PDA

View Full Version : Blown Marauder

maraudernkc
10-03-2006, 08:58 AM
There is a FIT kit in the classifieds for $2500.00. I know who I sold this to but won't say any names. From my understanding this car was traded to a dealership where they did what dealerships do best and blew the motor. This kit is only three months old. It is missing only minor parts and I am willing to help someone that wants to buy this kit get it back on the road.

Just pm me.

Thanks, Greg

Cheeseheadbob
10-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Was it some jacka$$ sales guy? Probably filled up with 89 and went WOT...:shake:
There is a FIT kit in the classifieds for $2500.00. I know who I sold this to but won't say any names. From my understanding this car was traded to a dealership where they did what dealerships to best and blew the motor. This kit is only three months old. It is missing only minor parts and I am willing to help someone that wants to buy this kit get it back on the road.

Just pm me.

Thanks, Greg

fairlane347
10-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Was it some jacka$$ sales guy? Probably filled up with 89 and went WOT...:shake:

Yeah, wrong gas. I don't know who drove it. I am inquiring about it. Thanks to F.I.T. for the help.
:D

Dragcity
10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Hmmm,

Maybe this is my 'second chance'

Still can't afford it though....

KillJoy
10-03-2006, 09:22 AM
I saw the listing last night and gave a few buds the heads-up :D

This would be a great kit....especially for <$3K!

KillJoy

Bigdogjim
10-03-2006, 10:29 AM
I bet the guy at dealership got a raise:laugh:

Sorry back on track!

Marauderman
10-03-2006, 11:26 AM
I bet the guy at dealership got a raise:laugh:

Sorry back on track!

yeah , probably right BD.....telling his supers.."..see , I told ya I would find out it had a weakness.....".....and they in turn saying...." wow, it's a good thing you knew what you were doing so we wouldn't have sold that and have to be blamed...".....wheres there're sign!!!!

Peter
10-03-2006, 01:20 PM
There is a FIT kit in the classifieds for $2500.00. I know who I sold this to but won't say any names. From my understanding this car was traded to a dealership where they did what dealerships do best and blew the motor. This kit is only three months old. It is missing only minor parts and I am willing to help someone that wants to buy this kit get it back on the road.

Just pm me.

Thanks, Greg

Awww....Poor Motor :bigcry:

Would you ship it to Canada?

Eric91Z
10-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Man, I would love to jump on this deal if I had the cash. I want to get "blown" so bad. The car just needs it. Oh well, guess I will have to be patient.

Peter
10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Man, I would love to jump on this deal if I had the cash. I want to get "blown" so bad. The car just needs it. Oh well, guess I will have to be patient.

*whistles* Wooo! What a beuatifull Marauder you have :bows:

MikesMerc
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I want to get "blown" so bad.

Sounds like a marital issue :D

Eric91Z
10-03-2006, 03:44 PM
*whistles* Wooo! What a beuatifull Marauder you have :bows:

Thanks. Wish it could look like that all the time. At least she cleans up nicely.

merc6
10-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Wish I had that cash on me.

snowbird
10-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Looks like a good deal. Half the price, just about.

Too bad that there are still people who thinks they can get away with it by flooring it without checking one thing or two on a newly installed supercharger set-up ==> blown engine ... hence the name. Another typical horror story.
No discipline = bad surprise ! :rolleyes:

Its weird that i also feel bad for the engine !

Ed Tarras
10-03-2006, 07:45 PM
So let me understand something. If I have a blower installed, do I need to baby it?

HwyCruiser
10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
So let me understand something. If I have a blower installed, do I need to baby it?

I baby the heck out of my Marauder. I keep up on the maintenance religiously and keep it clean. Do I drive it like I'm afraid of blowing it up? Heck no, but I've learned its personality and can tell when I'm getting overly aggressive with it - and its threshold is more than a spin around the block.

BigSlim drove my car in during MVIII and had me grabbing for the oh-***** handle a couple of times but I wasn't worried about the engine going, although I was a little concerned about my lunch. I've thrown my keys to a couple of other people and I've been amazed at the general lack of temperance displayed. This isn't a slam on Slim, I knew he was already used to a supercharged Marauder and knew what to expect, but others had no idea when they drop the hammer. I've just been happy that they kept it between the ditches.

