PDA

View Full Version : Marauder RIP

KATHYSS
05-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Hi:
Too bad, I just read in MM&FF July 03 that the Marauder is being discontinued. RIP
The Marauder should have had, even as an option , the Mustang SVT motor. Think of it!!! 390 HP 390 Ftlb 12.80 @108 mph from the article in the May 03 issue of MM&FF. done by Pauls High Performance and Jack Ryan.
The reason that the Marauder did not sell was primarily performance , but price was another important factor. I think that if performance was as above the Marauder would have sold at any price.
Just my opinion as I would hate for the car to dissappear from the market.

:( :confused:

Blue Marauder
05-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Your opinion is noted. Do you have anything useful to share? :rolleyes:

Mad4Macs
05-24-2003, 02:43 PM
New to the forums, but have lurked here for long while ;)
Biggest factor for me was simply "What's a Marauder?". I 1st heard of it when my V8 SHO was in the shop (again) 2 months ago. FMC? Ever heard the word ADVERTISING? BTW...Traded the SHO for the MM and have LOVED every minute of it;) Cost was never an issue for me.

jgc61sr2002
05-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Mad4Macs - Welcome to the MM sight, you came to the right place. Enjoy your new ride. :up: John

JLHARVEY1
05-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Everybody keeps mentioning cost. Yes, $35,000 is a lot of money, but it's relativily cheap in comparison to the cost of cars these days. Hell, a 2wd Dodge Ram Regular cab pickup approaches $35,000. A Nissan Altima can go for $32,000. Any 4wd Pickup or SUV will either match the price of the Marauder or exceed it. The MM's closest competitors (300M and Bonneville SSEi) go for about the same or more. In 2003, the Average price of a car is now $28,000. So I wouldn't say it's overpriced. I think the price is about right. And with the incentives mine only cost me $28,000. So technically, I got an above average car for the average price :-D

RCSignals
05-24-2003, 03:49 PM
KATHYSS
Assuming that won't be your first and last post, I'm curious what you base your opinion of Marauder performance on?
Experience? Just reading articles?
I assure you the performance is what Ford has always said it was. Can it be improved?, yes. That's one of the nice things about the car.
The Cobra engine might have been nice, but would it really have improved sales? It may not have, and the price certainly would have been higher.

I've read a lot of people criticising the price. You do know that people are now "stealing Marauders at around $27,500?

The MSRP is not unreasonable comparing the car and it's content to the rest of the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis line. Reducing the price by $5K as has been suggested in MM+FF, would make the MSRP less than a Crown Victoria LX Sport, or a Grand Marquis Ultimate edition. That just doesn't seem too smart.

Why is it no one blinks an eye about the pricing of a Nissan Maxima at over $30K, but the Marauder is "too much"?

studio460
05-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Okay . . .

I finally went to the newsstand and bought a copy of July MM&FF. NOW, can anyone tell me what PAGE that quote is on about the Marauder's demise? Thanks.

RCSignals
05-24-2003, 04:50 PM
NBC Shooter
I don't have the magazine yet, but I think it's in the "ThunderRoad" op-ed page

jrzygrl
05-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah...this was a thread two days ago, so what?
Who here doesn't love the car? I was looking at new town cars and Cadillacs before the MM, thought it was a great price in comparison..if it goes..who really cares? Besides isn't that why god created chips?

CRUZTAKER
05-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by KATHYSS
The reason that the Marauder did not sell was primarily performance , but price was another important factor.

MSRP? What's that?

Originally posted by RCSignals
I've read a lot of people criticising the price. You do know that people are now "stealing Marauders at around $27,500?

My performance is pretty damn good.
I paid 26.6 and with $900 in mods so far I'm at......let's see.....

What was the issue again?

TAF
05-24-2003, 05:40 PM
PLEASE tell me that in 8 years, NOBODY from here will "troll" websites for whatever will be the equivalent V-8, RWD sedan at that time (hopefully a SVT, Supercharged BlackHawk) just because we will have run out of things to talk about on our own boards...

Promise?

KATHYSS
05-24-2003, 05:48 PM
OK RC Signals and NBC Shooter, the articles are in Thunder Road Ppg12 and Dateline Detroit on Ppg26 of the July 03 issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.
I based my performance criteria on the Impala SS which is about 1/2 second faster in the quarter than the Marauder off the showroom floor.
The Marauder also has much slower top speed, limited as it is with an inferior driveshaft from the factory. The fix is a police car option driveshaft which is better balanced, allowing a higher top speed limiter setting.
The Impala SS can also out accelerate the Marauder in a passing maneuver, so had the performance been better the car would have sold better and would not have been discontinued by Ford!!!!
My opinion KATHY SS

TAF
05-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Well...at least you got the pages of the magazine right....

:lol:

Grasshopper
05-24-2003, 05:55 PM
TAF wrote:

PLEASE tell me that in 8 years, NOBODY from here will "troll" websites for whatever will be the equivalent V-8, RWD sedan at that time (hopefully a SVT, Supercharged BlackHawk) just because we will have run out of things to talk about on our own boards...

