PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum era: Fighting hard for reliability

snowbird
09-27-2006, 06:04 PM
I was planning a smooth sailing for summer: doing a sturdy aluminum box to replace the generic battery holder that showed sign of fatigue and doing an aluminum box to cover and protect from water invasion the methanol controller that was triggering itself up when going to those high pressure car wash.

But keeping a modded car in top shape is not as easy as first though. Starting at the end of June 06, here is my summer’s surprises to keep my wallet thin and my smile a bit cramped:

- Methanol pressure gauge dead ==> replaced
- Methanol hoses getting out of fitting (big fire hazard to boot) : ==> replaced with machined braided lines, a month long project of research and a nightmare to fit with a kit made to be working with cheaper plastic hoses. But done successfully.
- Idler pulley bearing on the blower dead: ==> replaced
- methanol pump dead ==> replaced. Still fighting for warranty just for the sake of it. I won’t comment on how happy I was to partially redo the whole methanol kit install three times in 6 weeks, besides the aluminum box cover mini project !
- Intake air temperature gauge dead (in fact, it was the electronic box under the dash that read and interpret the probe). Replaced after a month of research since my local speedshop guy told me that Autometer had decided to stop production. We did found an unsold one and replaced it under warranty. :(

And there was that track of pressurized tubing that I wanted to change while relocating the intercooler away from the radiator heat and that surge valve that appeared in harms way under the driver fender. I did ordered some parts before leaving to Virginia beach last month.

On my way to the beach, in Maryland, I catched a beated and bented aluminum fish nest lying on the highway. It rattled the underside a few times and after a quick check, I saw a one inch hole in the rubber joiner holding the surge valve. Great. Came back home without more problem though. :rasta:

Below, a few pics of the pressurized piping: one piece to go to the IC, two pieces to go back to the throttle body while accommodating the IATS and the relocated proflo surge valve in a protected nest of rad hoses and the stock throttle body elbow sawed and rewelded to clear the oil dispstick. I also sprayed the aluminum pipes with clear paint to help protect them from road grimes and corrosion.

While doing the piping, I grossly underestimated the role of the surge valve and attempted to unplugged temporarily while doing a trip to the welder shop but the car started to act like digestive waste so I had to put it back in a hurry. I planned to find a replacement valve but it looked harder than though as nobody could suggest a suitable replacement. I’m still looking and if somebody have some suggestion, they’re welcome.

Anyway, the rush is over. Everything is now back functional. I learned a few things and I saved some weight with the aluminum in the process. The battery is protected, as the meth kit, the piping and surge valve. I also gained a few inches underside the car so I’ll be able to lower it a bit more in the front eventually. Mucho dinero though.

I’m back smiling uncramped, enjoying the beast, still happy that even if my set-up Is a bit complex with all those gauges and that methanol kit, it is as safe as can be for a commuter that have to start every morning and do his job with only 91 octane rating. So far, it always did after 20 000 N/A miles and about the same amount since 15 months, with the Procharger kit. :)

maraudernkc
09-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Yvon, it looks like you have been hard at work. You should show a photo of your wallet. How is your car running on your gas there? What kind of RWHP numbers are you making?

Take care, Greg

HwyCruiser
09-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Yvon, I'd pretty much have to say you show your Marauder no mercy. Maybe a new Procharger ProFlo bypass located high like you have yours now would be a good solution since it won't be as exposed to the road salt and keep the actuator linkage oiled with WD-40. Since mine doesn't see much snow I'm not overly concerned with it but I did relocate it a little higher when I relocated the intercooler.

EDIT: It may be worth checking out the Bosch 114 bypass valve if your looking for an aftermarket alternative to the ProFlo bypass valve (no exposed linkage). See your local VW dealer under part # ending 710N. Seems like the Mustang guys use this with success up to 15 psi.

snowbird
09-28-2006, 02:58 AM
Yvon, it looks like you have been hard at work. You should show a photo of your wallet. How is your car running on your gas there? What kind of RWHP numbers are you making?

Take care, Greg
Greg,

Here's how thick is my wallet after a 100X picture taken under a microscope: "__________" !!

The tune is fine now with 91 as i didn't had any issue since 4 months and 14 000 thousands miles. The car had drinked fuel from about 10-12 states in the USA and 2 CDN provinces without a glitch. The last "detune" with Lidio did it and i have another one in store with 2 degree less but i'm pretty confident i won't need it. Right now, it is making 413 RWHP and 374 RWTQ. IMO, a safe 91 octane cost about 10% of throughput compare with 94 tune.

snowbird
09-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Yvon, I'd pretty much have to say you show your Marauder no mercy. Maybe a new Procharger ProFlo bypass located high like you have yours now would be a good solution since it won't be as exposed to the road salt and keep the actuator linkage oiled with WD-40. Since mine doesn't see much snow I'm not overly concerned with it but I did relocate it a little higher when I relocated the intercooler.

EDIT: It may be worth checking out the Bosch 114 bypass valve if your looking for an aftermarket alternative to the ProFlo bypass valve (no exposed linkage). See your local VW dealer under part # ending 710N. Seems like the Mustang guys use this with success up to 15 psi.
JD,

The surge valve have a big role offboost that i didn,t know about. I initially thought that it was only working when letting off the throttle after a big highboost cycle. When i took it off in one of my multiple steps to the welder (the car had to be kept running in between each "steps"), the car jerked and stalled anywhere it could at 1500 rpm N/a with a feather light throttle.

I had bought a neat billet aluminum replacement from Superchargers online but the inner diameter being smaller, i had to change my mind about trying to install it after i saw how sensible the car is to the stock valve. The new location is a keeper now with my usage and i'm very happy with it. I'll check on those Bosh when i have a minute.

EDIT Here's a few more pics: The 1/8" thick aluminum battery cover to stand the way my teens are packing the trunk, the meth umbrella cover that still permit filling but cover carwash attack, the gutted elbow to clear the oil dipstick and the top of the installed IC in line with the lower grille line, stealthier than ever !!. The bottom of the IC is inline with the bottom lip of the bumper. I was expecting lost of air flow in it's new location but the IAT gauge is showing no difference. The water temp needle though, hover a bit lower, showing the radiator is now happier not having the IC right on his nose.

Yvon