PDA

View Full Version : CAM Draggin'

Joe Walsh
10-04-2006, 04:03 PM
OK, I've been trying to get the Marauder to the dragstrip for weeks and haven't had any luck...:(
I missed the get together up at Cecil County, then I couldn't get out of work early this past Friday evening to hit Capitol Raceway...:mad:
Now this Friday evening is looking like a rainout....:mad2:

But!
On Saturday & Sunday October 21st, 22nd Maryland Int'l Raceway in Budds Creek, Md. is having a BIG All Ford Show, Swapmeet, and Drags.
I think that this is the continuation of the All Ford Show that was held each October at the now closed 75-80 Dragway.
(BTW: merc won a little spending money at last year's event.;) )

Anyone interested in driving down for a little tire smokin'???:burnout:

linky: www.mirdrag.com

DEFYANT
10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Subscribing......

:D

MarauderMark
10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Subscribing......

:D

Ditto:D .....

merc
10-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I will be at MIR both days. I need some track time before SSH6 in November.

Breadfan
10-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm going for maybe Saturday. I want a few more runs but may bow out after time trials - I need to do some stuff to the car prior to that tuning wise, if I do that in time I'll race otherwise I'll show. Either way I want to spectate some good racing too and offer my services in the pits.

Joe Walsh
10-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I will be at MIR both days.

Mark, Is this event new for MIR?..or is it something that they've done for years?

merc
10-05-2006, 03:49 AM
Mark, Is this event new for MIR?..or is it something that they've done for years?

It's the 13th annual. I have known about it for the last couple of years, but never attended.

http://www.mirdrag.com/v2/flyers/event/pdf/06_ford.pdf

merc6
10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
:( saturday is a maybe...sunday is a confirmed no due to Auto-X event. What were the times you guys were going to be there on saturday?

ctrlraven
10-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I could make it on Sunday and would like to go if anyone else in the area wants to. Oh anyone got a spare set of rims with drag radials I could use for the day? I'm going to try my best to get into the 13's with the lease amount of performance mods.

sweetair
10-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I would like to go on Sat. Sun probably won't work for me. If Sunday does work out, I could go one of the two days. I wouldn't mind trying to get into the low 13's. That should not be too much of a problem.:D I'll keep posted for when people are going to try to go. Thanks Joe.

Would I need a helmet or a jacket? Anyone know?

DEFYANT
10-05-2006, 07:32 PM
If you run faster than 13.99, you'll need a helmet.

Breadfan
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
You're S/C so technically you need a jacket too.

I can pack mine, even if I don't race I could have them, I have a big head and I'm 6'4" so no guaruntees of fit!

merc
10-05-2006, 07:48 PM

Wow, I think I might need one also :eek: thanks for the reminder.

ctrlraven
10-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah yeah yeah you guys and your sub 14 sec marauders, you all just wait lol Hey Mike wanna let me borrow your DRs? lol I'll give ya uh umm a cookie? My friend gave me a set of his 17x8 mustang gt oem wheels (245/45-17) might just bring those with me and burn off whats left of the tread. Just need to go get some wd-40 and shrink wrap the tires after I spray them, that will soften them right up.

Joe Walsh
10-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah yeah yeah you guys and your sub 14 sec marauders, you all just wait lol Hey Mike wanna let me borrow your DRs? lol I'll give ya uh umm a cookie? My friend gave me a set of his 17x8 mustang gt oem wheels (245/45-17) might just bring those with me and burn off whats left of the tread. Just need to go get some wd-40 and shrink wrap the tires after I spray them, that will soften them right up.

Sub 13 second...heh heh heh....:D

BTW: Chris, I finally caught up with my friend about the CVPI rims...should get them from him next weekend.

Breadfan
10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I'll have my dr's if I race, otherwise I may not b/c they're in storage at someone's house right now. We'll see if I got 'em or not, I'll know as it gets sooner. :)

sweetair
10-06-2006, 07:13 PM

I can pack mine, even if I don't race I coulIs therd have them, I have a big head and I'm 6'4" so no guaruntees of fit!A jacket O will get. Is there a spare helmet somewhere?? Anyone, anyone??