Promise?

^^^so right^^^^

TAF- I keep wondering the same thing when I read some of these posts made by...let's say...non-MM owners. I couldn't agree with you more!

RF Overlord
05-24-2003, 05:58 PM
OK, that's YOUR opinion, Kathy SS...

Why do you feel the need to come on to our Marauder site, just to tell us how much better the SS is?

NO ONE HERE CARES.

We like our cars; if you don't, don't buy one.

TAF
05-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
just to tell us how much better the SS is?

Which is ANOTHER untruth...in my book...

merc406
05-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by KATHYSS

My opinion KATHY SS

Thanks Kathy SS, your observations are duly noted and your opinion is also.

jrzygrl
05-24-2003, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty D.mn sure evryone here test drove the car before they bought it..we knew what we were getting. If I can pass some yokel on the country roads I driveand go from 60 to 90 safely and confidently than I got just what I wanted that's for sure. The looks fo the car sure don't hurt, I never caught myself taking a second look at an SS, like ever!

TAF
05-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by jrzygrl
I never caught myself taking a second look at an SS, like ever!

Unless I was walking down a dark alley in the wrong side of town...that's where MOST ALL of those cars "live" these days...isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

jrzygrl
05-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Funny you should say that TAF...

Grasshopper
05-24-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm not too up-to-date on my Chevy history, but...um...is the SS still being made? If it was such a great car, and so superior to the MM, why isn't it still being produced? When I went looking for a new car to buy, that's what I went for ...a new car. I would have loved a SS eight or nine years ago, but in 2003, I had no problems slapping down the cash for a MM. I love the performance, ride and handling of this car, and would do it again in a heartbeat (no pun intended). :P

MI2QWK4U
05-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Hey KathySS...you are one hell of a statistition! I can tell you from personal experience that the top end of the Marauder is 140 mph, I can say that the car had another 10 mph left in it, but the stock speedo stops at 140. Now how fast have YOU had a SS up to? Its funny that all I hear from SS owners critical of the Marauder is the fact that the Marauder is inferior and slow and feel the need to tell us Marauder owners so. I really havent seen the Marauder owners slinging **** at the Impala. Personally I liked the big chevy when it was out. But this is present day, and the Marauder is the best thing out there, in its first year of production, basically in its infancy. Dont even try to tell me the SS owners dont modify their cars. Thats why we are all here, to make the best of whats sitting in our garage. In a few short months we have transformed a stock car into a real pavment pounder. And if you had the information that we have access to here on this site, you would know that the Marauder will be here through 2004 model year, and if trilogy motorsports can work some magic, it may not go away during the upgrade of 2005. So keep on reading magazines who's stories were written 3 months ago, and quoting stats, but keep looking in your rear view for that fast moving black sedan about to pass you..... God, I'm getting sick of this stuff.

Blue Marauder
05-24-2003, 06:20 PM
kathySS is pretty obviously a TROLL. I don't think she'll last long here if this is all she can contribute. :rolleyes:

MI2QWK4U
05-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Blue,
A troll that feels threatened by our Marauders perhaps?

TAF
05-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Blue Marauder
kathySS is pretty obviously a TROLL.

Ya think? :confused:

deerejoe
05-24-2003, 06:58 PM
I still love my MM even when 'beaten' by a stinking Camarro the other day...top end, it left me in the dust!!
The chevy MUST have been chipped to do me in...

Guess I will have to get me an M5 Beemer!!

Marauder57
05-24-2003, 06:59 PM
All I can say for the critical SS crew:
"Once again, jealously rears its ugly head!" :D

The SS was/is a great car. But for me now...the MM is the Bees Knees! Love the car......the SS lovers and MM lovers wanted the same thing...a slick RWD classic muscle car....both fit the bill....the "my car is better than yours"...is really ridiculous.

I just love my MM more every day....

Blue Marauder
05-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Trolls are like open sores. If you quit picking at them they will go away on their own.

Time to close this one, I think. :down:

BlackHole
05-24-2003, 07:14 PM
And whats GM's answer

Oh a 240 HP V6 FWD econobox:confused:
Gee lets recap shall we

To be a performance oriented vehicle it has to be RWD and what does GM have to compete against this trio

2003 Lightning an over bloted in weight and priced truck
2003 Cobra Nothing I think even the new GTO is nothing but a rebadged Grand Prix.
2003 Marauder the formentioned FWD econobox

Looks like GM has a vette complextion they need to get rid of then maybe they can move forward.

BlackHole
05-24-2003, 07:17 PM
And another thing I've raced agaist a 95 Imp stock for stock and lets just say that 1/2 second being quicker is nothing more than an urban legand.;)

SergntMac
05-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Troll...Vote to close. Pitch this to the MM.net graveyard, ASAP. Park this bull***** next to other SS garbage in the hidden parking lot we share here.

Then...No one will ever see it again.

