PDA

View Full Version : Best Brake Pads

Bigdough
10-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Im in the need of some brakes for my Marauder and I wanted to ask you guys what are the best brake pads to go with. I need something with some good performance but will last as well. I was lookin at Hawk Performance pads, any opinions on them? Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

AstroVic
10-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Just my two cents:

I have tried just about every performance brake pad out there, including some ridiculously expensive ones, but the best pad I've found is the Wagner ThermoQuiets found at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They're about $55 a set and they are extremely good pads. Plus, I think they give one free replacement set when the first set wears out.

Granted, the experience I'm speaking from is not on a Marauder. (I haven't had to replace them yet.) My experience is from my police car - a 2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - which has been used for regular patrol duties for several years.

That said, when the time comes for replacement pads on my Marauder, Wagner ThermoQuiets will be my first choice.

Again, just my thoughts...

fastblackmerc
10-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Checkout Dennis Rheinhart's website for the EBC pads. He sells a kit, maybe he'll just sell you the pads??

whoskal
10-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I have recently put EBC pads on the MM, and I have not one complaint

fastblackmerc
10-07-2006, 12:32 PM
I bought DR's EBC kit (rotors, pads and SS braklines) in the process of cleaning up the calipers and having them powdercoated (red of course).

JohnE
10-08-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm running Hawk HPS pads. They provide excellent stopping power and are fade resistant. Stops very well in an emergency while towing a loaded boat. And they can do it again back to back.

The only complaint I have is squealing noise. The rubberized film coatings I've tried on the backs don't last long and the squeal comes back. I called Hawk and found out that they have a newer design which includes a shim that mine don’t' have.

John

Cobra25
10-08-2006, 06:37 AM
I use the NAPA Carbon Ceramic Pads on My Marauder and my Dodge Ram PU. Much better than stock.

RoyLPita
10-08-2006, 07:33 AM
I have a set of front CVPI pads that I will try out when my others wear down.

Fourth Horseman
10-08-2006, 04:11 PM
The only complaint I have is squealing noise. The rubberized film coatings I've tried on the backs don't last long and the squeal comes back. I called Hawk and found out that they have a newer design which includes a shim that mine don’t' have.
John

Interesting. Did they say if they have this newer version for the rear pads or was it just for the fronts? If for the rears as well, did they get a new part number and if so would you happen to have that handy? Thanks.

Bigdough
10-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Keep the opinions coming.

Any opinions on rotors? Not lookin for a big brake kit, too much cash for me right now. Jus some slotted rotors maybe.

Directedby
10-08-2006, 11:25 PM
My Hawk pads squeaked like crazy....

Replaced them and now they are great...

AstroVic
10-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Any opinions on rotors?

Well, since you asked...

I use cryogenic rotors from www.commandautomotive.com (http://www.commandautomotive.com) on my police car. I'm not sure if the rotors are the same on the Marauders as they are on the Crown Vics, but I'm guessing they are.

They aren't really performance rotors, per se, but they're guaranteed for life never to warp. I've abused the heck out of mine for the past two years or so (about 20,000 miles of police service) and I haven't had to replace them or turn them yet.

So far, I have nothing but good things to say about them. They might be right for you, or they might not.

BTW, I think I paid about $325 for a set of four shipped to my door. JohnE (posted above) also uses them. Maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts.

MM03MOK
10-09-2006, 04:38 AM
Our sponsoring vendor, Wes Chain (wchain) at www.innovativeinterceptors.com (http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com ) is a distributor for Command Automotive. I have them on my rears.

Please support the vendors that support us.

JohnE
10-09-2006, 05:00 AM
I have about 40,000mi on Command cryogenic front rotors. These were a huge improvement! Finally I have a set of rotors, which don't warp after 10,000mi. They are the same design as the factory, except the lack of warping.

The rear Hawks on my car seem quiet. It's just the fronts that draw attention.

Fourth Horseman
10-09-2006, 10:57 AM
The rear Hawks on my car seem quiet. It's just the fronts that draw attention.

Hawk HPS pads have been very obnoxious for me on both front and rear. I no longer run them up front, but still have them in back where they're making all kinds of noise. :rolleyes:

wchain
10-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Just my two cents:

I have tried just about every performance brake pad out there, including some ridiculously expensive ones, but the best pad I've found is the Wagner ThermoQuiets found at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They're about $55 a set and they are extremely good pads. Plus, I think they give one free replacement set when the first set wears out.

Granted, the experience I'm speaking from is not on a Marauder. (I haven't had to replace them yet.) My experience is from my police car - a 2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - which has been used for regular patrol duties for several years.

That said, when the time comes for replacement pads on my Marauder, Wagner ThermoQuiets will be my first choice.

Again, just my thoughts...

Another :up: for Wagner Thermoquiets here. I have used them in all kinds of fleet and heavy duty applications with excellent Results. Plus there is a one time wear down warranty. Can't get them? I sell em!

I am using Wagner Thermoquiets on Command Rotors right now on my MM. Excellent set up. Thermoquiets are totally silent and put out virtually NO dust. I have driven several CVPIs and 9C1s at Commands set up and repeated 100+ to 0 Stops over and over again had no warpage. In fact they offer a life time warpage warranty!

Our sponsoring vendor, Wes Chain (wchain) at www.innovativeinterceptors.com (http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com/) is a distributor for Command Automotive. I have them on my rears.

Please support the vendors that support us.

Actually you have Power Slot rotors on the rears to match your slotted front ones. But they were from me too :P

ScottB
10-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Another vote for Wagner Therma-quiets. No dust, no noise, no bad fade and plenty of bite in all conditions. I use them on everything.