Breadfan
10-06-2006, 07:38 PM
If I'm there I'll bring mine, it's a 2XL helmet though. I do have a smaller motorcycle helmet I'll bring too but it's old - should pass tech but it leaves stuff in your hair because the inside fabric foam is dried out...

My 2XL is a GForce and is brand new this season.

ctrlraven
10-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Sub 13 second...heh heh heh....:D

BTW: Chris, I finally caught up with my friend about the CVPI rims...should get them from him next weekend. :bows: Awesome! Where would be the best place to get some DRs from cause I'd love to have them to hit MIR with.

ctrlraven
10-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I'll have my dr's if I race, otherwise I may not b/c they're in storage at someone's house right now. We'll see if I got 'em or not, I'll know as it gets sooner. :) I was just joking but I mean if your cool with it that would be awesome, I wouldn't do a burnout on them or anything.

Breadfan
10-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Jegs is a good place if you order, price competitive and shipping for 2 tires is cheap. Your main choice is between the BFG's and the Mickey Thompsons.

Breadfan
10-06-2006, 08:40 PM
I was just joking but I mean if your cool with it that would be awesome, I wouldn't do a burnout on them or anything.

OK, if I got 'em we'll see what we can do, I only have 4 runs on them so far anyway! And even then I didn't heat them up as much as I coulda

ctrlraven
10-07-2006, 08:06 PM
255/60-16 is the size I should be looking at right to fit the CV steelies?

Breadfan
10-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Close - 255/50/16 - they're considerably shorter than stock, so it bascially gives you [numerically] more gear, about 3.90 if you have 3.55's and nearly a 4.56 if you have 4.10s

ctrlraven
10-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah I figured that out once I was looking at the tires on JEGS and other sites lol. I'll have to see how my funds will be for this month, I might just hold off on getting them until spring cause I'll want to get snow tires to put on the steelies.

Breadfan
10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
BUMP

Who's going to be there with me Saturday?

I am not racing, I'm going to enter the car show instead. I can assist others in the pits and can atleast bring tools, my jacket, and helmet. I *may* or may not have my drag radials...they're at someone elses place in storage right now, so depends on if I make it out there (i.e. if I finish cleaning my car in time!) or not.

Mike Poore
10-17-2006, 05:52 PM
If I'm there I'll bring mine, it's a 2XL helmet though. I do have a smaller motorcycle helmet I'll bring too but it's old - should pass tech but it leaves stuff in your hair because the inside fabric foam is dried out...

My 2XL is a GForce and is brand new this season.

Joe has the team DOT approved helmet I donated to the group. It fit my big noggin, so it should work for everyone. Just wear one of them biker bandannas so you're not passing cooties around. ;)

MarauderMark
10-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Joe has the team DOT approved helmet I donated to the group. It fit my big noggin, so it should work for everyone. Just wear one of them biker bandannas so you're not passing cooties around. ;)

cooties ? I remember that but am curious if we still get them anymore?:D

sweetair
10-17-2006, 07:36 PM
What day are people going. I an pretty open either day, would like to get together with other Marauders. I've got a jacket now and have already borrowed a helmet. Are people planning on Sat or Sun and what time? :banana2:

Joe Walsh
10-17-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm still not sure which day I will attend....although I'm leaning towards Sunday...I have Mike Poore's 'loner' helmet.

Breadfan
10-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I will be there Saturday. Sunday is the Northern VA Mustang Clubs cookout that I plan to attend, so I'm only good for Saturday.

merc
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I will be there Saturday. Sunday is the Northern VA Mustang Clubs cookout that I plan to attend, so I'm only good for Saturday.