I figure the average person treats their personal property with a great deal more respect than an owner-less car sitting out on the used car lot. Did they put 89 octane in a supercharged high compression engine with cast internals and then spank it off the rev limiter until a rod gave out? We can only speculate what happened, but I'm pretty sure one thing is certain - it didn't blow itself up. Sure, you can supercharge your car and blow the engine right quick, but it's your dime on the line and I'd bet you'd be a little cautious with it at first. Would an oil-jockey or used car salesman be? Doubt it, not unless they know they're in line for an ass kicking if they screw up.

snowbird
10-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Highwaycruiser is right on the money!

Also, gradually use the power, check the AFR, the plugs, the intake and exhaust temps, use the best fuels available, use conservative timing, let it cool between runs and before shutting off the engine, don't try to do burnout on slicks with five people aboard and over a hundred degree outside temp and all their luggage for a 5 days camping hike in the trunk, don't floor it in the winter with winter blend in the tank unless you are shure about the quality of that particular fill up you have in the car and a tune specially done for winter, don't floor it in seasonal change when you are not shure when they will start to sell their winter blend crap, etc. You would be surprised on how people can do careless things !! Every week, i have to fight myself to keep discipline but i can still have fun every week without getting overboard. :)

You get almost double the output to the engine: give it a chance to serve you well while doing it. Thats what i meaned.

Marauderjack
10-04-2006, 03:41 AM
And most of all.....Beware 3-2 and 2-1 DOWNSHIFTS in wet weather!!!:eek:

Don't ask me how I know!!:shake:

Marauderjack:burn:

maraudernkc
10-04-2006, 06:36 AM
No but I would listen carefuly for detonation after each new tank of gas. We can't contol the quality of gas a person gets.

Ed Tarras
10-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the answers. Looks like you are basically saying its best not to get it blown. I have 4.10's, chip, etc. Guess I'll have to put my money into other upgrades like hedders, exhaust and drive train.
As to driving the car, no problem I know how to handle a car. Had a 2001 TA that I drove every winter. Best part was doing intentional 180 degree turns with the brake.
Thanks again for the advise.

maraudernkc
10-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I don't think anyone is saying don't supercharge your car. When you add over 150RWHP over stock there are diffrent items like fuel that become a bigger issue over a stock Marauder. Anyone that knows cars and pays attention to there car will not have a problem. Guys that want to just get in them after filling up with fuel and crank the stereo and hammer it will probably have issues. I am not saying that you are that person. There are allot of guys that have allot of miles on there supercharged Marauder's without any problems. The only problem is that big sh** eating grin and another charge on the credit card for another set of back tires.:D

Thanks for the answers. Looks like you are basically saying its best not to get it blown. I have 4.10's, chip, etc. Guess I'll have to put my money into other upgrades like hedders, exhaust and drive train.
As to driving the car, no problem I know how to handle a car. Had a 2001 TA that I drove every winter. Best part was doing intentional 180 degree turns with the brake.
Thanks again for the advise.

bigslim
10-04-2006, 06:02 PM
I baby the heck out of my Marauder. I keep up on the maintenance religiously and keep it clean. Do I drive it like I'm afraid of blowing it up? Heck no, but I've learned its personality and can tell when I'm getting overly aggressive with it - and its threshold is more than a spin around the block.

BigSlim drove my car in during MVIII and had me grabbing for the oh-***** handle a couple of times but I wasn't worried about the engine going, although I was a little concerned about my lunch. I've thrown my keys to a couple of other people and I've been amazed at the general lack of temperance displayed. This isn't a slam on Slim, I knew he was already used to a supercharged Marauder and knew what to expect, but others had no idea when they drop the hammer. I've just been happy that they kept it between the ditches.

I figure the average person treats their personal property with a great deal more respect than an owner-less car sitting out on the used car lot. Did they put 89 octane in a supercharged high compression engine with cast internals and then spank it off the rev limiter until a rod gave out? We can only speculate what happened, but I'm pretty sure one thing is certain - it didn't blow itself up. Sure, you can supercharge your car and blow the engine right quick, but it's your dime on the line and I'd bet you'd be a little cautious with it at first. Would an oil-jockey or used car salesman be? Doubt it, not unless they know they're in line for an ass kicking if they screw up.

Sorry about that JD. I do like your car. It performed great. First centrifucal I had driven. Very nice car. Sorry about the lunch.

As for babying a blown car. Heck no, don't do it. Before BradleyG got his blower I threw my keys and told him to light it up. Needless to say it put him over the edge.

Ed Tarras
10-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Ok, looks like a more positive spin on the upgrade. Guess I can live with the sh** eating grin and explain the new tires to the wife. Now the question is which one to buy?

