PDA

View Full Version : Just Used Turtle Wax "ICE"

ROADWARRIORSVT
10-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm still undecided weather I like it or not. Its kinda like wiping baby oil on the car. It is shiny, but I'm wondering how much protection it'll give. Here are a few pics....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/roadwarriorsvt/videopics020.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/roadwarriorsvt/videopics004.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/roadwarriorsvt/videopics012.jpg

MeanMachine
10-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I've wondered about that stuff, hope it keeps up with the protection.

Rider90
10-07-2006, 11:59 PM
I think the kid riding the bike is checking it out, he must think it looks nice too :) Keep up the good work, let us know how it holds up.

Bluerauder
10-08-2006, 05:26 AM
I picked up some Meguiar's NXT and Turtle Wax ICE yesterday. If the weather holds today, the Bluerauder is gonna get the full treatment. :D Anybody want to stop by and help out?? ;)

Spent the day detailing the Bluerauder. ICE gives a very nice shine. It's a little difficult to tell from the pictures because of the change in light conditions. Overall, I like ICE. :up:

Hood with Just Meguiars NXT Tech Wax \/\/\/\/

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/HoodwithIce.jpg

Hood with Turtle Wax ICE over NXT \/\/\/\/

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/HoodNoIce.jpg

merc6
10-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Thinking of getting that stuff too :) Anyone use it on the rims yet?

NATEHAWK
10-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I did works good.....I also use the detailer

Bill Lalk
10-08-2006, 03:42 PM
I just used Ice for the first time today. I may be a rookie with this stuff, but I hate it. Threw the rest away. Had a hell of a time cleaning up the car after application. Took twice as long as NXT. I have no interest in the learning curve with this product. I have several reasons why I did not care for it. Just my opinion:(

merc6
10-08-2006, 04:20 PM
was it the spray bottle or the squeeze bottle you used?

Bluerauder
10-08-2006, 04:50 PM
I just used Ice for the first time today. I may be a rookie with this stuff, but I hate it. (
I also used ICE for the first time today. Pics back in post #4. I put a light coat of ICE on top of a new NXT wax job. NXT was very nice; but the ICE polish brought it up to even more of a shine.

Application of ICE was about 1/3 the time of NXT for me. I got a little heavy starting on the hood. By the time I finished the entire car, I had figured out how to just apply a very light/thin coat. I like it. The Bluerauder has never looked so good. :2thumbs: More pics of today's Meguiar's NXT and Turtle Wax ICE in my gallery.

I think the real advantage to ICE is the quick touch ups at car shows and such. It's pretty quick and easy. But that's just MHO. :D

Ryans PI
10-08-2006, 04:58 PM
I've been thinking about picking up some. The cars look great.

ctrlraven
10-08-2006, 05:03 PM
I've been using the stuff for some time now and will contiune to use it, only problem I have with it is it's hard to see to get off but you pretty much know you have to wipe the WHOLE car down anyways. 2 thumbs up to Bluerauder, thats a killer idea with using ICE on top of the NXT wax.

Bill Lalk
10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
merc6, it was the squeeze bottle(like oil).
Bluerauder, that makes sense. I am sure I put it on too thick. It would not haze over so I wiped the whole car down again, waited about a half an hour and then started to buff out. It would not. I wore out my arms trying to clear it off with out a trail. Then it had my hood sides and other places with streaks and runs to clean up. I may have messed the first application, but I redid a couple of panels with NXT to clean it up, until my arms were falling off. I would be very reluctant to try it again.

duhtroll
10-08-2006, 05:10 PM
OK, I'm being nitpicky, but there's two different levels of light in those pics so it's a bit misleading. I will try this next weekend on mine too. I'm intrgued but it seems it might be more "polish-y" than "protect-y."

I picked up some Meguiar's NXT and Turtle Wax ICE yesterday. If the weather holds today, the Bluerauder is gonna get the full treatment. :D Anybody want to stop by and help out?? ;)

Spent the day detailing the Bluerauder. ICE gives a very nice shine. It's a little difficult to tell from the pictures because of the change in light conditions. Overall, I like ICE. :up:

Hood with Just Meguiars NXT Tech Wax \/\/\/\/

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/HoodwithIce.jpg

Hood with Turtle Wax ICE over NXT \/\/\/\/

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/8/9/1/HoodNoIce.jpg

Bluerauder
10-08-2006, 05:15 PM
OK, I'm being nitpicky, but there's two different levels of light in those pics so it's a bit misleading. I will try this next weekend on mine too. I'm intrgued but it seems it might be more "polish-y" than "protect-y."
Yeah, I know. In fact I noted the change in light as such in my post. I was working as fast as I could so that I could get good before and after pictures. Sorry. But my eyeball on the scene says that ICE brought up the shine to a higher level.

