you sure you got the wax and not the detailer spray?

What is the difference? I assumed the bottle was the only difference, but maybe not?

BruteForce
09-27-2006, 07:22 PM
What is the difference? I assumed the bottle was the only difference, but maybe not?

Detailer is just fior touchups. You need a base coat of the wax first. Actually they call it a polish not a wax.

ctrlraven
09-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Yes ICE is designed to be put on in the sun and it can do that because its completely clear from color. I have been using it since it first came out on the market and I won't use anything else because it does a great and its not a pain to do. ICE is a synthetic polish, it is not a true wax but my car is a daily driver and sees everything from bugs, dirt, dust and pollen. I take a damp rag wipe the car down then dry it and its good like now or I will just wash it. If you high pressure water spray on it, it will last 2-3 car washes before starts to lose its smoothness but it takes me I dunno 10-15 mins to apply the polish, wait 5-6 mins then just buff away. The stuff in the spray bottle is the "in-between" detailer spray. The kit you want KillJoy comes in a pkg with a bottle that has a blue top and a blue microfiber pad. I get mine at advance auto parts/auto zone for $14.95. I think it's a great buy for the price, looks great (esp on black!) and the best part about it, it's so easy to do your KIDS OR WIFE could do it while you sit back pop a cold one and then do some manly buffing. :D

eric jones
09-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Red Merc, the Ice does not do well on swirl or scratches. This stuff will shine whatever it is put onto and that is good. That's why I suggest using some other kind of wax first.

Dr Caleb
09-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Red Merc, the Ice does not do well on swirl or scratches. This stuff will shine whatever it is put onto and that is good. That's why I suggest using some other kind of wax first.

Exactally. I still use maguires 'fine cut' and scratch removers with a random buffer. Then Glaze, and top with Gold wax.

Then the Ice. Follow up with detailer inbetween. I've only had to do this once this summer, as it spent too much time in the driveway and not the highway - but it still looks like it was fresh waxed yesterday.

KillJoy
09-28-2006, 09:48 AM

I stand corrected. What I have is not a spray on product. It is in the pour bottle.

Also, I agree....it shows every little defect in the paint.

KillJoy

MGM02
09-29-2006, 07:07 AM
I know I don't post,I lurk and read alot but I had to add a comment here.I love this stuff.Here is a few pics of my GM detailed in "ICE".Everything was done with it except for the tires and windows..........
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Billsphotosnstuff/Trucks%20from%20work/The%20MERC/Carandsunrise010.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Billsphotosnstuff/Trucks%20from%20work/The%20MERC/Carandsunrise012.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Billsphotosnstuff/Trucks%20from%20work/The%20MERC/Carandsunrise013.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Billsphotosnstuff/Trucks%20from%20work/The%20MERC/Carandsunrise014.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Billsphotosnstuff/Trucks%20from%20work/The%20MERC/Carandsunrise011.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Billsphotosnstuff/Trucks%20from%20work/The%20MERC/Carandsunrise010.jpg

Mike M
09-29-2006, 08:00 PM
This stuff is GREAT!!!
I will never ever go back to normal polish wax again. It's as easy as wiping your car with water. Put it on everything...plastic-rubber trim...doesn't really matter. It's clear like water. I want to have the inventors baby.

RedMerc04
09-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Okay cool. It would be nice if it did but hey what are ya gonna do? The Next Sunny day I get Ill use the meguiars 3 step system and then maybe if Im feeling ambitious ill try the Ice

ckadiddle
12-04-2006, 02:52 PM
OK.... I used Turtle Wax Ice prior to MVIV. I have owned Blue Thunder for two years and it has not had any polishing or waxing other than the stuff that got sprayed on in the automated car wash in all that time. No hand polish, no clay bar, no Porter Cable buffering. Yeah, I know. :alone: But I kept it washed....