HwyCruiser
10-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Slim, I wasn't trying to bag on you. It's pretty rare I get to ride in the Marauder and it's a whole different point of view. I enjoy riding in my Marauder when someone capable and trustworthy is behind the wheel. I just wish I had taken you up on the offer to test drive your beast.

Back to Ed's comments, I think I understand his line of thought on this. There's no doubt there's a level of risk when putting a supercharger on an engine that wasn't designed for forced induction and then having it tuned for maximum performance is flirting with a pretty hefty repair bill. If Marauders came out like this from the factory and we had as many blown engines proportionately as with the aftermarket kits so far we'd be all over Ford about it. I haven't heard any of the sc vendors assume an engine warranty - the risk is completely on the owner.

John C
10-04-2006, 08:19 PM
:beer: Hey guys, I'm the guy selling the kit. I tried to mark it sold in the classified section but couldn't get it to work. I want to thank everyone for there interest and it was taken by someone here on your website. I'm a SVT certified tech, my special is diesels but I get all the lightnings and cobras that come in with problems as well. It was a real shame, I did the used car inspection and this thing did run like STINK. The guy spent a lot of $$$ on the car, trans mods, rear control arm mods. I had never seen a marauder that was supercharged in this area but was pleased with the package. You most likely won't see anymore posts from me since I don't own one but again thanks for helping me sell something that I think would beter suit someone than myself.
take care, John

HwyCruiser
10-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for checking in John C, good you were able to make a deal on the kit so fast.

Congrats to the new owner and welcome to the family! There's a wealth info on these kits amongst our group so feel free to ask for advice when it comes time for the install.

Bradley G
10-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I still think about that ride, Slim.
I've had a few "testers", on this end too!

Sorry about that JD. I do like your car. It performed great. First centrifucal I had driven. Very nice car. Sorry about the lunch.

As for babying a blown car. Heck no, don't do it. Before BradleyG got his blower I threw my keys and told him to light it up. Needless to say it put him over the edge.

Bradley G
10-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I took a friend for a ride yesterday, he drove too, was very suprised at the level of power and comfort.

quote=Ed Tarras;426509]Ok, looks like a more positive spin on the upgrade. Guess I can live with the sh** eating grin and explain the new tires to the wife. Now the question is which one to buy?[/quote]

STLR FN
10-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Then you have me and my test drive. :shake: :burnout: :P

merc
10-05-2006, 07:01 AM
No but I would listen carefuly for detonation after each new tank of gas. We can't contol the quality of gas a person gets.

I am looking into getting one of these for testing octane because my ears can't detect detonation.
It's only Price - $3,020.00 USD :lol: :rofl:
http://www.shatox.com/images/SHATOX.jpg

Seriously, why do we need Octane Ratings?

To obtain the maximum energy from the gasoline, the compressed fuel-air
mixture inside the combustion chamber needs to burn evenly, propagating out
from the spark plug until all the fuel is consumed. This would deliver an
optimum power stroke. In real life, a series of pre-flame reactions will
occur in the unburnt "end gases" in the combustion chamber before the flame
front arrives. If these reactions form molecules or species that can
autoignite before the flame front arrives, knock will occur.

Simply put, the octane rating of the fuel reflects the ability of the
unburnt end gases to resist spontaneous autoignition under the engine test
conditions used. If autoignition occurs, it results in an extremely rapid
pressure rise, as both the desired spark-initiated flame front, and the
undesired autoignited end gas flames are expanding. The combined pressure
peak arrives slightly ahead of the normal operating pressure peak, leading
to a loss of power and eventual overheating. The end gas pressure waves are
superimposed on the main pressure wave, leading to a sawtooth pattern of
pressure oscillations that create the "knocking" sound.

The combination of intense pressure waves and overheating can induce piston
failure in a few minutes. Knock and preignition are both favoured by high
temperatures, so one may lead to the other. Under high-speed conditions
knock can lead to preignition, which then accelerates engine destruction.

maraudernkc
10-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Merc, that is sweeeeet but the price is not.

I am looking into getting one of these for testing octane because my ears can't detect detonation.
It's only Price - $3,020.00 USD :lol: :rofl:
http://www.shatox.com/images/SHATOX.jpg

Seriously, why do we need Octane Ratings?

To obtain the maximum energy from the gasoline, the compressed fuel-air
mixture inside the combustion chamber needs to burn evenly, propagating out
from the spark plug until all the fuel is consumed. This would deliver an
optimum power stroke. In real life, a series of pre-flame reactions will
occur in the unburnt "end gases" in the combustion chamber before the flame
front arrives. If these reactions form molecules or species that can
autoignite before the flame front arrives, knock will occur.