And yes, ICE is a polish ..... not a wax and not a protector.

merc6
10-08-2006, 05:15 PM
I've been using the stuff for some time now and will contiune to use it, only problem I have with it is it's hard to see to get off but you pretty much know you have to wipe the WHOLE car down anyways. 2 thumbs up to Bluerauder, thats a killer idea with using ICE on top of the NXT wax.
You have a silver car man...after white, it's the next hardest color to tell if you did it right.

Bill Lalk
10-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey Bluerauder, I guess I should never use the word never. I threw out my Ice and said never again, but after reading your post I took it back out of the trash and decided(someday) I may try your idea of putting a thin coat of Ice over the NXT. How long did you wait to rub/buff it off?
How do YOU keep the NXT off your black moldings?

whoskal
10-08-2006, 09:53 PM

You need to clean your engine bay before you do anything;) :P

Bluerauder
10-09-2006, 04:45 AM
How long did you wait to rub/buff it off? How do YOU keep the NXT off your black moldings?
The directions say to wait for it to dry to a thin haze in about 3-5 minutes. I was actually going in the house to take a break and get a drink, so I would estimate about 10-15 minutes in most cases.

I took extra care in detailing around the black moldings and plastic trim. :D I'm certainly no expert on this wax and polish thing; but NXT and ICE made it pretty easy. Of course, all of my joints and muscles are stiff as heck from all the stooping and bending. :rolleyes:

fastblackmerc
10-09-2006, 06:01 AM
I just did my MM with the 3-step Meguires system after using Mother's Claybar on the entire car. I used my Porter Cable DA polisher to apply and takeoff the Meguires and my back and arms still hurt.... but the MM really looks good after 24 hours of work..... going to another car show on 10/21 so I'll just do the car with the ICE before the show and see how it looks.

ROADWARRIORSVT
10-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Fastblack,
Make sure and use the detailing mist the day of the show !!! Its a nice finishing touch.:beer:

ctrlraven
10-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Now see if you guys had a silver MM it would make things a whole lot easier lol. Only way you can tell its dirty is from the looking at the tires or actually touching the car's body otherwise I have people asking me if I just waxed it "Uh yeah like last month lol". I need to do that Meguires 3-step system soon before a car show this Saturday.

Bill Lalk
10-16-2006, 05:05 PM
It's been over a week since I did my DTR with ICE. I am refering back to my original post - I will never use ICE again. I had to clean out every crack and crevice on the car. After a few days, streaks(some massive) were showing up because in the crevices it never seems to dry. I have been rubbing out streaks over around the windows, mirrors, moldings, etc, etc. Never again. Sorry to you ICE lovers, I'm done with it.
Has anyone heard about this finish, 5 Star Shine, that's supposed to last 5 years? They say it's not a wax. I am intrigued but a little scared to be the 1st to try it. Anyone know anything? Any thoughts?
http://www.5starshine.com/

Bluerauder
10-16-2006, 05:11 PM
It's been over a week since I did my DTR with ICE. I am refering back to my original post - I will never use ICE again. I had to clean out every crack and crevice on the car. After a few days, streaks(some massive) were showing up because in the crevices it never seems to dry. I have been rubbing out streaks over around the windows, mirrors, moldings, etc, etc. Never again. Sorry to you ICE lovers, I'm done with it.
Has anyone heard about this finish, 5 Star Shine, that's supposed to last 5 years? They say it's not a wax. I am intrigued but a little scared to be the 1st to try it. Anyone know anything? Any thoughts?
Bill, sorry you had such a bad experience with ICE. :(

Personally, I like it and have not had the same issues. I just used a very light dusting of ICE. In fact, I hit the Blue MM once really quick the night before the big UPS car show. The results were good enough to earn a 2nd place in my Class (Stock 2000 through 2007) between two Ford GT supercars.

Thanks merc for the tip on ICE. It's a winner in my book. :up:

Bill Lalk
10-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey, there's no doubt the car looked fantastic when I was done. I don't think the car ever looked better. I just thought it was too much work/rubbing to get there - and then I had the entrails popping up all week. If I put it on too thin, I would imagine I would need to apply it weekly??

Rider90
10-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Bill, I just skimmed over the website. And I mean skimmed.