Looks like we are on the same schedule :beer:

Breadfan
10-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Looks like we are on the same schedule :beer:

Cool, should be a fun weekend! I may have to take Friday off to detail my Marauder, sounds like a good excuse to skip work if I've ever heard one, right?

Badger
10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Where can one buy a helmet around Alexandria?
Any use in seeing what the Badger can do with the stock KDWS?

Breadfan
10-18-2006, 09:33 AM
I got mine from Jegs: www.jegs.com (http://www.jegs.com)

They'll ship it to your door in 1-2 days usually, so you should have it by the weekend.

Motorcycle shops come to mind for local pickups, there may be some performance shops in the area as well...maybe call some local tracks and ask if no one has a suggestion for you.

Badger
10-18-2006, 10:04 AM
I'd need a jacket as well. MIR rents helmets.

Breadfan
10-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Jeg's has jacket's too. I got the geforce brand for both.

Blown3.8
10-19-2006, 12:18 PM
My dad and i will be there sat and sun. i'll have my t bird with me this time.

I'll bring an extra helmet or 2 if anyone needs one.

you all should be ok without jackets never had a prob there at MIR but ya never know.

i have a set of 26x10.50x16 MT ET Streets for sale 150 for both, half off. Merc's got first dibs tho.

see ya'll there

merc
10-19-2006, 12:30 PM
My dad and i will be there sat and sun. i'll have my t bird with me this time.

I'll bring an extra helmet or 2 if anyone needs one.

you all should be ok without jackets never had a prob there at MIR but ya never know.

i have a set of 26x10.50x16 MT ET Streets for sale 150 for both, half off. Merc's got first dibs tho.

see ya'll there

What size tires are these ? and are you bringing the trailer to the event. I was going to the car show be changed my mind. You need to call me.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/ETStreets_464089.jpg

Badger
10-20-2006, 04:19 AM
I'll be there. Don't have the driveshaft loop installed yet so no slicks for me...
Have an electrician coming over at 0900 should be done in a few hours then I'm over to MIR.

DEFYANT
10-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Hope you guys are having fun out there. Defyant Marauder is out of service due to broken brakes :(

Bluerauder
10-21-2006, 05:55 PM
How's about an update. Who went and how did ya'll do?? :D

merc6
10-21-2006, 08:00 PM
yeah ditto. I might go tomorrow...

NATEHAWK
10-21-2006, 08:21 PM
What time u think u might go merc6....I sure would like go...

Breadfan
10-21-2006, 08:37 PM
merc will have to update his stats, I got there for gates open at 10am, I left about 6pm. I saw merc and Sherman and Chris (Blown 3.8) each run twice, the two Marauders were running 11's and 12's. I do have some video I'll fetch off the camera...

I didn't race, tried my luck in the car show. It was not participant judged, so I ended up going home with nothing. I think this may have been the reason, as always, the Marauder was getting plenty of looks, questions, and photos. There were two judges, and the classes were split into "Mustangs" and "Everything else."

Once again my poor Marauder was fighting against and older classic car loving judge and a whole bunch of old Ford's. Guess even detailed with a new show-board I couldn't reel in a trophy this time around. But as I said, it was very tough, and honestly when I went into the show I was not expecting to win much that day. I was still happy as ever to enlighten to crowds as to what a Marauder was, and had great reinforcement on the track as merc and Sherman were tearing up the pavement.

If anyone is going tommorrow and not racing try out the show see if you can represent us Marauders. :)

My plans for tommorrow have been cancelled due to rain threats, but I don't think I'll be making the trip to MIR again so will probably miss tommorrows festivities.

Charlie (Defyant...and uh for that matter the other Charlie too) we missed you down there, too bad about the brakes (Defyant).

I hadn't spectated racing all year, so had a blast doing that. Saw everything from 16-sec pickup trucks to 7 second drag cars and a 1/4mile wheelstander.