So I ran it through the car wash, drove it home and had a friend help me Ice it. I had researched on the web, problem most frequently encountered is getting too much on the applicator, so I was very sparing, just a few drops at a time. Here are the photos I took after we finished.... it was cloudy and getting dark, so photos aren't the best, but you get the idea...
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/ckadiddle/photos024.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/ckadiddle/photos032.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/ckadiddle/photos031.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/ckadiddle/photos029.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/ckadiddle/photos025.jpg

Some of your guys saw the shine at MVIV. These photos really don't do it justice. Not enough sunlight to really make it sparkle.

This chit is niiiiiiiiiiice!! Made the headlights and tail lights look like glass. It'll shine tires too, but i gotta learn to use something disposable to put it on the tires with. DOH!! Lotta dirt on the tires even right after a carwash. LOL Awesome sparkle on the wheels. It goes on very easy, comes off VERY easily. Very little wiping to bring up a gloss. If there had been time I would have done a second coat, it was so easy. Keep in mind I am probably the laziest MM owner in Florida.

I know some of you love the washing, buffing, and detailing of your cars as much as the car itself. That just isn't me! I want it to be clean and shiny so I can enjoy driving it, but I don't want to spend six or eight hours just on cleaning and shining the car - we gots places to go! I figured the worst I could do was waste a little cash on something I would never use. Heck, I bought the polish and detailer at KMart, cost me maybe 25 bucks if that much. I got my money's worth already just having it look nice for a few days at Marauderville! It's a month and several car washes later, and the shine still looks as good.

ckadiddle
12-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Next Turtle Wax Ice project is the wife's black 2000 Mustang GT. It'll be a piece of cake, much less body panels to polish compared to a hardtop MM. Won't take long to do at all.

This stuff kind reminds me of some Amway polish I used decades ago that would polish anything to a slippery shine. It made the fridge so slick the magnets wouldn't stay up, kept sliding to the bottom.

Sad comment on Ford factory paint:
The body panels that have had to be repainted feel much much smoother than the factory paint. And yes, I was fondling my Marauder in the front yard in full view of the neighbors. ;)

ckadiddle
01-08-2007, 03:03 PM
OK, update time. It's been two months since Turtle Wax Ice was applied. Still looks as good as when we first applied it. My car is outside under trees at home, in a parking garage during weekdays when I am at work. Still gets real dusty in the garage at work due to constant downtown construction. The Ice is so dang shiny, even when the car is really dirty, it reflects light through the dirt. Have not used detailer spray on the body yet, just a few car washes in the last two months. I am still impressed.

Marauder2005
01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, when I first saw "Ice" on the market, I was a tad skeptical. When I saw the price for a setup (about $15, includes bottle of Ice wax, applicator, and microfiber polishing cloth), I figured no need to bother trying it since I had a virtually brand new (and just about as costly) bottle of NXT sitting in my wash bucket.

I bought the setup last week, but didn't get a chance to use it. Tonight I went out and washed my car. Finished washing about 7:40 and it was already dark out. Bummer.

Then I figured...hmmm...what better time to try it!

So yes I waxed my car at night under flood lights.

In that kind of light spiderwebbing is very esay to see. The difference between unwaxed and ice was very very noticable, as much or more as with any other hand polish I've used (Zymol, NXT, etc.)

Even better, when I was doing the hood I starting coming to the front, near the headlight moldings and grille. Dang...always get white residue there if I'm not careful.

I threw caution to the wind and went right over all the black plastic and groove between the grille and front clip. Absolutely no residue and if anything it made the plastic look nicer!

This wax appears to be as good as any hand polish wax. It's equal or better to all I've tried in areas that count such as finish, ease of application, and ease or removal.

There is absolutely no dust. No white residue caught in cracks, and any spot you miss has a very light glaze rather than dried white powder on it.

For a black car, I'm totally digging this stuff. I know many will say a standard polish with a porter-cable will yeild better results and maybe it will but I'll be honest I don't have the time to do that every other weekend. I did nearly all of the car in ice in about 25 minutes and it looked great when I was done, no going back over with a qtip to clean up residue.

So, Turtle Wax "Ice" gets a thumbs up from me!

If you ever have a chance try Zaino, its simply amazing.