PDA

View Full Version : Cobra, or Kooks?

Raudermaster
10-03-2006, 07:39 PM
First off, does anyone have sound clips of the Cobra exhaust installed of what it sounds like, and what a Kooks setup sounds like? Reason I'm asking, I'm in the middle if I should get the Cobra headers from Dennis, or buy the Kooks headers directly from Kooks. Also, does anyone know what year/style Cobra headers Dennis uses? I wonder if its something eBay would have. Thanks

bigmerc'03
10-03-2006, 07:47 PM
i have the cobra shorty headers on mine from ford racing p/n M9430E465 and very happy with them but the choice is your do more research on headers for the marauder these alot of info on them .

Dennis Reinhart
10-03-2006, 07:47 PM
First off, does anyone have sound clips of the Cobra exhaust installed of what it sounds like, and what a Kooks setup sounds like? Reason I'm asking, I'm in the middle if I should get the Cobra headers from Dennis, or buy the Kooks headers directly from Kooks. Also, does anyone know what year/style Cobra headers Dennis uses? I wonder if its something eBay would have. Thanks

Well after you make the decision let me know, there is no sense in buying direct from Kooks since I am Kooks dealer and would sell it for less than you can buy direct from them. Kooks is a great system, its a lot more money and its labor intensive as well, either way I am here to help, the Kooks will make more power over a different range than the Cobra kit but both kits will improve the car as well as RWHP and sound

Raudermaster
10-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Thank you Dennis, I will let you know asap.

LVMarauder
10-04-2006, 12:19 AM
I just did the full kooks setup. The sound is rediculous. I have flow 40's , at WOT it SCREAMS but sounds like a dream. The performance is great as well. The power above 4000 rpms is very noticable. Install was a b!tch though but well worth it.

KillJoy
10-04-2006, 05:30 AM
I, personally, am leaning towards the Cobra Setup. Dennis' above explination is why. The install, sound and power range and price are not justified for my application (Vortech).

I believe the Cobra setup on a boosted upped the power about 30 and 30. Not too bad for the price. On the other hand, the Kooks would probably do better on a N/A car ;)

KillJoy

merc
10-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Also, does anyone know what year/style Cobra headers Dennis uses? I wonder if its something eBay would have. Thanks

The Cobra kit that Dennis sell uses Cobra Manifolds. Cobra Headers are a different product, Just a FYI. Both setups give you great exhaust sound. The biggest differance is in the Muffler.

Stock Marauder Manifolds on the left. 03/04 Cobra Manifolds on ther right.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/StockvsCobra.jpg

Cobra Shorty Headers installed on a Marauder
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67 56&d=1119237752

DEFYANT
10-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Search around. There is a ton of info on the subject. There have been dyno tests on both and many opinions documented. In the end, you'll need to decide what you want your car to do.

Do not base your decision based on one thread.

Good luck.

MADDOG
10-04-2006, 07:35 AM
I have the KOOK's headers with Bassani X-pipe,Super 40's and delete tips.
Since installed no complaints and alot of WOT runs:D hehe. You wont be sorry with the KOOK's, they are AWSOME!!!

SergntMac
10-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Good advice Charlie.

I have owned both DR Cobra manifolds, and a full Kook's system. Each have their qualities, but for sure, BOTH will deliver very pleasing performance.

Prolly the biggest difference is that the Kook's emit more engine bay noise, it's the nature of thin walled steel headers vs. cast iron manifolds. This is true of any header over manifold.

Raudermaster
10-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys for all your input. Although the Cobra is great for the price and probably a lot easier to install, I'll probably end up doing the Kooks headers. But, I'm still un-decided.

Shora
10-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys for all your input. Although the Cobra is great for the price and probably a lot easier to install, I'll probably end up doing the Kooks headers. But, I'm still un-decided.

What about Sainless Steel Works long headers? Any feed back from those who bought them?

CRUZTAKER
10-04-2006, 03:26 PM
What about Sainless Steel Works long headers? Any feed back from those who bought them?

The sound results are similar. ;)

It's a long tube header as is the Kooks variety.
Priced differently however.

LakeShoreDriver
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
My intuitive feeling, short of a supercharger, best bang for the buck is air in-air-out. I've been told that our OE system, cats, mufflers, is already "hi flow" which makes me think that a headers only swap (with CAI) would be all thats needed for a reasonable HP boost. Which header only mod would be best. I see no need to change h-pipe or muffler. As stated before mustang shorty flanges don't match which can add up labor costs. Comments?

sweetair
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Actually there is a constriction of the exhaust in the middle. It goes down to 2" in the middle of the exhaust. An X pipe gives much better flow than the H pipe we have. I too would like to get headers and an X pipe with some hi flow CATS as well. What I don't want to lose is the stock sound, at least not too much. I don't want to turn this into my buddies 65 Cobra!! I am still not sure what set up to go with either, and then there is finding a shop in the Maryland area to do the work. Don't mean to hi-jack the thread here.

BruteForce
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
My intuitive feeling, ... Comments?

Rather than rely on intuition, tap the years of experimentation that has already been done. My vote (both figuratively & financially) is with the Kooks headers & x-pipe system with Magnaflow hi-flo cats & mufflers ending in a set of resonator delete tips. Best mod hands down as far as "bang for the buck". Heck even if it didn't add 30 or 40 ponies, I'd have done it for the sound alone.