Swap meet was a bit small but good enough, got a pair of '86-era taillights for my Mustang dirt cheap so I can go between those and cheesegraters on the '90...

merc
10-21-2006, 10:19 PM
It's 1:00 in the morning an I need sleep but these numbers should tell the story 12.468@111.17, further detail in the morning. I need rest badly. :beer:

Breadfan
10-21-2006, 10:21 PM
That tells a great story so far! Congrats

teamrope
10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
It's 1:00 in the morning an I need sleep but these numbers should tell the story 12.468@111.17, further detail in the morning. I need rest badly. :beer:

Way to go Bud!

DEFYANT
10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Awsome Mark! I look forward to the details. :)

merc6
10-22-2006, 12:22 AM
What time u think u might go merc6....I sure would like go...
My bad did you get my pm? What time was good for you? I might need to wash the car before I go. Gimme a call on the 703 number cause my cell isn't loud enough to wake me.

Bluerauder
10-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Daaayuuuum. I saw your 60 foot time of 1.699 in the timeslip section. :up: Must be running new rubber on the rear end, huh. :D Great times and nice runs. How did Sherm do??

Charlie (Defyant...and uh for that matter the other Charlie too) we missed you down there, too bad about the brakes (Defyant).
Would have been nice to make it over to the car show and the racing to see the gang ..... but I had some stuff to do around the house this weekend. I can't neglect it "completely". :rofl:

Yeah Charlie --- hope the brake situation gets squared away quickly and to your satisfaction.

MarauderMark
10-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Wtg Mark:up:
Tires:
Street Radials
Race weight:
Horsepower:
60 foot time:
330 foot time:
1,000 foot time:
1/8 Mile ET:
1/8 Mile MPH:
1/4 Mile ET:
1/4 Mile MPH:
Reaction Time:
Temperature/Humidity:

merc
10-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Update on Time slip , DOT Slicks M/T ET Street. I promiss to write the story this evening, but his are a few pictures to enjoy from the event.

DTR (Sherman) Black (Merc) at MIR Ford Classic
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/Theshowdown.jpg

Sherman putting the beat down on me, but I let off the gas at the 1000 ft mark because of low rear air pressure and jello tires.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/Theshowdownpart2.jpg
It was good to see the Cammers at the event. Mike (Breadfan) and his family came home with a car show victory. :party:
From left to right Badger ,Sweetair, Breadfan, and Merc
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/CAMatMIR.jpg
Sherman and I had a good run together, but as the night went on times got better.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/Weputonashow.jpg

merc
10-22-2006, 06:41 AM
How did Sherm do??

Sherm put the screws to me and ran a 11.68 later that night. We both broke out in the second round, but we gain much respect.

DEFYANT
10-22-2006, 06:48 AM
That is an awsome pic Mark! 11.76? The crowd must have gone nuts! I'll be packing my stuff and getting out the #7 spot - for now.

merc6
10-22-2006, 08:56 AM
nate meet me there.

merc
10-22-2006, 01:33 PM
That is an awsome pic Mark! 11.76? The crowd must have gone nuts! I'll be packing my stuff and getting out the #7 spot - for now.

We were looking forward to seeing you, but SSH6 is just two weeks away. This event was a great opportunity to workout issues before the Main Event. The track announcer was giving the Marauders plenty of airtime. On my first run he gave me crap about driving past the staging line. I don’t remember the exact words but he called me a rookie and used my mistake as a template for other new racers. At the end of the day the same announcer wanted to purchase my car and gave plenty of praises to Sherman and myself, go figure.

Big House
10-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Mark,

Hella runs man...I am glad to see you get the beast done. Wish I could have been there. The wife and I just celebrated 6 years of marriage. Next time you up this way, I would love a ride, btw...who did the tune?

House

merc
10-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Mark,

Hella runs man...I am glad to see you get the beast done. Wish I could have been there. The wife and I just celebrated 6 years of marriage. Next time you up this way, I would love a ride, btw...who did the tune?