They claim their product will protect against acid rain and industrial fall out for five years, which is not possible. Acid rain is so harmful it will eat through your clear coat. Why would a layer of wax which is far from being as strong as your clear coat, pose any problem? Industrial fallout refers to airborn particles of steel, iron, and some other metal alloys that stick to your paint. Most commonly it is refered to hot rail dust. Waxes or sealants may provide little resistance to industrial fallout, but certainly will not be effective for five years.

Secondly they claim their products will remove minor surface swirls and give your car a mirror finish. They use this picture:
http://www.5starshine.com/images/before-and-after-opt.jpg
Nothing about that before picture is minor. If this stuff is so abrasive I would not want it on my car unless my car really needed it. I, personally, choose not to use abrasives if the clear coat is in good condition. Common misunderstanding is that abrasives need to be used to enhance the gloss, which is true for damaged clear coats, but in most cases not necessary.

I'm not saying the product will not live up to the testimonials, it probably will. But buyer beware? Give it a shot, Bill, and report to us. Just my .02 guys..

fastblackmerc
10-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Fastblack,
Make sure and use the detailing mist the day of the show !!! Its a nice finishing touch.:beer:

Of course!!!!

teamrope
10-16-2006, 08:19 PM

You need to clean your engine bay before you do anything;) :P

And don't forget the trunk. :)

Bill Lalk
10-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Rider90, Thanks a bunch for your indepth opinion. You being a detailer, I respect your opinion most. Actually, when I read there web site, I felt like I was being handed a 3:00am informercial. I don't think I can be the one who tries this and reports back, this time. Eyes too scart. Sorry. We'll have to wait for someone with bigger ones than mine to take that gamble with their paint. I was also wondering, if I did not like the product, how I would strip it off without any dulling or damage. I think this gutless guy is going to stick with NXT for now. Thanks again for your investigation.

usafsniper
10-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I use this on everything I own...never been dissatisfied with it's capabilities and it's fast...just like the name says. Made by racers, for racers. It WILL take off bugs and tar...follow the directions. Best of all...manufactured in the U.S. of A.

http://www.bubbajackstackle.com/fastwax3can.jpg

http://www.fastwax-online.com/

Rider90
10-17-2006, 05:28 AM
Rider90, Thanks a bunch for your indepth opinion. You being a detailer, I respect your opinion most. Actually, when I read there web site, I felt like I was being handed a 3:00am informercial. I don't think I can be the one who tries this and reports back, this time. Eyes too scart. Sorry. We'll have to wait for someone with bigger ones than mine to take that gamble with their paint. I was also wondering, if I did not like the product, how I would strip it off without any dulling or damage. I think this gutless guy is going to stick with NXT for now. Thanks again for your investigation.
Glad my opinion could help, Bill. As for stripping off any wax, I suggest using Dawn. I personally feel Dawn is very harsh on plastics but it does the best job at "Starting from scratch" when it comes to your clear coat. I usually mix 75% dawn and 25% of my favorite car wash suds. I be sure not to wash my car with dawn in direct sunlight and I don't let it sit on the paint too long, and most certainly do not let it sit on any black plastic trim for more than 30 seconds. Everyone has their own way of doing things though. Good luck..

duhtroll
10-17-2006, 06:08 AM
For the NXT, by the time I apply it to the rest of the car I can start over in the buffing/removal and it's dry by the time I get to each portion. Works great. Takes me about an hour to do one coat on the whole car.

The directions say to wait for it to dry to a thin haze in about 3-5 minutes. I was actually going in the house to take a break and get a drink, so I would estimate about 10-15 minutes in most cases.

I took extra care in detailing around the black moldings and plastic trim. :D I'm certainly no expert on this wax and polish thing; but NXT and ICE made it pretty easy. Of course, all of my joints and muscles are stiff as heck from all the stooping and bending. :rolleyes:

ctrlraven
10-17-2006, 07:51 AM
http://www.5starshine.com/ Cleaning out cracks and crevices? Streaks? Did you apply a THIN coat to the car, I used 5-6 drops (or less depending on surface area) of ICE on the applicator pad to do each body panel and mine is still looking great after 5 days now. I put the ICE over top the local carwash spray wax stuff they have because I didn't have time to really give her a good waxin. Before calling it a quits, give it another try but use a very small amount of stuff then make sure you buff real good.

