PDA

View Full Version : Radiator hoses: suggestions?

Fourth Horseman
05-25-2003, 03:06 PM
I've got a small buldge forming in my top radiator hose and was thinking that as long as I have to replace one I might as well replace them all with some really high quality hoses.

Does anybody know if anyone is making high quality aftermarket hoses that will fit? I haven't checked the shot manual yet, are our hoses the same as the Grand Marquis'?

I thought I'd swap the thermostat for one of those that sticks open when it fails as well. Should I get one that also opens up sooner? I don't have a chip yet, so there's no concern there.

Thanks for any recommendations.

jgc61sr2002
05-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Forth Horseman - Have the dealer change the hose under warranty. I think the GM hoses are different.:(

Fourth Horseman
05-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Are hoses covered under warranty? I thought those were considered expendable parts and not covered?

I was hoping somebody made some silicone hoses or something for our cars. Too early for anything like that?

RF Overlord
05-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Fourth Horseman
I thought I'd swap the thermostat for one of those that sticks open when it fails as well. Should I get one that also opens up sooner? I don't have a chip yet, so there's no concern there.

Fourth:

Without a chip or ECM programming upgrade, I don't believe a cooler thermostat will buy you anything...OTOH, it probably wouldn't HURT anything, either... bear in mind that either one you choose will void the warranty...

RCSignals
05-25-2003, 07:17 PM
I believe your hoses should be covered by the warranty, especially this early in your car's life

If people are getting light bulbs covered, surely they can cover your hoses.

schuvwj
05-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Fourth:
Hoses, belts, tires, brakes, wipers, etc. are all cover for the first year or 12,000 miles.

Bigdogjim
05-25-2003, 07:28 PM
I do not think that will be an issue for the dealer to replace.
These items are covered under the 3year/36,000 mile bumper-bumper warranty. at least at my dealership?

drobin
05-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Fourth,

All defective hoses are covered by the bumper to bumper warranty without any cost to you. You should not have to change thermostat until its time to change coolant. Check owners manual for service interval.

Donald

TAF
05-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Just NO BLUE "ricer" hoses if you upgrade 4th!!!!!

Didn't think I needed to say it to you...just using you "as an example" ;)

RCSignals
05-25-2003, 08:11 PM
Speaking of Blue hoses. I'd like to see a silicone hose option for the Marauder like is available for the CVPI. Most of the CVPI kit would work (heater hoses, etc), but the upper radiator hose would have to be modified, and an oil cooler or piece of tubing replacing it, be used for the lower radiator.

Fourth Horseman
05-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Hehe, no, no blue, TAF. :D But nice silicone hoses would be a great option. Maybe they'll have some available in a couple of years when it comes time ot replace the hoses.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll stop in at the dealer and see about having them replace the hose with the buldge in it. I'm gunshy about letting them near my car after all the rear-suspension trouble they've put me through, but I guess they probably can't screw this up too badly. :)

SergntMac
05-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by TAF
Just NO BLUE "ricer" hoses if you upgrade 4th! Didn't think I needed to say it to you...just using you "as an example"

Ahhemmm...The "extra heavy duty" PI hoses...Nevermind.

gonzo50
05-26-2003, 05:43 PM
I'm gunshy about letting them near my car after all the rear-suspension trouble they've put me through, but I guess they probably can't screw this up too badly. :)
Only if they leave air pockets in your system, :argue: just a note of caution.

CRUZTAKER
05-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by TAF
Just NO BLUE "ricer" hoses if you upgrade 4th!!!!!

So I assume Blue wire loom is out as well.....

TAF
05-26-2003, 06:49 PM
Anybody can do blue...if they want...

I just want JeffMo's RED camcovers!!!!:pimp:

CRUZTAKER
05-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Pheeeew...

Good, I got a whole bag of blue wire loom for fiber optics I'll never use. I was thinking it might look nice in place of black.
Talk me out of it if needed though.....I have yellow as well, but that seemed a little girlie!

TAF
05-26-2003, 07:22 PM
No thanks on the yellow...but...

if you were to come across some RED....

well...

you know....to match the camcovers....

Fourth Horseman
05-26-2003, 08:14 PM
So how, exactly, is having blue hoses "ricey" but red covers and wires aren't? :D :D :D

RCSignals
05-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Good question Fourth :D

TAF
05-26-2003, 08:35 PM
So how, exactly, is having blue hoses "ricey" but red covers and wires aren't? :D :D :D

I was joking about the red wires...

Frankly...I think the red covers looked "classic american muscle", though...were is that pic...Jeffmo?

Bigdogjim
05-26-2003, 08:54 PM

I think my friend you got them on that

one:flamer: :confused: :help:

Nice work:P

studio460
05-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Well, I've always liked the look of blue plug wires . . . I think the blue silicone hoses would look good. Also has the subtle mnemonic connotation (cool blue = coolant line).

RCSignals
05-26-2003, 11:00 PM
The red cam covers looked good. The pic is in the gallery

TAF
05-27-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by RCSignals
The red cam covers looked good. The pic is in the gallery

I can't find it RC...a little assistance?

Paul T. Casey
05-27-2003, 07:17 AM
I think blue wires would look pretty mnemonic too if I knew what it meant. Always in the past I've run the correct Accel color wires, Ford = blue, Mopar = yellow, never bothered with any Gen'l Motors.

RCSignals
05-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Here you go Todd. It's under member galleries

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=469

Menace
05-27-2003, 04:35 PM
I would like to have some red wires and hoses to match my Bob White ruby red decals.

CRUZTAKER
05-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
Here you go Todd. It's under member galleries

Wow, nice look. I missed that thread. Did he explain how this became a reality?

Does anyone remember the thread url? I would like to read about that project.

TAF
05-27-2003, 06:14 PM
Thanks RC...I looked everywhere for those (I thought).

And JeffMo...that looks HOT!!! In my book...that's a classic, muscle-engine look...

RCSignals
05-28-2003, 12:45 AM
I think the S55 concept car had red covers too, with special plug covers

CRUZTAKER
06-01-2003, 09:33 AM
I was able to find nice colored vac*** hoses, but not radiator hoses. Anyone else find them yet?

RC: No one responded to my original question....."How did the red cam covers become a reality???"

martyo
06-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
RC: No one responded to my original question....."How did the red cam covers become a reality???"

Ask Jefferson, but basically he had them powder coated and they look great!

CRUZTAKER
06-01-2003, 09:54 AM
10_fourrrr.

RCSignals
06-01-2003, 04:13 PM
CRUZTAKER
Goodyear makes Blue silicone radiator hoses for the CVPI. It's an option, and the hoses may be available as a kit through a dealer.
The upper hose will be different, and the lower hose will be two piece because the CVPI has an oil cooler.
All the other hoses will be the same, heater etc.

CRUZTAKER
06-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey thanks!