Simply put, the octane rating of the fuel reflects the ability of the
unburnt end gases to resist spontaneous autoignition under the engine test
conditions used. If autoignition occurs, it results in an extremely rapid
pressure rise, as both the desired spark-initiated flame front, and the
undesired autoignited end gas flames are expanding. The combined pressure
peak arrives slightly ahead of the normal operating pressure peak, leading
to a loss of power and eventual overheating. The end gas pressure waves are
superimposed on the main pressure wave, leading to a sawtooth pattern of
pressure oscillations that create the "knocking" sound.

The combination of intense pressure waves and overheating can induce piston
failure in a few minutes. Knock and preignition are both favoured by high
temperatures, so one may lead to the other. Under high-speed conditions
knock can lead to preignition, which then accelerates engine destruction.

snowbird
10-05-2006, 09:09 AM
WoW !

Interesting device ! Too bad about the price though.

John C
10-06-2006, 06:03 PM
I guess that I can give U guys a rundown of what happent to the motor in this poor car now that I have put in the new motor after tearing down the original to see exactly how bad things were. I knew there were gonna be problems, cylinders #6 & #7 were at about 10% on whats called a relative compression test. After tearing down the motor I found that the tops of the pistons in both cylinders were missing over half the outer edge and U could see the top compression ring all the way in to the inner edge of the ring groove. Of course there was damage to the combustion chamber in both cylinders and the valve seats were damaged as well. Dam shame, I thought about buying the core to use in my mustang, I thought sneeking in a aluminum block 4V motor (stroked to 5.0 or 5.1) with the vortech would be pretty nasty but the engine core was 1500.00 and was to much to stomach for a motor that was gonna need a 1000.00 head and then redue the bottom end.
By no means should anyone be scared of putting a supercharger on there motor. the last vehicle that I had that was blown was a 1995 Lightning and I was running 12# of boost and nitrous! It just has to be set up properly and the fuel trim/injector size and fuel pressure have to be there. And one thing, always better to be alittle on the FAT SIDE. Lean is awesome right up to the point that things give out.....

take care guys, John C

Ed Tarras
10-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Well looked at the prices for superchargers again. Think I may have to sell my MM and get a Dodge Charger or just keep the MM and do the basic bolt ons. By the time you add another $700 to $1000 for installation plus if you have to worry about checking everthing all the time.... don't know if its worth the trouble. I can see general maintance. Think when I go to the track tomorrow that will tell a lot.
Thanks again for all the information from everyone.

Paul T. Casey
10-07-2006, 01:11 PM
:up: I sure hope that Mr. John C. decides to stick around on this site. Seems like a very intellegent sort of fellow.

maraudernkc
10-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I just sold my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T and it ran a 14.1 at 99MPH bone stock. The problem with the Dodges are that you can only throw about a 100RWHP to them. They have many problems, which I will not get into right now. The Marauder is one of the best BIG CARS that you can supercharge along with the SS Impala and they make some great horsepower. Don't let these threads scare you about supercharging your Marauder. If you are smart with the way you drive and know what to listen for, you won't have a problem with any of the kits offered on this site. This of course is IMO.

Peace, Greg

Well looked at the prices for superchargers again. Think I may have to sell my MM and get a Dodge Charger or just keep the MM and do the basic bolt ons. By the time you add another $700 to $1000 for installation plus if you have to worry about checking everthing all the time.... don't know if its worth the trouble. I can see general maintance. Think when I go to the track tomorrow that will tell a lot.
Thanks again for all the information from everyone.

MM_BKK
10-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I just want to say that I'm the person that picked up this used Procharger kit from John C. Everything looks like in good condition and this is the polished head unit and it looks awesome! I can't wait to get it all installed. I just need to get some missing components and mainly the installation manual, so I'll be contacting Greg @ F.I.T Engineering first thing on Monday.

maraudernkc
10-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Congrats! PM sent.

I just want to say that I'm the person that picked up this used Procharger kit from John C. Everything looks like in good condition and this is the polished head unit and it looks awesome! I can't wait to get it all installed. I just need to get some missing components and mainly the installation manual, so I'll be contacting Greg @ F.I.T Engineering first thing on Monday.

Seneca
10-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Congratulations!! Enjoy!

Ed Tarras
10-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Went to the track. Best time was 14.76 Not at all what I was expecting. Time to do more upgrades or just sell.
Don't know what to do because I do like the car.