Bill Lalk
10-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Cleaning out cracks and crevices? Streaks? Did you apply a THIN coat to the car, I used 5-6 drops (or less depending on surface area) of ICE on the applicator pad to do each body panel and mine is still looking great after 5 days now. I put the ICE over top the local carwash spray wax stuff they have because I didn't have time to really give her a good waxin. Before calling it a quits, give it another try but use a very small amount of stuff then make sure you buff real good.
Well, I'd say that would be the problem. I was squertin' streams into the sponge pad. If you put it on that thin it must be awefully temporary, ainah?
The NXT, or any paste wax for that matter, is a twice a year for me. What you think? This entire car waxing once a month thing is too much for my liking:down:

ctrlraven
10-17-2006, 01:00 PM
I wax my car every 2-3 months, it just depends on how often its driven. The more you drive it the more you wash it, clay bar it to strip all the old wax off and then re wax it. Yeah if you were squirting streams onto the pad then that's what caused your problem. I would say ICE is like a longer lasting version of detailers spray wax. As I've been using ICE for several months now, every few days I take a cotton towel and just wipe the car down once over and run my finger over the paint, if it doesnt feel smooth then I know its time to wash it again and ICE it. Takes me I dunno 30-45mins to ICE it from applying it to buffing it out. It really does a great job enhancing the shine on a already waxed and none waxed vehicle. If you only wax your car twice a year then ICE would be good to use in between waxing to keep the shine nice and bright. JMHO, to each their own of course.

Breadfan
10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think more is better in this case, once you buff it away, only a certain amount will stay behind regardless of how much you put on originally. All the excess will just end up in the polishing cloth.

I'm still happy with the ICE, I used it on my 1990 Mustang that has some faded paint and faded trim, it worked wonders all things considered.

On that I did notice that I was using too much in certain areas and I can see how that could lead to what you saw. I also vote for giving it another shot while you have it, see if it works out better for you.

Thanks for the input though, I enjoy hearing both sides, good or bad, about any product!

MERCMAN
04-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Just finished trying Turtle wax Ice on my truck before I try it on the MM

Easy to use, great shine, no powder residue

I give it a double :up: :up:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/9/7/6/MVC-004S.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/9/7/6/MVC-005S.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/9/7/6/MVC-006S.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/9/7/6/MVC-008S.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/9/7/6/MVC-009S.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/9/7/6/MVC-010S.JPG

fastblackmerc
04-28-2007, 01:52 PM
The best thing about Turtle Wax ICE is that you can apply it in the sun to a hot car.

RCSignals
04-28-2007, 01:59 PM
does it contain silicone?

Bluerauder
04-28-2007, 03:18 PM
does it contain silicone?
Label says it is a clear synthetic. Caution says "..contains petroleum distillates". Can't find any other listing for contents.

Blackened300a
04-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Its funny this thread popped up again, I clay barred my daily driver Saab and used the Ice afterwards, The car look 100% better I actually had people asking me what I was usuing because of the new found shine.

I like the Ice, easy on and easy off.

Drewstang
04-28-2007, 07:39 PM
I used Ice today for the first time. I'm not 100% sure I liked it, but I did notice alot of scratches and other small blems after using the Mr Clean Spotless rinse and soap thing. I'm starting to think that stuff strips the wax off. Ice was okay, but not spectacular.

ckadiddle
04-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Long term.... We Iced Blue Thunder just prior to MVIV, that was late Oct, early Nov. The car is garaged when at work on weekdays, exposed to oak tree crud and sun in driveway at home. Still looks great after a wash. Not quite as shiny, but still get a lot of compliments on it. May be getting time to re-Ice or hit it with the detail spray.

Architect
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM

Bluerauder...I'm a couple of years older than you and waxing, polishing, etc. is literally a pain in the back....
a couple of months ago I bought one of those little roll around seats with the little storage tray under the seat...it was on sale and I thought what the heck I might use it when I do the wheels...I normally have an old milk carton that I sit on when I do the wheels...
I used it when I was waxing below the belt line...just roll along all the way around the car...
MAN, I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE OF THESE LONG AGO...:D
Architect

Sharky
04-30-2007, 08:39 PM
I used Ice on my car yesterday. Started with the Ice Liquid Clay Bar then followed with the Ice Liquid Polish.

The Liquid Clay Bar is good for cleaning the paint before waxing, it gets light scratches, swirl marks, dried bug splats, and road tar off. I don't have any deep scratches but my guess is that it wouldn't do much for those. It's easy to use, though - rinses right off.

The Ice Liquid Polish is okay, but as others in this thread have pointed out, apply it very sparingly, or it doesn't dry. It buffs out easily, though.

ckadiddle
05-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Apply VERY VERY sparingly. Literally, you need only three or four drops on the applicator pad at a time to do a body panel. It's a thin liquid and spreads out to cover a wide area going on. After doing an entire Marauder I could not tell I had used any out of the bottle. You really use that little of it. Really.

MERCMAN
05-01-2007, 06:30 AM
^^^^^^^^What he said!!