PDA

View Full Version : Mustang O/R X-pipe question....

MarauderMarc
09-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey, will a standard Off Road X-pipe for the Mustang fit a Marauder without any clearance issues or anything???

STLR FN
09-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Will fit but need to extend the "tails" about 4" past the cats due to the longer Panther wheelbase.

Vortech347
10-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Which pipe would you order then? One for a mach or cobra? (for use with stock manifolds) I'd love to stick a non-catted X on mine.

94_302
10-01-2006, 06:23 AM
I believe any 99-03 4.6 mid pipe will work (but not with the stock manifolds). I don't think it made a difference between 4 valves or not. My catted X is for a 99-03 mustang from VRS that mates up to some cobra manifolds. They just had to add a bit to the end to get it to match up.

RoyLPita
10-01-2006, 06:44 AM
The right side flange is flat and oval shaped on the Mustang. The MM manifold flange is round like the left side.

mad1stgen
10-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I believe any 99-03 4.6 mid pipe will work (but not with the stock manifolds). I don't think it made a difference between 4 valves or not. My catted X is for a 99-03 mustang from VRS that mates up to some cobra manifolds. They just had to add a bit to the end to get it to match up.

Do you have a pic of it installed ? Did the cats clear the trans pan ok ? Thanx !!!

94_302
10-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Do you have a pic of it installed ? Did the cats clear the trans pan ok ? Thanx !!!

Yeah everything cleared fine, here is the thread on it with some pics.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28765

SergntMac
10-01-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't understand the rationale for improving the exhaust system on a Marauder, and leaving the OEM manifolds in place. This is the first (and worst) bottleneck of the OEM exhaust system. The stock exhaust system can be improved, but this plan doesn't add up to improvement, IMHO.

The best of best results will be a loss of RWTQ in the lower RPMs (like we have any we can afford to lose?), with a slight gain in RWHP in high RPMs, not to mention tuning issues and possible emissions complications.

But, there's a lot of stuff in this world I don't understand...

mad1stgen
10-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah everything cleared fine, here is the thread on it with some pics.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28765

Thank you. As far as clearances go, are the cats/piping lower than the bottom of the trans pan ?

I hate the header noise my set of Kooks 3/4s produces and it's time to step down to 03 cobra manifolds with quiet exhaust.

Thanx again !

ScottB
10-02-2006, 08:07 AM
I don't understand the rationale for improving the exhaust system on a Marauder, and leaving the OEM manifolds in place. This is the first (and worst) bottleneck of the OEM exhaust system. The stock exhaust system can be improved, but this plan doesn't add up to improvement, IMHO....

The manifolds aren't that bad really. Consider SVO shorties; they don't add anything at all.

Some of this comes from mustang oriented folks too; the two marauder's I've looked under had the cleanest factory exhaust job I've ever seen. Most mustangs, OTOH, usually have a mess from cats back to tips. So its just mustang habit really. That and the B-heads can see a significant improvement just by opening the exhaust up. Although the Mach1 5-speed really wakes up with an offroad, but they can compensate for the loss end the bottom (less weight and manual shifting). I would do it if I were racing, not worth it for cruising IMO.

MarauderMarc
10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't understand the rationale for improving the exhaust system on a Marauder, and leaving the OEM manifolds in place. This is the first (and worst) bottleneck of the OEM exhaust system. The stock exhaust system can be improved, but this plan doesn't add up to improvement, IMHO.

The best of best results will be a loss of RWTQ in the lower RPMs (like we have any we can afford to lose?), with a slight gain in RWHP in high RPMs, not to mention tuning issues and possible emissions complications.

But, there's a lot of stuff in this world I don't understand...

Who said anything about stock manifolds? FYI this is for a friend at work that has a Marauder. He loves the sound of my O/R X pipe on my Stang. Hed be getting shorty headers as well as mufflers. He doesnt make much $$$ so hes wants something cheaper than a DR or Kooks setup. If you think about it, shortys, o/r x pipe, flowmasters are @ 700-750$. Not bad for a budget exhaust.

BTW,Mac, by putting ONLY the UPR o/r x pipe on my car, I gained 14rwhp and 6rwtq. Not bad for 159$

94_302
10-02-2006, 12:07 PM
If he is looking for a budget setup I would say look for a used set of cobra manifolds. I was lucky and picked up a set for $30, I picked them up while I was in Jax so no shipping. But he should be able to find some for $50 or so, just have some patience and look around on svtperformance.

mad1stgen the cats do appear to go a little bit lower than the trans pan. Have you thought about just getting some quieter mufflers? Call or send VRS an e-mail, their site. (http://vrsexhaust.com/index.html)

KillJoy
10-02-2006, 12:23 PM
If you think about it, shortys, o/r x pipe, flowmasters are @ 700-750$.

First off....get a set of used Cobra Manifolds, and then a Magnaflow catted x-pipe. You will be WELL under that price.

BTW,Mac, by putting ONLY the UPR o/r x pipe on my car, I gained 14rwhp and 6rwtq. Not bad for 159$

So, you are telling us that a UPR o/r x-pipe will mount up to the factory manifolds in a MM w/o any modifications? Or is this on a Mustang?

KillJoy

MarauderMarc
10-02-2006, 12:26 PM
So, you are telling us that a UPR o/r x-pipe will mount up to the factory manifolds in a MM w/o any modifications? Or is this on a Mustang?

KillJoy

Sorry, that was on my 2001 Mustang GT...

SergntMac
10-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Who said anything about stock manifolds?

BTW,Mac, by putting ONLY the UPR o/r x pipe on my car, I gained 14rwhp and 6rwtq. Not bad for 159$Stock manifolds are mentioned a few times in this thread, but what's not been made clear is in what application, what car?

Indeed you added some exhaust parts to a 2001 Mustang GT, which has a 2V engine. Different animal from a Marauder, eh?

And you gained 14 RWHP and 6 RWTQ, for a 159 dollar investment. 'Bout right, I suppose. But, those gains are in peak and SAE numbers at the end of the pull.

I didn't say you wouldn't get any performance, but I did say it would be a trade off, trading low end torque for high end HP. That's not good for a heavy car with a natural low end power challenge inherrent to it's engine design.

So...What happened in the low range, from zero to the beginning of the power curve? I'm willing to bet that you gave up some low end torque, it's usually what happens when you open up the pipes, and not address other bottlenecks. What you got, is about right for an X pipe.

When I did the DR exhaust kit (Cobra manfolds, larger OD exhaust pipes, high flow cats and matching X pipe, into Magnaflow mufflers) I did the "before and after" thingy too. Hell, the kit went on while the car was still strapped to the dyno. +30 RWHP, and +30 RWTQ gains, for about 1200 bucks, total. Yeah, a few more coins, but 30 and 30...Do the math?

Torque moves the car, and you should want to protect and improve as much low end torque as possible.

94_302
10-02-2006, 03:39 PM
When I did the DR exhaust kit (Cobra manfolds, larger OD exhaust pipes, high flow cats and matching X pipe, into Magnaflow mufflers) I did the "before and after" thingy too. Hell, the kit went on while the car was still strapped to the dyno. +30 RWHP, and +30 RWTQ gains, for about 1200 bucks, total. Yeah, a few more coins, but 30 and 30...Do the math?

Was that on the blown 1x or the n/a?

STLR FN
10-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Was that on the blown 1x or the n/a?On the KB 1x.

IIRC the SB still has the stock exhaust unless that has changed in the last few months. Mac?????

94_302
10-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah I didnt think it would be possible to get those gains n/a unless you went with a long tube setup.