House

The big numbers for the day belongs to Sherman. I played second fiddle. The tune came stock with the Trilogy Kit. I need to make some changes to the shift points and converter lockup schedule, but other then that it works just fine. I hope you had a great celebration, see ya soon.

merc6
10-22-2006, 02:09 PM
other than me, who went today?

merc
10-22-2006, 02:16 PM
other than me, who went today?

Give up the news merc6, what happened Sunday.

Bluerauder
10-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Sherm put the screws to me and ran a 11.68 later that night. We both broke out in the second round, but we gain much respect.
Sherm is gonna have to get new plates for his car. ;) That " I Do 12s" is just plain deceptive advertising. :rofl:

Did sweetair and Badger run too?

merc
10-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Sherm is gonna have to get new plates for his car. ;) That " I Do 12s" is just plain deceptive advertising. :rofl:

Did sweetair and Badger run too?

I was telling that to Sherm all night long. I wanted him to surrender his license plates and give them to me. I guess I could get VA plates that state "I Do 13s" and go trolling for fish. Badger and Sweetair kept the stands warm, but added to the enjoyment level. It was really nice to see Mikes family at the event also. His mother was giving car cleaning tips, while his sister was making the final touches. This all amounted to a victorious day for him. Breadfan is the Iceman.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/MIRCarshow.jpg

HwyCruiser
10-22-2006, 05:23 PM

Congrats Mark! That 60 footer is awesome!

merc
10-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Congrats Mark! That 60 footer is awesome!

4:10 gears, PI converter, and MT ET Streets put me out front fast. You should have seen the wrinkle on the tires. A professional cameraman caught the picture. I am having it frame today. I almost lifted the front wheels. This winter I will be upgrading the axles. Oh did you get the DVD's I sent you?

Joe Walsh
10-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Way to go Mark!!

Killer 60 ft times!...:bows:

Sorry I could not make it. :(
Marianne and I were invited to spend the weekend at a friend's 'mountain retreat' up in Pennsylvania.
We had a great time visiting local wineries and cooking some awesome meals.

DARN!...I keep getting pushed farther down the TIMESLIP list.

It's about time I bolt on my 'TIME Machine Whistle'...heh heh heh:D

sweetair
10-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Just check'in here. It was good to see some CAMers yesterday. I had plans on improving my weak time, but wasn't able to get there until well after 1pm, and had to leave by 4pm. There will be a next time. Fun seeing Merc and Sherman go though. They were moving pretty quick. Hooking up seemed not a problem for either of them. The announcer was beating on the Marauder a little, talking about it having a Mustang GT motor, but more luxurious. He did state he wanted one as well though. He commented that those times were good for 4200 lbs. Overall great day. MIR is a top notch facility. I would like to see a taping of PINKS there. How was it today? Anyone...............

HwyCruiser
10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
4:10 gears, PI converter, and MT ET Streets put me out front fast. You should have seen the wrinkle on the tires. A professional cameraman caught the picture. I am having it frame today. I almost lifted the front wheels. This winter I will be upgrading the axles. Oh did you get the DVD's I sent you?

Yes, I received the DVD's yesterday - thanks!

It'd be cool if you could scan and post that photo. BTW, what's the poop on your tire combo (size, wheel source)? I need some options.

merc
10-23-2006, 03:55 AM

It'd be cool if you could scan and post that photo. BTW, what's the poop on your tire combo (size, wheel source)? I need some options.

15' alloy wheel (offset and brand unknown) 26x10.5x15 MT ET Streets. Tire pressure was 18 pounds. I borrowed the wheel/tire combination from Sherman's son Chris. I think it's better to use a 28-height tire because I was very close to 6,000 r.p.m. at the finish line with O/D off. In the near future I plan on purchasing a Crown Vic alloy wheel and 28x11.5.16 MT ET Streets.

Blown3.8
10-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, Mark and I swaped tires after the first time run cause Mark spun the drag radials pretty bad. So we get that done and I decide i better check the air press on them... and OH MY GOD they're at 40 psi! So I say thats the pressure you should be runnin on the front tires, no wonder you had no traction.