I never thought any SS owner could be so stupid. Both the SS and the MM have grandparents, police cars that served very honorable careers. What a shame that it comes down to this crap. Some juveniles really never grow up, eh?

martyo
05-24-2003, 07:26 PM
Yawn.......

mad man
05-24-2003, 07:30 PM
logan were are you :help:

deerejoe
05-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Speaking of TRUCKS......
I just got a '03 Dodge Ram 1500 SWB 4X4 with the HEMI engine, 5 speed hydro and the only truck I can't pass is the FUEL truck!!

This 'sucker' will have the oil cartel leaping for joy!!
It's my contribution to the economy.....but boy does it sound off with AUTHORITY!!!!!
Pardon me while I drop in for another 26 gallons of 89 octane.
Fill 'er up again!!

mad man
05-24-2003, 07:34 PM
brother are you lost

BlackHole
05-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by deerejoe
Speaking of TRUCKS......

Pardon me while I drop in for another 26 gallons of 89 octane.
Fill 'er up again!!

Try 25 GAL. of 91 or higher octane for me and with prices up around $1.75 OUCH!!!!

jrzygrl
05-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Geez, like beatin' a dead horse, shut it down already...

WolfeBros
05-24-2003, 07:57 PM
We need to learn to not feed the trolls. They can only live if we let them. ;)

RCSignals
05-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Sorry KATHYSS, you need to do a little more research.
Disappointing, since you've been a member since September

Blue Marauder
05-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Argueing with a troll is like mud wrestleing with a pig. You both get dirty but the pig enjoys it.

RCSignals
05-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by jrzygrl
I never caught myself taking a second look at an SS, like ever!

Interesting you should note that.
The last couple days I've been going through some old magazines, from '90 to '98, to see what's worth keeping or clipping from.
Seems the "Caprice" styling wasn't too well received. Claims were made that GM made no or very few chassis changes from '77. The change of the rear wheel arches helped opinion of appearance somewhat. Generally reviews were just so-so and smiley. Maybe that's one reason GM ended the Body on frame passenger car line?

Not that it matters, it's all history.

Bigdogjim
05-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Well I guess she got her laugh :bs:

Mad4Macs
05-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Guys??? Lets end this soon. I just joined MM.net, made my 1st post as a reply to KathySS, and stand by my 1st comment. The car was NOT overpriced for me. If it was too much for KathySS to afford, I am truly sorry for her lack of ability to earn the things in life that I enjoy. Get a better job, ok? Don't complain HERE that you can't afford the MM, go buy a Chevy and be happy about it :)

yorks
05-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Vote to close.
Seconded. Logan? LML?

SergntMac
05-25-2003, 04:22 AM
Bet if I mention some special key words, this thread will not only close, it never happened...watch this...

Union Grove...

GLD...

Impala SS...

Oh well...It's early, and a holiday weekend...

Menace
05-25-2003, 05:19 AM
A stock MM will not do 140. A chipped one will.

Blue Marauder
05-25-2003, 06:59 AM
:sleepy:

Just woke up. Is this thread still alive?

Mercury_Rising
05-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Why do any of you care what is stated in a magazine?, or by anyone else for that matter?
If you have a Marauder, I'm sure you enjoy the car. If you want more performance, that is accessible.

"$35000 is not an accurate price range any more. $27000 with rebates is more like it. You can't find anything close to the Marauder for that price.

If the current Marauder is discontinued, all the better for us "lucky" few.

4 pages on this "discussion" is a waste of space!

see ya

hd2805
05-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Having owned a MM since last October and SS since 96 I was very unhappy with the MM after purchase....
I added Dennis gears, chip etc...etc.. And now do not drive the SS at all, the MM is quicker, handles better, more comfortable and certainly has all the buttons in it that I wish I could have had in the SS 7 years ago..
58 Chev's were nice, 96 Impala's were very nice and 03 MM are great!! I'n sure 7 years from now we will look back and say "the 03 MM was a neat car" but more than likely be driving something newer...

martyo
05-25-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by hd2805
Having owned a MM since last October and SS since 96 I was very unhappy with the MM after purchase....
I added Dennis gears, chip etc...etc.. And now do not drive the SS at all, the MM is quicker, handles better, more comfortable and certainly has all the buttons in it that I wish I could have had in the SS 7 years ago..
58 Chev's were nice, 96 Impala's were very nice and 03 MM are great!! I'n sure 7 years from now we will look back and say "the 03 MM was a neat car" but more than likely be driving something newer...

Based on this post, I suggest that we once and for all put a bullet through this thread and CLOSE IT!!!

SergntMac
05-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Man...I't like one of those freaking joke birthday candles you can never blow out...Jeeze

jgc61sr2002
05-25-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by martyo
Based on this post, I suggest that we once and for all put a bullet through this thread and CLOSE IT!!! Marty - I concur. John

Billatpro
05-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Why do any of you reply to these post, to be ignored is the ultimate insult!

Logan
05-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Enough.