PDA

View Full Version : SCT tune & spark plug help

Bill Lalk
10-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Gentlemen, I just received my new xcal2 from DR and I have a question. He is not available until Tues and I want to install now. My question is, the instructions tell me how to install new tune, but what happens to factory tune?
Also, I am cofused on the plug issue. Some say to use anti-seize and others recommend not to. I have 29K on an 04'. Should I change to something other than the factory plugs and/or do I at least pull the plugs to put anti-seize on my factory ones.
Thanks for any advice,
BILL

fastblackmerc
10-07-2006, 12:29 PM
I believe the factory tune is saved to the tuner.

I went with NGK plugs in a colder heat range. Also changed the thermostat to 180 degrees. The tune I got from DR took advantage of those plus the underdrive pulleys. I recommend using anti-sieze since the steel plugs are being screwed into an aluminium head. The dissimular metals can have a reaction resutling in stripped threads in the head. You only use a small amount on anti-sieze and tighten the plugs to the specified torque (search the MM.net for the torque specs).

Marauderjack
10-07-2006, 01:49 PM
The tuner stores the "Stock" tune and there have been several folks here that didn't do the colder plugs and stat....with no apparent ill effects!!:beer:

Give it a whirl and report back with a BIG smile!!:D

Marauderjack:burnout:

ROB502
10-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I did mine about three weeks ago. No plug change or thermostsat swap just plug and go, and WOW feels like thirty more HP....:coolman:

Bill Lalk
10-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Fastblackmerc: How do the colder plugs benefit our engines(mine is stock, for now).

fastblackmerc
10-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Fastblackmerc: How do the colder plugs benefit our engines(mine is stock, for now).
Colder plugs & stat allow for a bit more timing. More timing = more HP.

RF Overlord
10-07-2006, 02:55 PM
^^^what fbm said^^^

Cooler plugs and 'stat also help reduce pre-ignition and detonation...

Bill, I will be seeing Dennis shortly and I'll ask him what he recommends for you and post his answer here later this evening.

fastblackmerc
10-07-2006, 03:00 PM
INHO... If you going to change the plugs go with a colder heat range. Same with the thermostat. I certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

MitchB
10-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Just for a heads up, if you change the plugs, do this only when the engine is cold - sitting overnight is good. Use antisieze and tighten to the specified torque value.

If you do not use antisieze, you could very well pull the threads the next time you remove the plugs and then you'll be in trouble.

Mitch

Bill Lalk
10-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Again I thank you guys for your knowledge.
Should I move up to the Denso Iridium plugs? Is there any advantage with a stock engine? And are they a colder plug?

ROADWARRIORSVT
10-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't dish out the coin for the Densos,...NGK TR6's (copper) have always served me just fine.

fastblackmerc
10-08-2006, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't dish out the coin for the Densos,...NGK TR6's (copper) have always served me just fine.
I agree......

Marauderjack
10-08-2006, 05:11 AM
I got the NGK Iridiums since several folks reported the Iridium pieces were missing from their Densos.....That can't be good!!:mad:

The NGK's are 60K+ mile plugs......worked fine with my SCT tune and I may still have a set if anyone wants them....I'll check!!:)

Running Autolite 103's withthe blower and they seem to be good for 25K+!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Smokie
10-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Whe I was N/A Dennis flashed my PCM with the program he sells, installed the Densos and cooler Stat on an otherwise bonestock car....the resulting timeslip was 14.49 @ 97.53.

As already stated the cooler Densos and Stat are not per say a go fast option, they provide a little protection against detonation in adverse conditions.

I would like to add that Dennis did not have the Densos in stock the day he did the work and installed cooler Motorcraft plugs. When I recieved the Densos a few days later in the mail, after installing them I noticed a smoother idle and a slightly better throtle tip-in.

I know all this SOTP stuff is highly suggestive so all I can tell you is the Densos were an improvement in my car...maybe this does not apply to all cars, don't know.

Bill Lalk
10-08-2006, 08:35 AM
So are the NGK-TR6's and the NGK iridiums a cooler plug than stock? And what is the torgue(in ft lbs - I don't have an inch lb) for install on a cold engine. Thanks.

fastblackmerc
10-08-2006, 09:19 AM
So are the NGK-TR6's and the NGK iridiums a cooler plug than stock? And what is the torgue(in ft lbs - I don't have an inch lb) for install on a cold engine. Thanks.
The NGK TR6's are one heat range cooler. I don't know what heat range the NGK iridiums are. Shop manual calls for 15 Nm/11 lb-ft. Remember to use a small amount of anti-sieze.

ROADWARRIORSVT
10-08-2006, 12:09 PM
The TR6s are one heat range colder than stock. Sorry, I don't recall the tq. spec.

Bill Lalk
10-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys. The 2 parts houses open today did not carry the NGK's(I live in a small town). I will do the job in a couple days.
Installing the SCT DR tune as we speak. Thanks for all your help.
Doing the oil change(12000 miles on Mobil One 0-20) today also. Will post the UOA when I receive results. All the best,
BILL

Dennis Reinhart
10-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Gentlemen, I just received my new xcal2 from DR and I have a question. He is not available until Tues and I want to install now. My question is, the instructions tell me how to install new tune, but what happens to factory tune?
Also, I am cofused on the plug issue. Some say to use anti-seize and others recommend not to. I have 29K on an 04'. Should I change to something other than the factory plugs and/or do I at least pull the plugs to put anti-seize on my factory ones.
Thanks for any advice,
BILL

The factory tune will be held in the tuner, always use anti-seize