So the 2nd time run comes up and Mark has a good run till the end when the car started swayin on him. So he got out of it to come back and ask ?'s to make sure everything was normal. And we assured him it was just don't over correct and he had no probs after that... EXCEPT(the gear thing)... I let you fill them in on that, Mark.

And my T-Bird actually ran well on the drag radials so the tire situation worked out pretty good. My best of the weekend was a 13.82 at 85mph. Should have been a 13.5 or so at 101 going by my 8th mile time and my previous best, but i was in competition and had to let off to run my ET of 14.20 which didn't happen either. Now i wish i had just stayed in it.

The wheels Mark was using are american racing i think for a ranger so they have truck back spacing and stick out of the fender a little. Mustang wheels are perfect fit. Also the 28" tall slicks a more stable than the 26's have never had a sway prob on Sherm's with the 28's.

Defyant, We'll just have to settle the #7 spot at SSHS6, same track same conditions.

Breadfan
10-23-2006, 02:33 PM
I'll try to post the video tonight, you'll have to hear me go "What is that guy talking about?" to the announcer saying the Marauder has a Mustang GT engine, and how it's full of a "cop motor" and "cop gear" - I just had to verbally set the record straight for anyone that sees the tape. :)

merc
10-23-2006, 04:43 PM

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/Mir2006pic2.jpg

DEFYANT
10-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Geez Mark that looks awsome! I bet if you disconnected / removed the front sway bar, you'd get air under those tires! :D

Joe Walsh
10-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Geez Mark that looks awsome! I bet if you disconnected / removed the front sway bar, you'd get air under those tires! :D

:agree:

That looks incredible Mark!!! Truly sick to see that kind of launch on a lonnng 4400 LB four door sedan...:bows:

You are just about pullin' daylight!!!

DEFYANT
10-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Oh, and get some skinny front tires too!!

Joe Walsh
10-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Make sure that you turn off the rear air suspension a day or two before you go drag racing...:D

merc
10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Make sure that you turn off the rear air suspension a day or two before you go drag racing...:D

Oh, I forgot to turn off the air suspension. Oh well, next time.

HwyCruiser
10-23-2006, 08:25 PM
:agree:

That looks incredible Mark!!! Truly sick to see that kind of launch on a lonnng 4400 LB four door sedan...:bows:

You are just about pullin' daylight!!!

Wow!!!!! :bows: :bows: :bows:

Breadfan
10-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Well, as promised, here's the video. Sorry for the shakey camera work towards the end, had to zoom in pretty far and was trying to hold the camera above people's heads - yes I was standing, and so were a number of other folks as they watched these big land yachts rocketing towards the 1320 beams.

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/videos/mercandsherm01c.avi

It's DIVX so hopefully everyone can view it A-OK. Mark if you want it I have the original AVI file I can upload temporarily for you, just pm me if you want it.

As merc stated earlier this run he let off towards the end due to the squirmy tires, you can see that in the 12.6 run with a trap of only 101mph, it was clear to me the car had much more in it. I missed the 12.46 run so did not get it on tape. :(

Oh and sorry I posted 'em so late, I got caught up tonight refinishing the pair of '85-'86 Mustang tail-lights I got at the swap meet, polishing the plastic, painting the trim, and laying down some pinstripe to make them '93 Cobra clones. $25 and a bit of elbow grease and they look good as new, MAN, I love swap meets...cheesegraters on the 1990 will be takin' a break on the shelf soon...

sweetair
10-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Breadfan, I was not able to view the video. I could hear it though. Since I was there I still have the visual. 4300 lb coup?? Is that what he said at the end? It was two great runs, Merc and Sherm. Good job again.

Breadfan
11-02-2006, 07:32 PM
I used the Windows Movie Maker to encode the video as a WMV file - that should fix it. I have an older copy of DIVX and for some reason many have been having issues with my .avi's...

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/videos/mercandsherman.wmv